This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
    I don't. I just don't like Eli Manning for pulling that "I don't want to play for that team" crap.

Elway did the same thing.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Yeah, hated him for that.
      There have been others. Punk-ass move.
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• That is true. I was trying to remember which other players did something similar but all I could think of was USFL players (Steve Young, Jim Kelly), dual-sport (Bo Jackson), and Bernie Kosar. It was Elway.
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
          Packers are America's team. No one likes the Cowgirls.
          IIRC, the Bears are usually in top five of this yearly poll. They and Cowboys usually are up there while other teams move around a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by demonbinder View Post
            IIRC, the Bears are usually in top five of this yearly poll. They and Cowboys usually are up there while other teams move around a lot.
            The article says it's Packers, Cowgirls, Bears, Giants, Steelers.

On the flip side, the Bears are the 2nd most disliked team. So the Bears are pretty divisive.

I'm not really sure why though. I can see hating on the Patriots (not in the top-3 hated teams?! Really?!) because they're evil and they have won so much, hating on the Steelers because they win, on the Packers because they're so dominant right now... but people really have strong opinions about the Bears? I can tell you that no one cares about the Bears on this coast. Must be the mid-west.
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• The real reason they didn't pick Cam Newton is they weren't asked about him. "Q10 Given the choices of Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethisberger, Tony Romo, Tim Tebow and Michael Vick, who is your favorite NFL quarterback?" 15% said other.

Other interesting bits from that football popularity poll.

Unfavorabilty rankings:

Vick - 43% unfavorable
              Roethisberger - 31% unfavorable
              Romo - 27% unfavorable (almost as much as rapist Ben? Are they all Dallas fans?)
              Brady - 17%
              Tebow - 15%
              Eli - 12%
              Rodgers - 8%
              Peyton - 9%
              Brees - 6%

And, somewhat predictably, there is a large partisan slant for Tebow love. 66% of self-identified conservatives see him favorably compared with 30-39% of liberals. He is listed as the favorite quarterback by 23-29% by conservatives. The next highest QB is Eli Manning with 14-13%.

Women

Interesting also is that there may be a suspicion that women like Brady because of his looks, but hie is seen as favorable by 42% of men and only 27% of women. Ladies' favorite QB is Peyton Manning with 45% favorablity (56% for men) narrowly beating out Tebow (43% favorable for women and 56% for men). Also, Big Ben is seen as favorable by only 15% of women (and 24% by men), which should be no surprise. However the unfavorable is a bit of a surprise. Men find him more unfavorable by 36% to 25%. Also, the favorite team selections are pretty evenly split by gender, the biggest difference is the Steelers. 11% of women pick them as their favorite team (second only to the Packers) yet only 6% of men consider the Steelers their favorite (in 7th place). The same odd discrepancy holds for least favorite team.

Hispanics

And while it may make sense that Vick is the most popular QB for blacks, what is curious is that Brees is the most popular for Hispanics. By a wide margin. Brees is the favorite QB for 8% of whites, 9% of blacks and 26% of Hispanics. Hispanics also like Tebow more than anyone. Hispanics also hate the Cowboys more than anyone. They are their least favorite team of 37% of Hispanics vs. 21% for whites and 25% for blacks.

Youth

Aaron Rodgers is the favorite QB of 11-14% of those 30 and older, but only 2% of those 18-29. The favorite QB among youth? The Manning brothers, tied with 18% each (more than older age groups). Also, the poll made a big deal out of the Cowboys losing their "America's Team" moniker, but among young people the name almost still holds. While still losing out to the Packers (at 23%) the Cowboys are the second favorite team among young people, selected by 20% of them. This is more than double that of older groups. When given a head to head match up, youth pick Cowboys over the Packers 38% to 26%. Also strange, the Giants are the favorite team of 14% of 30-45 year olds, but only 5% of everyone else.
              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

The article says it's Packers, Cowgirls, Bears, Giants, Steelers.

On the flip side, the Bears are the 2nd most disliked team. So the Bears are pretty divisive.

I'm not really sure why though. I can see hating on the Patriots (not in the top-3 hated teams?! Really?!) because they're evil and they have won so much, hating on the Steelers because they win, on the Packers because they're so dominant right now... but people really have strong opinions about the Bears? I can tell you that no one cares about the Bears on this coast. Must be the mid-west.
                Yea, that's odd. The only people who could really have anything against the Bears are NFC North fans. Otherwise, who cares?
                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• The Bears draw fans nationally, so it's only fair that they are disliked nationally.
                  Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                  1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• The Hispanic love for Brees is interesting. Must be a result of his San Diego days.

That QB list sucks, though. No Philip Rivers or Jay Cutler? No Mark Sanchez (whose results would test New York bias)?

Interesting that Hispanics hate the Cowgirls more than anyone when the Cowgirls' QB is Antonio Ramiro Romo, after all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donegeal View Post
                      The Bears draw fans nationally, so it's only fair that they are disliked nationally.
                      No. They don't.

I have never met a Bears fan. I know Eagles, Giants, Jets, Redskins, Cowboys (so many ****ing Cowboys' fans), Patriots, Steelers, Raiders, Packers, Chargers, Dolphins, and 49ers fans. Even a freaking Seahawks fan (which is bizarre to me). But never once have I met a Bears fan.

A Bears fan would be like a Chiefs or Browns fan. If you're fan of the Bears and not from Chicago, I'll look at you perplexed.

Not being relevant since the 80's and not even having had a star offensive player since Walter Payton does that.
                      Last edited by Al B. Sure!; December 22, 2011, 19:44.

Comment

• Actually, you're wrong Al, and you should be able to figure out why you're wrong.
                        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                          Actually, you're wrong Al, and you should be able to figure out why you're wrong.
                          Well I'm stumped. Why?

Comment

Well I'm stumped. Why?
                            1. You are using people you've met as an adequate sample size of national fandom
                            2. You have a very limited amount of people you know
                            3. You've never been to a place where a Bear Fan Club exists and I've been to several
                            4. No one who lives in Chicago would move to Philly
                            5. There has been a great migration of people over 30 years from Midwest to West Coast, that you are unaware of.

As this relates to that other post about ice hockey: JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVENT ENCOUNTERED SOMETHING DOESNT MEAN ITS UNLIKELY OR IMPOSSIBLE.
                            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• You live in Seattle.

Comment

The Hispanic love for Brees is interesting. Must be a result of his San Diego days.

That QB list sucks, though. No Philip Rivers or Jay Cutler? No Mark Sanchez (whose results would test New York bias)?

Interesting that Hispanics hate the Cowgirls more than anyone when the Cowgirls' QB is Antonio Ramiro Romo, after all.
                                Has it ever occurred to you that not all people are as eaten up with a case of the dumbass as you are, as relates to where someone is from or what's their heritage?
                                Idiot. And not because of your race. Not because you're in ****ing Philly.You're just an idiot.
                                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                                X