College Football 2013 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guy's plan

Though I'm not all that fond of even 1 at large, alas.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Oh dear.

That was at least two or three revisions ago, Imran.

Now, it is only conference champions with a maximum of one loss, and minimum of 10 FBS wins. The only downside is that is penalizes teams that schedule out-of-conference, but already barely happens anymore.

I could be talked into expanding it to two loss, 10 FBS win champions in those years that there are no undefeated teams, but I wouldn't feel good about it.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
        I could be talked into expanding it to two loss, 10 FBS win champions in those years that there are no undefeated teams, but I wouldn't feel good about it.
        Please don't.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
          Oh dear.

That was at least two or three revisions ago, Imran.

Now, it is only conference champions with a maximum of one loss, and minimum of 10 FBS wins. The only downside is that is penalizes teams that schedule out-of-conference, but already barely happens anymore.

As you can tell, I haven't been all that into college football this season until lately .

The only thing I feel unease about is the swirling nature of how many teams qualify. It'd be hard to schedule.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
            The only thing I feel unease about is the swirling nature of how many teams qualify. It'd be hard to schedule.
            This is the key feature of the Guynemer Plan that makes it more appealing than conventional playoff proposals, but also makes it all but impossible to implement. It's a flexible system that adapts to each season's results.

Comment

• Precisely.

There is no sport like college football, in the number of teams playing with such a small sample size of results; a conventional playoff would be a disservice, and truly would lessen the importance of the regular season.

As to the 2-loss issue: as I said, only in those seasons where no team goes undefeated, and even then, I wouldn't feel great about it.

This year, it would only add Wisky and Oregon, which, honestly, isn't that bad of an outcome. But I think a delta of one from the best record is key to maintaining the importance of the regular season.

Comment

• New Illinois football coach Tim Beckman has asked Vic Koenning to stay on board as a defensive coordinator. Now it's up to Koenning to decide if he would like to remain on staff as part of a new regime.

Koenning and Beckman met in person Monday, where Beckman offered him a co-defensive coordinator position. On Tuesday, Beckman called back and asked him to be the sole defensive coordinator.
                This isn't exactly boosting my confidence in the new head coach. The existing DC is interim coach, and the new guy offers him a job at a lesser position than he had before being named interim coach?

Comment

• UW-Whitewater defeated Mt.Union in the Alanzo Stagg Bowl to win it's 3rd straight Division III National Championship. In the process, they tied the longest winning streak in NCAAF history.

Congradulations Warhawks
                  Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                  1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• Temple Owls get their first bowl win in 32 years.
                    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Congrats.
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Utah State's season ends as it began, they lose on a last second touchdown.

ACK!
                        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• Lost in the shuffle of the forum going down is the BIG news of the Big-10 & Pac-12 partnership involving all sports. As it affects football, each team will play at least one game against a team of the other conference and there is talk of having a new seperate Pac-12 vs. Big-10 bowl game. Exciting stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                            Lost in the shuffle of the forum going down is the BIG news of the Big-10 & Pac-12 partnership involving all sports. As it affects football, each team will play at least one game against a team of the other conference and there is talk of having a new seperate Pac-12 vs. Big-10 bowl game. Exciting stuff.
                            We already have a Pac12 vs BIG bowl game. It's called the Rose Bowl. But if they add another bowl tie in for the BIG, maybe that will keep one of the BIG teams from the Little Ceaser's Bowl in Detroit.

Comment

• The Rose Bowl is subject to BCS machinations and the traditional matchup has been toyed with quite a few times recently.

Comment

• I think it'll be great, but Michigan and OSU are going to be relatively screwed. The plan is to match up teams based on relative strength, and Michigan and OSU already have a tougher road than all their major contender conference rivals due to the protected cross-divisional games: Michigan vs. OSU; Michigan State vs. LOLdiana; Iowa vs. Purwho; Wisconsin vs. Minnesota; Nebraska vs. the smoking crater in State College, PA.

Comment

Working...
                                X