Baseball is Here!! MLB 2012!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
    If I wanted to discuss pythagorean records I'd be posting in Greek.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

No, it shows you who won the most games. The best team in baseball could go 0-162 (in theory).
      Bull. The reason they play a 162 games is to balance out the streaks and provide you with a big enough sample size to show whose best. Which is why they used to (and should go back to) say you can only go into the playoffs if you won your division. Why have a 162 game season otherwise?
      Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; October 19, 2012, 14:01.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I'm well aware of Craig and Freese, but neither is all that consistent - good mixed with occasional terrible (and I rode Freese in fantasy for the non-Longoria times, so I'm well aware; Craig we started the year with but had to switch out for Freese when I had too many OFs and too few 3Bs). Molina has been well known for a while now, but his hitting isn't normally stellar.

It's certainly a well built lineup, though not totally smashing, but the pitching is still a big ??; they've done very well, but they're not really established power arms or anything like that. CIN and WAS both had much better pitching staffs. If Wainwright and Carpenter pitch up to their potential, then it's pretty good; but both are significant injury questions (and Carpenter is just barely coming back from missing the year). Lance Lynn is a big question mark - maybe he'll pitch a no hitter, maybe he'll give up a dozen - and while great for a first year starter (rookie, I think?), not someone you build a rotation around.

Anyway, I don't think the Cards are a bad team, but I don't think they're in the Tigers' league, figuratively or literally of course. The top two hitters for the Tigers are better than anyone on the Cards, and their young outfield has just as much potential as the Cards' young guys.
        Like I said, AL bias. The Cards have depth straight through. As I've shown the Cards have above average hitting and fielding that is because everyone in the lineup & rotation pulls their weight. They don't have the Pujols like superstar, but its a dangerous lineup top to bottom. As you pointed out, Washington had a great pitching staff (better than Detroits) and they fell to 'em. And, of course, they have playoff experience. And let's not underestimate defense.

I'm sure in 2006, there were folks who said the Cards weren't in the Tigers league either.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• I'm not convinced the Nats staff is better than Detroit's; certainly not over the last couple months of the season. At least when looking at top-four guys.

And then, in the playoffs, they have been completely lights out.

I'm not saying the Cards don't have a chance; I learned that lesson the hard way six years ago. I just think the Tigers should win with their superior starting rotation and the (second) best position player in the league.
          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• I gotta say, at the plate, the guy had an absolutely monster year. Hidden benefit of signing Prince.

My take on the Series: If Detroit doesn't tighten up, they should win. Their pitching so far has been WAY impressive. Mostly. Closer role is the only notable scary bit. Hopefully a little rest will get Valverde right.

Oh, and thanks to Detroit for sending Sabathia home soundly thrashed. Don't know why, but I hate that guy.
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Yankees GM: A-Rod no longer untouchable
              Maybe not as far as the Yankees are concerned, but unless a club wants poison in their clubhouse, they won't touch him.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• Poison in the clubhouse?! Like in 2009 when the Yankees won the World Series with A-Rod as their 3B? I mean the guy isn't Barry Bonds - he is generally considered a pretty likable teammate. Didn't even cause the most minor of fusses when benched in the playoffs.

Comment

• He's a prima donna. On a team of prima donna's, he just another one.

Comment

• Prima donnas usually throw fits when benched or given diminished time. A-Rod has been nothing but professional.

Comment

• I can't remember hearing any big complaints about him personally or professionally (not that anyone should trust my faulty memory). All the beef about ARod just seems to be that he has a monster contract and he doesn't typically play well in October.
                      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Game 7 in the NLCS Monday night! Cain vs. Lohse! Should be fun .

Comment

• Looks like we won't get to in out if StL is in the same league as Detroit...
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• WOW, San Fran! Talk about putting it in another gear! After going down 3-1, they channeled the 2010 Giants and decided to not give up any runs. 1 run in the last three games after giving up 8 in Game 4... insane!

Kind of funny that the worst Giants starting pitcher these days is Tim Lincecum.
                            Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; October 22, 2012, 23:27.

Comment

• Wow. Both the Yankees and Cardinals ousted. Unbelievable; my dream scenario.
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Yep, totally agree with you on that, JR!

Comment

Working...
                                X