College Football 2013 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
    ...and many people (including the media) where already discussing the likelihood of a rematch even before kickoff, let alone after the game ended.

Put it this way; let's say a conference title game features a pair of undefeated teams--Michigan/Wisky, or LSU/Georgia, or Oregon/USC, what have you. The loser of that game would almost certainly end up in the top 4--in fact, they would almost certainly end up exactly at #4, setting up a match with #1, the team that had just beaten them.

So why play the game in the first place?
    Because at the time you play the game, you don't know that Texas A&M/Boise/Missouri/whoever will puke under pressure.

You have to play the schedule.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
      No. Especially since it happened this year anyway. But I would propose conference Champions only to avoid that. I think that would increase the value of the regular season knowing if you don't win your conference, no chance for you. And I think with a 4 team playoff, that's three games that will help you forgot about that other team that didn't win their division. Bubble teams that don't make march madness whine but after a few rounds of play, everyone forgets them.

Most importantly, I miss New Years day when a few of the games meant something. Two playoff games that day would make me plan to spend my day in front of the TV, like when I was younger.
      I can agree with the sentiment. I would much rather have 4 conference champions face off and no at-large. At least that way you can kind of make it like a battle of conference champions - though I'd prefer it like European Soccer, where the playoffs crown a different champion than the team that wins the season (the one with the best record). Though it still would devalue the regular season somewhat as out of conference games wouldn't mean as much as they do now.

Though lets remember, the BCS is, indeed, a playoff. It just has the top 2 teams.

And lets be honest, even with a 4 game playoff, they aren't going to put them on the same day. One will likely be at 8 PM on New Years, the 2nd will be on 8 PM on January 2nd and then the "Championship" will be a week after.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
        Because at the time you play the game, you don't know that Texas A&M/Boise/Missouri/whoever Oklahoma St. will puke under pressure.

Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

• And lets be honest, even with a 4 game playoff, they aren't going to put them on the same day. One will likely be at 8 PM on New Years, the 2nd will be on 8 PM on January 2nd and then the "Championship" will be a week after.
          I could see (and prefer) a 3 PM and a 8 PM game on New Years but you're probably right.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

That's why I like conference winners only to qualify. It makes those conference games a heck of a lot more important and minimizes rematches.
            That will never happen.
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
              Because at the time you play the game, you don't know that Texas A&M/Boise/Missouri/whoever will puke under pressure.

I was talking specifically about the last game of the regular season/conference championships.

Comment

That will never happen.
                While I respect your opinion, I think it's not that far of a long shot.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• It's not going to happen. No one in a position of power wants to see a team like 2011 Wisconsin (a two-loss, #10 conference champion) taking up a spot in a four-team playoff. They're also never going to effectively bar Notre Dame from the playoff by limiting it to conference champs.

Comment

• I personally wouldn't have been that upset by Wisky being in it, if only because their two loses redefined the word "fluky", but I agree with your broader point.

Now the any-champ-in-the-Top-6-is-automatically-in wouldn't be terrible (or the same thing with a 6-team playoff, with any top ten champ), but those sorts of nuanced plans will never fly with a) today's sports media, or b) sports fans in general.

Comment

I personally wouldn't have been that upset by Wisky being in it
                      I would've. I'm still pissed that a two-loss LSU team won the national championship.

Comment

• Really? It doesn't show.
                        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• I added the mad smilie to show how super serious I was.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
                            It's not going to happen. No one in a position of power wants to see a team like 2011 Wisconsin (a two-loss, #10 conference champion) taking up a spot in a four-team playoff. They're also never going to effectively bar Notre Dame from the playoff by limiting it to conference champs.
                            If it's a four team playoff, every conference winner wouldn't be automatically qualified.
                            And maybe if this was in place ND might have to join a damn conference. I have no problem forcing that decision on them.
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• 112 days until the season kicks off.

Thursday August 30th.
                              UTSA at South Alabama
                              Massachusetts at Connecticut
                              South Carolina at Vanderbilt
                              UCLA at Rice
                              Louisiana Tech at Texas A&M
                              Northern Colorado at Utah
                              UCF at Akron
                              Eastern Michigan at Ball State
                              Southeast Missouri State at Central Michigan Tickets
                              Towson at Kent State
                              Minnesota at UNLV
                              McNeese State at Middle Tennessee
                              Sacramento State at New Mexico State
                              Southern Utah at Utah State
                              Eastern Washington at Idaho

South Carolina at Vandy looks like the best game. The Big Ten Network will probably carry Minnesota at UNLV. Only 112 days away

Comment

If it's a four team playoff, every conference winner wouldn't be automatically qualified.
                                Wisconsin was the fourth highest-rated conference champion last year. They would've been in if a four-team playoff limited to conference champions had been in place last year.

And maybe if this was in place ND might have to join a damn conference. I have no problem forcing that decision on them.
                                No one care about your opinion. The people whose opinions matter (university presidents and conference commissioners) aren't going to force Notre Dame into a conference.

Comment

Working...
                                X