College Football 2013 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
    Good. New Year's Day or the first Monday in January would be fine.
    January 9 is ridiculously far removed from the actual college football season.
    It wasn't the date that killed the ratings. It was the unappealing matchup.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
      There was nothing wrong with Alabama's offense. Running game had a high average per carry. ... I'm wondering if the FG's were to make some statement.
      You're an idiot.

LSU's run defense was simply awesome for a good portion of the game -- not including Richardson's final carry, he and Eddie Lacy combined to average 3.5 yards per carry over 35 carries

The numbers that mattered in Alabama football's 21-0 destruction of LSU in Monday night's BCS Championship game, from LSU's Spike Factor, to Alabama's tight ends, to one final Warlord-and-Koko B. Ware reference.

Comment

• No, that would be you, Mr. Fortune Teller of BCS rankings.

A. McCarron 23/34 234 yards 6.9 avg
        T. Richardson 20 carries 96 yards 4.8 avg 1 TD 34 Long
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• So in 2006 we had Michigan lose to OSU and then OSU play Florida for the BCS Title. In 2011 we have an identical situation with LSU and Bama.

College Football is now Calvin Ball.
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• ...not including Richardson's final carry...
            YOU CAN'T QUOTE STATISTICS THAT WAY!
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

But we could use median, and standard deviation to show just how anomalous it was.
              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Maybe the fact that there was only one long run is the anomaly.

"If it wasn't for that defender, he would have scored."
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• I'm not making a statement of support on either side, because I see what both are saying; but let me support MRT's assertion that it's not uncommon to throw out the top and bottom and take the mean from the balance.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Of course you can. Esp when the final carry in anomalous.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Even with the final carry, Alabama didn't have a "high average per carry" as Sloww seems to think. I quoted Connelly's piece because I had just read it and could quickly link to it; combating Sloww's idiocy is a never ending process that would break a man if he put too much time or effort into it.

College Football is now Calvin Ball.
                      College football has always been Calvin Ball. That's part of what makes it fun. It would be better if we took away some of the rules the BCS added, like requiring that the coaches vote for Alabama as national champs even though they have a weaker resume than LSU or Oklahoma State. If any year needs a split title, it's this one.

Comment

• 4.8 is an excellent average. Most backs aspire to break 4.5, or even 4.0. If you had a back averaging 4.8 yards per carry, you might throw 20 times a game and stomp ass. Time of possession would be overwhelming, in all probability.

Comment

• Wrong, as usual.

For example, Rex Burkhead averaged 4.8 yards per carry this season and 5.5 in 2010. Burkhead is a good but not great back who was literally the first running back I thought of. Alabama's average per carry in the title game was nothing special, no matter how much you want to sputter to the contrary.

edit: Trent Richardson averaged 5.9 yards per carry this season and 6.3 in 2010.
                          Last edited by Tupac Shakur; January 11, 2012, 03:14.

Comment

• RG3 on decision to go pro: 'I will always be a Baylor Bear' .

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                              4.8 is an excellent average. Most backs aspire to break 4.5, or even 4.0. If you had a back averaging 4.8 yards per carry, you might throw 20 times a game and stomp ass. Time of possession would be overwhelming, in all probability.
                              You can't compare NFL yards per carry to the college game. College has always been more offensive. (Unless you are a Ron Zook coached Illinois team).

Alabama
                              T. Richardson 283 1679 5.9
                              E. Lacy 95 674 7.1

Arkansas
                              D. Johnson 106 670 6.3
                              R. Wingo Jr. 104 458 4.4

Auburn
                              M. Dyer 242 1242 5.1
                              O. McCalebb 112 641 5.7

Florida
                              C. Rainey 171 861 5.0
                              J. Demps 98 569 5.8

Georgia
                              I. Crowell 185 850 4.6
                              C. Thomas 73 361 4.9

Kentucky
                              C. Williams 118 486 4.1
                              J. Clemons 65 279 4.3

LSU
                              M. Ford 127 756 6.0
                              S. Ware 177 707 4.0

Miss State
                              V. Ballard 193 1189 6.2
                              L. Perkins 87 422 4.9

Ole Miss
                              J. Scott 116 529 4.6
                              B. Bolden 96 472 4.9

South Carolina
                              M. Lattimore 163 818 5.0
                              C. Shaw 135 525 3.9

Tenn
                              T. Poole 187 693 3.7
                              M. Lane 75 280 3.7

Vandy
                              Z. Stacy 201 1193 5.9
                              J. Rodgers 117 420 3.6

Illinois (oh god, it was worse than I thought)
                              N. Scheelhaase 191 624 3.3
                              J. Ford 155 600 3.9

Notice the low yards per rush of Tenn, 3.7 for both leading rushers. Tenn finished 1-7 in the SEC

Comment

• As much as I love to be reminded of the Illini's futility, I don't think it's quite fair to include a quarterback when discussing rushing yards here. Don't they include sacks as a carry?

(but yes, they still sucked)
                                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X