Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, no fair contradicting Alby when he's busy cherry-picking the stats that support his POV.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• If you all want to make the argument that the Patriots have a good defense (or the Packers, Saints, Lions, and Giants do, for that matter), good luck. I'm not buying it. No need to cherry pick anything. We all know the deal unless you want to lie to yourself.

Hey look the Giants gave up 17 4th quarter TD's out of 46 TD's allowed... 37% of Giants' touchdowns allowed came in the 4th quarter.

Guess that's a good argument for garbage time

(Hint: the Giants were not blowing teams out this year)
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• It's yards vs. points, Alby. Yards don't go on the scoreboard. Are the defenses good? No. Are they better than they look using the NFL's normal metrics? Yes. These are defenses that have different goals than traditional metrics are measuring.
        "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

• Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
          It's yards vs. points, Alby. Yards don't go on the scoreboard. Are the defenses good? No. Are they better than they look using the NFL's normal metrics? Yes. These are defenses that have different goals than traditional metrics are measuring.
          I already showed that the Packers only had 15+ point leads at the half 3 games this season. They were also down at the half 4 times. All other games they had small leads.

When is the garbage time happening? It's clearly not starting in the 3rd quarter, judging from the halftime scores. It could be the 4th quarter but it'll take a while to check.

I would do the same noting for the other teams but it requires looking at every single gamelog and that is tedious and time-consuming.
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Points allowed:

Packers: 19th
            Patriots: 15th
            Saints: 13th
            Giants: 25th
            Lions: 23rd

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
              I would do the same noting for the other teams but it requires looking at every single gamelog and that is tedious and time-consuming.
              Don't bother.

Please.
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Gargage time doesn't have to be from halfway through the 3rd. It's usually when a team is up at least 9 points (two scores or better) going into the final half of the 4th. Teams take their foot off the gas (except for NO in the playoffs... Detroit is going to be nasty to the Saints next year if they play each other), run the ball to eat the clock and play prevent on defense. End result is at the end of the year, teams with high powered offenses will almost always have a poorly rated pass defense and an average rush defense as their opponents abandon the run sometime in the second half.

And just for a note, when I was originally typing my opinion on this, I had actually put 'except NYG' in parenthesis.

Another statistical anomally this past season was the Eagles. They were the #4 Offense, but still managed a good defense at 8th Overall, 10th verus the Pass and 16th verus the Rush. Perhaps look for the Dream Team to gel next year or in 2013.
                Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• The Eagles had a -14 turnover differential. They also, on a related note, would fall apart in the 4th quarter. If they weren't always turning the ball over, the Eagles would have probably won 12 games.

Comment

• Wow. The ghost of Al Davis has made another coaching change!

The Oakland Raiders fired coach Hue Jackson on Tuesday, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.
                    The Raiders will never be relevant until they actually stick with a coach.

Comment

• WTF! I thought Hue Jackson did a helluva job this year.

Comment

• This is why the Bears are going to stink it up again in 2012 (and the forseeable future). Hire a new GM, they get to pick their Head Coach; unless you are in Chicago. In that case, the HC gets to pick his boss.
                        1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• The Raiders should bring back Chuckie.
                          And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

• Originally posted by Donegeal View Post
                            This is why the Bears are going to stink it up again in 2012 (and the forseeable future). Hire a new GM, they get to pick their Head Coach; unless you are in Chicago. In that case, the HC gets to pick his boss.
                            First, the Bears 2012 success will be dictated by their O-line, schedule and injuries much more than anything else.
                            B. Haven't you figured out yet that Lovie is being allowed to call the shots here? The McCaskeys LOVE Lovie.
                            3. The fact that Lovie is part of the deal does not not mean the next GM will be incompetent at his core duties.

With a 71-55 record and 3 playoffs seasons out of 8, including a Super Bowl appearance, only Halas and Ditka have been more successful coaching here. I know you're no fan of Lovie Smith, but the simple truth is that he will be coaching Da Bears for the foreseeable future.

Comment

• Sigh...

Comment

• Ditka
                                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                                X