NHL Playoffs thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As we all expected.

Also as expected, Schneider is confirmed as the starter tonight for Vancouver.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

PULLING HIS HAIR STOPS THE FIGHT!?!?!?!?!?r

What a ridiculously girlie reason to break up a fight.

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I was thinking the same thing. WTF?
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

That was a tough loss.
          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Vancouver goes down 3-0 to the eighth seed. Could not have happened to a more deserving team.

Has an eighth seed ever swept the Presidents Trophy winners before?

Comment

Brown should have gotten the game for that hit on Sedin. Instead he got the game-winner.
              ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Having seen a few more replays of it now, I'll have to admit that the hit was clean. I still think it was late, though.
                ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

The hit was definitely clean. You could make an argument about the timing, but I don't see any further discipline being handed out, even ignoring the joke that the league has become (or rather, still is) with that sort of thing. Vancouver's inability to score is rather amazing, but full marks to LA for their defensive zone coverage. Those guys aren't giving up anything, even when they're killing a penalty.
                  "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                  "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                  "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

The Kings now remind me a lot of the 03-04 Flames, but perhaps with a bit more scoring depth.

Comment

The geniuses on the Canucks official forums are wondering why no one is running Quick.

Comment

You stay classy, Vancouver.

Shame that such a truly beautiful city is represented by such a worthless team and its dickbag fans.

Comment

I love you too.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                            Has an eighth seed ever swept the Presidents Trophy winners before?
                            In the 24 complete seasons since 85-86 when the President's Trophy was first awarded, it's never happened. (I don't really feel like looking further back than that.)

5 teams won the Trophy only to lose in the first round:
                            09-10 Caps (4-3 to Montreal)
                            08-09 Sharks (4-2 to Anaheim)
                            05-06 Red Wings (4-2 to Edmonton)
                            99-00 Blues (4-3 to San Jose)
                            90-91 Blackhawks (4-2 to North Stars)

Comment

Lucky for you, then, somebody did feel like looking further back.

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                              1937-1938

Toronto Maple Leafs vs Boston Bruins (who finished first that year).

Bruins got a bye to the semifinals.

Bruins lost three straight (and the series), 1-0 (OT), 2-1, and 3-2 (OT), getting knocked out of the Stanley cup playoffs without winning a game.

17 times since 1937, has the first place team been eliminated in the first round. None have gone 0-4, while one team went 1-4, the 1957 Red Wings, Losing a game, winning one, and then losing three straight.

The worst performance by a 1 seed vs an 8 seed, was the Sharks/Ducks series, which the Canucks have now surpassed going 0-3. So, yeah. Dubious record.

Comment

Originally posted by joncha View Post
                                I love you too.
                                Well, not you, obviously.

Comment

Working...
                                X