A Question About "Dropping The Lowest Week" In Fantasy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Question About "Dropping The Lowest Week" In Fantasy

What prompts the question is a NASCAR league that I'm in. I don't watch it, but now I recognize drivers. I won last year.
    My question is, can I gain points by having a lower week than my so-far lowest week? I'm not even going to try to explain it further, you either get it or you don't.
    For those that do, what do you think? I know it's an abstract thought, but I think it pertinent.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

I'm Roadrunners.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

You score 110 this week, your score would go up 236. So in some sense you 'gain' points. But you gain less points than you would have if you scored a decent week.

In golf at least, and Nascar may well be the same, usually most people lose points for one of a few weeks where nobody big scores well, so the entire league scores badly. Weeks 2 and 5 in the Winter each had multiple low scores, for example. What that ends up meaning is, say week 9 above, nobody scores more than 200, and most people are in the low 100s. You'll actually do well then, because your total points for the segment will go up relative to most other people who generally have much lower week scores (dakota for example has a 110 to fall back to, so if he/she scores 150 or something, that's what they get, while you'll get 236).
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

So it'll just be what it is. That's how I figured it would be.

Comment

I'm also in a Nascar pool Sloww, and we also drop the lowest week from each segment, and snoopy has it right, there is no advantage points wise to throwing a week just to bring in your lowest points week.

My question is more about driver usage when you drop a week. In my pool you are only allowed to use 1 driver a maximum of 9 times throughout the year. So if you are at the last race of a segment (Spring for instance) and have a decent point total on your dropped week, why not pick a bunch of bottom drivers (who you would never pick otherwise) in order to save your good drivers for later in the year? It seems to me that using a good driver on a week that doesn't really matter is a waste, especially when you may need them come October.
          "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

If your goal is winning a segment, then that seems like a reasonable strategy. Certainly in golf there are weeks you don't really want to start anyone good (in particular, if it's a lousy weather weekend where the scoring might be unpredictable).
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

The golf deal, I have no plans at all about it. Zippola.

Comment

Perfect.
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                X