No announcement yet.

College Football 2013 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many students go to bowl games now? Bowl games are an excuse for retired alumni to go somewhere warm in the winter.

Comment

• I'm sure it's less than it used to be, but some of the numbers they were citing seemed significant. (sorry can't find the article I was readying)
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I think both systems have their pluses and minuses. But, just in my own experience this year, I was excited to see a number of Bowl Games, while I really don't care all that much about the NFL playoffs.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
          I think both systems have their pluses and minuses. But, just in my own experience this year, I was excited to see a number of Bowl Games, while I really don't care all that much about the NFL playoffs.
          All you are saying is that you are a fan of college football and not NFL football. Were you excited about ALL of the bowl matchups? There are far too many bowls.

ACK!
          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• For me it was the opposite. I watch all of about 3 bowl games (not the last one) but managed to catch almost all of the NFL games.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuberski View Post
              All you are saying is that you are a fan of college football and not NFL football. Were you excited about ALL of the bowl matchups? There are far too many bowls.

ACK!
              It used to not be the case. I used to be a much bigger NFL fan. But I agree with Drake, that there seems to be more of an importance placed on every single game. Part of that is the lack of playoffs, but the other part (likely bigger part) is that there is a long history between the teams that face off in the regular season. The Bowl games are fun because you have two teams that not only haven't faced off against each other (usually, the National Championship Game this year was an abomination) but they likely haven't played common opponents. So a game like Oregon vs. Wisconsin is exciting for the newness of it all - as was the case with the World Series before Interleague Play was introduced.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                It used to not be the case. I used to be a much bigger NFL fan. But I agree with Drake, that there seems to be more of an importance placed on every single game. Part of that is the lack of playoffs, but the other part (likely bigger part) is that there is a long history between the teams that face off in the regular season. The Bowl games are fun because you have two teams that not only haven't faced off against each other (usually, the National Championship Game this year was an abomination) but they likely haven't played common opponents. So a game like Oregon vs. Wisconsin is exciting for the newness of it all - as was the case with the World Series before Interleague Play was introduced.
                That I an agree with, I liked the WS before interleague, as well. The NFL would be better with no interconference games, as well.

ACK!

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                  You really think the coaches would've had Boise at #2 ahead of Alabama?
                  Yes. Boise has proven they're legit over the course of several years and beat the SEC East champion, so I think that the coaches poll would've had them at #2 had they gone undefeated. Nick Saban, however, obviously would've voted them #4.

Even if the coaches had not come through, however, the Harris poll and computers would likely have vaulted Boise into the title game.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                    Wait, so the Giants beating the Packers invalidates the entire NFL playoff system, but you're actually going to quote "nearly got a fair shot" examples of how the BCS *almost* works?
                    I never said that the Giants beating the Packers "invalidates the entire NFL playoff system." I said that it's a prime example of how the NFL playoff system lessens the importance of the regular season (a basic fact), and that I personally find it distasteful (a personal preference). The NFL playoff system is just as "valid" (whatever that means) as any other system for determining a sports champion, and I'm fine with the fact that many people enjoy the NFL system. I wish NFL fans could be as understanding about the college system, which many people also enjoy.

The Boise States of the world ONLY get their shot by the grace of a failure of the "traditional power" teams above them. NEVER are they starting out from the advantaged position of the traditional powers.

Boise State began the 2011 season at #7 in the coaches poll, ahead of Florida, Miami, Michigan, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Texas and USC (listing just the schools that rank as traditional "kings" of the sport).
                    Last edited by Tupac Shakur; January 18, 2012, 20:05.

Comment

• True, but with Kellen Moore gone, they won't be ranked anywhere near the top 25. I'll bet the same can't be said for Stanford.

ACK!

Comment

• I fully expect Boise to be in the top 25 in the 2012 preseason polls. I don't expect Stanford to approach its #6 2011 preseason coaches poll rank in year one without Andrew Luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
                          I wish NFL fans could be as understanding about the college system, which many people also enjoy.
                          The majority of College fans HATE the current college system... The current system makes much of the regular college season a joke. This year the BCS made the regular season meaningless for every conference but one... Conference champions with one loss were denied a chance to prove they were the best.
                          The whole year was made a joke thanks to the BCS. And the majority of college fans can see that. Not man college fans ENJOYED what happened this year, or in many of the years with the current system.
                          Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Many, many people have been fighting for a playoff in college football for many years, but the most they could get were tiny (and usually annoying) adjustments to the system. Why? Well, you can’t sum up anything complicated with only one reason, but the big reason is probably this: College football is hugely, irrepressibly, inordinately popular. And when something is that popular, there is overpowering pressure to keep things where they are.

Comment

• In other words, the BCS finally ****ed it up so bad, that they screwed themselves.

This was simply that straw that broke the camels back. There has been outrage by REAL COLLEGE fans since the system was put in place.
                              This has NOTHING to do with making the regular season meaningless... as you so always say.
                              A 4 or 8 game playoff system would NOT make the regular season any less meaningless. If anything, it would make it more meaning full for all the teams that have never really had a fair chance to prove they are the best.

Obviously the REAL fans don't care for the current system. Many of the Bowl games had trouble selling tickets... many schools took a bath on the tickets... the ratings sucked as more and more fans found the games meaningless. The ratings sucked... and nobody seemed to really care about the "crown jewel" of the BCS.

It was time for a play off system years ago... and I'm finally happy to see just how bad the BCS screwed it up this year to help make it happen. Even the rich old white guys that have held a lock on a game that wasn't even theirs for years can't stop it now. It's about time.
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I've finally decided, I'm a high school football fan. Actually, around 10-11 years old is pretty cool to watch.
                                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                                X