Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I doubt the Bears will pay Orton either. If they did, Forte will be even madder.
    And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

• Well initial reports are that the Bears plan to claim Orton. The thing is, the Texans, who are another likely landing spot and the only team above Chicago that could use a QB, just signed Kellen Clemens so they're probably not in the market for Orton. If Orton drops to the Bears, they might be better off waiting. But, again, reports are surfacing that the Bears plan to claim Orton off waivers.

So it'll come down to how forward-thinking and competent your GM is?
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Bears did put claim on Orton but Chiefs got him and Bears have signed Josh McCown instead. But it is still possible that Orton could be with Bears next year instead of Hanie if Chiefs do not keep Orton.

Comment

• Originally posted by demonbinder View Post
          Bears did put claim on Orton but Chiefs got him and Bears have signed Josh McCown instead. But it is still possible that Orton could be with Bears next year instead of Hanie if Chiefs do not keep Orton.

Josh McCown is so ****ty. I mean really? What? Jamarcus Russell was too high on cough syrup to answer the phone?

They didn't even bring anyone in, did they? Just said, "Hey, if we can't get Orton, why don't we bring that McNown fellow back? Anyone got Cade's number?" "Mr. Angelo, we don't want to do that! You sure you don't mean one of the McCown brothers? Josh is available, I believe." "Yeah. That'll work. We need a quarterback that hasn't had a start since 2007. He'll be fresh and hungry!"

They really didn't bring anyone in to throw, did they?
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Too bad for Orton, though:

Orton was surprisingly released by the Broncos on Tuesday. According to the Denver Post, his agent David Dunn asked the Broncos for his release, after he and his client learned that Jay Cutler would be lost for more than a month with a broken right thumb. Orton made it clear that he wanted to play for the Bears. But he ultimately has no control over that, because he's subject to the NFL's waiver wire. A club that claims him would accept the final $2.58 million due to him this season from the Broncos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post

Josh McCown is so ****ty. I mean really? What? Jamarcus Russell was too high on cough syrup to answer the phone?

They didn't even bring anyone in, did they? Just said, "Hey, if we can't get Orton, why don't we bring that McNown fellow back? Anyone got Cade's number?" "Mr. Angelo, we don't want to do that! You sure you don't mean one of the McCown brothers? Josh is available, I believe." "Yeah. That'll work. We need a quarterback that hasn't had a start since 2007. He'll be fresh and hungry!"

They really didn't bring anyone in to throw, did they?
              They were looking for someone who had knowledge of the Martz system. This is just a short term backup position because they believe Hanie can do the job until Cutler comes back. If he does badly he will not be back next year, but he won't be back anyway if he does well because of salary issues. It also looks like Martz won't be back next year either. Talk is they will move Tice up to OC job.

Comment

• Josh McCown spent one year with the 2006 Detroit Lions, of which Martz was the offensive coordinator. McCown played in no games.

So his knowledge of the Martz system is based on one year of backup duty five years ago. Interesting.

Comment

• I'm just amazed by how relatively successful the Bears have been the past few years when the organization seems incompetent to me. Granted, I don't live in Chicago so I don't know the full stories, only what I see from ESPN, etc. but between the coaching (I'm not sure what Lovie Smith even does) and the front office (this year's free agent moves, for example, left me perplexed; did the Bears really bring in all the worst players from the Dallas Cowboys?), the Bears wouldn't inspire much confidence if I were a fan.

I mean not every team can be run like the Patriots, Steelers, and Colts, but looking at, let's say, the Bears draft picks' during the Jerry Angelo tenure is disturbing.

Comment

• That has been a point of contention here. Angelo does not seem to make good decisions in draft (at least not in the first or second rounds) and Lovie can't win many challenges and seems to make bad decisions on the field, but the players do want to play for him and give maximum effort. I keep telling Ming (who hates Lovie) that regardless, he has a winning record and has gotten them to the playoffs on a pretty regular basis. The years they have not made it they have had injuries, but he does keep winning. It's a puzzle, but somehow they just keep getting it done.

Lots of people in Chicago want both Lovie and Angelo gone, but while they keep winning, it won't happen.

Comment

• Bringing in MBIII as a backup/goal line RB was actually a savvy move.
                      Sam Hurd was brought in to be gunner on special teams, at which he has excelled, while making minor contributions as WR5/6.
                      Roy Williams was obviously a stupid move.

Agreed that Angelo has made a raft of questionable signings and unproductive early draft picks.

The one thing that seems consistent is that, for whatever reason, players play hard for Lovie. Plus, he knows how to run a defense. Must be some locker room/motivational magic going on, because his players do go to war for him. And in the NFL, where even bad teams have talented athletes, that can be a difference-maker.
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• In case you missed it. Blount going Marshawn Lynch-style on the Packers defense:
                        Last edited by Al B. Sure!; November 24, 2011, 03:50.

Comment

• That's awesome -- especially when he beats the second hit, a clear shot by Burnett and Tramon Williams.
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• I saw that run when it happened and was very happy since it helped that I had him on one of my fantasy teams.

Comment

• Boy, Suh is really stupid!! Not only does he get an unsportsmanlike penalty on a third down play that would have held Pack to a field goal, but it gets him thrown out of the game. All this after he had gone to meet with the commissioner and talk about his play. Someone on the Lions needs to sit him down and have a long talk with him.

I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up costing them a playoff spot as well.

Comment

• Good news: the Packers aren't beating Detroit.

Bad news: the Lions are.
                                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Working...
                                X