The Tim Tebow Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good point.
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Bright lights, big city for Tebow...

Jets acquired QB Tim Tebow and a 2012 seventh-round pick from the Broncos in exchange for fourth- and sixth-round picks in 2012.

Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Rams "jumped in" to the Tebow trade talks on Wednesday morning, and they along with the Jaguars and Jets were in the thick of conversations. In New York, Tebow will create some urgency for Mark Sanchez, although he's ultimately expected to be a No. 3 quarterback and package-type player. If Sanchez starts the 2012 season slow, however, we'd hardly be shocked if Tebow's quarterbacking role grew. He fits perfectly with Rex Ryan and Tony Sparano's run-heavy mindset.

Source: Jay Glazer on Twitter
      Mar 21 - 12:49 PM
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Supposedly they beat out the Packers for him.

Comment

"Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

My understanding is that it was Jacksonville and the Jets, with the Packers withdrawing when their lowball bid was trumped.

Whatev. At least he's on a team that's already a media circus.
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Strange that he wouldn't go with Jacksonville.
              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                Strange that he wouldn't go with Jacksonville.
                Jets offered the Broncos more.
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Oh yea, it was up to the Broncos. Bleh.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Or maybe not.

After word spread rapidly Wednesday that the New York Jets had acquired quarterback Tim Tebow from Denver for draft picks, the teams have encountered a hang-up in the language in Tebow's contract that could nullify the trade, a Broncos source tells ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Tebow has about $5 million worth of recapture language in his contract, meaning the Jets would have to pay back some money to Denver, and the Jets might be unwilling to do that.

The trade, then, is not finalized.

The teams agreed to the terms of the trade -- the Jets dealt fourth-round and sixth-round selections in 2012 in exchange for Tebow and a 2012 seventh-rounder from Denver -- before the Broncos asked New York to pay back a portion of bonuses and salary already paid to Tebow, sources told Schefter.

One league source said he believes the trade will go through. Sources also said that, if the trade falls apart, the St. Louis Rams could be in play for Tebow.

The same money issues in Tebow's contract caused complications for Jacksonville trying to complete a trade for Tebow earlier, sources told Schefter.
                    Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

What would the Rams do with Tebow?

Comment

Reportedly, they would use him in goal line packages, which has been a huge problem for Bradford.

Tebow is also seen as the "ultimate wildcat QB" by the Jets' OC, who IIRC was the guy who popularized it in Miami.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                          Reportedly, they would use him in goal line packages, which has been a huge problem for Bradford.

Tebow is also seen as the "ultimate wildcat QB" by the Jets' OC, who IIRC was the guy who popularized it in Miami.
                          Tony Sparano.

Comment

Oh yea, it was up to the Broncos. Bleh.
                            It may be up to Tebow.

Or so the article says but it's confusing.

Jacksonville or New York? Tim Tebow's future is up to him.

After a trade that would have sent the Broncos quarterback to the New York Jets hit a contract-related snag Wednesday afternoon, a league source tells ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that Tebow can choose whether Denver deals the former Heisman Trophy winner to his hometown Jaguars or to Rex Ryan's Jets.
                            But then...

The teams agreed to the terms of the trade -- the Jets dealt fourth-round and sixth-round selections in 2012 in exchange for Tebow and a 2012 seventh-rounder from Denver -- before the Broncos asked New York to pay back a portion of bonuses and salary already paid to Tebow, sources told Schefter.

The Jaguars, a league source told Schefter, then made an additional play to get Tebow after initially trying, and failing, to land the him earlier Wednesday.

ESPN initially reported the St. Louis Rams could be a landing place for Tebow, but sources later indicated the Rams are not serious contenders.

A source told ESPN's Ed Werder that Denver was negotiating with both the Jets and Jaguars for cash payments and will complete the trade with whichever team offers the highest amount.
                            I guess he could basically pay his way to any shortfall by the cheaper team.

Interesting choice. Go to be a backup and gimmick player on a better team or the starter on a worse team. It's like Satan in "Paradise Lost"

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                              Interesting choice. Go to be a backup and gimmick player on a better team or the starter on a worse team. It's like Satan in "Paradise Lost"
                              It would seem like being the starter would be the clear better option. Plus, with all the flak Tebow got while out in Denver he is going to be cut to shreds in New York. In Jacksonville he'll be hailed as a hometown hero, win or lose. If you are a grizzled veteran looking for one last chance to win a championship, then sure, go be a bit player in a good team that has a chance, but someone in Tebow's situation should want to craft his own destiny. Become the center piece a team can build around instead, like Denver, some sideshow that can be cast aside whenever convenient.

Comment

It would seem like being the starter would be the clear better option. Plus, with all the flak Tebow got while out in Denver he is going to be cut to shreds in New York. In Jacksonville he'll be hailed as a hometown hero, win or lose. If you are a grizzled veteran looking for one last chance to win a championship, then sure, go be a bit player in a good team that has a chance, but someone in Tebow's situation should want to craft his own destiny. Become the center piece a team can build around instead, like Denver, some sideshow that can be cast aside whenever convenient.
                                I was imagining him replacing an injured Sanchez and then leveraging his success on a strong team to a starting job elsewhere... but I guess Sanchez is pretty durable and Tebow kind of already had a lot of success that he couldn't leverage to a guaranteed starting job.

Guess Jacksonville would be the destination.

Comment

Working...
                                X