Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look ma', I'm a lumberjack!

Thierry Henry in the US.

After the hand of the Irish, funny world cup campaign, being sold by Barcelona... now this.

This guy should have retired after leaving Arsenal.
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Does he have a reputation for dirty play?
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

no, but this one is in WFT?!? insanity category... Going to hit the ball he should not be touching (and just based on that at least earn a yellow card), and in the process hitting the goalie in the foot... absent minded, somewhere else... in Barcelona on the beach playing on the sand...
      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

He barely looks like he touched the guy's foot... the guy has the most insane and dramatic reaction for next to nothing... and then the trainer is treating the goalie's KNEE which probably got injured because ****** dived like a *****.

Soccer Even in America played by Americans it sucks balls.

EDIT: Yeah MCL sprain. Gee, I didn't know getting kicked in the foot gives you an MCL sprain!
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Keeper made a meal of that. Though to be fair, I can't tell if the fall is affected, or if its the jumpiness of the video feed that gives that impression.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
            Keeper made a meal of that. Though to be fair, I can't tell if the fall is affected, or if its the jumpiness of the video feed that gives that impression.
            All I know is his injury being an MCL sprain came from the fall, not from being kicked in the foot. I'm no doctor but the fall and the landing on his knees is what did it not the blow to his foot.

Also, look at the way he falls. I'm hesitant to believe that even a straight-on kick to the foot (which this was not! he clearly kicked the ball and the goalie's foot didn't take the brunt of the strike) as opposed to the ankle would cause someone to have their legs completely give way on them like that. If that were the case, you would see such kicks in UFC fights instead of the usual ankle kick.

It happens so fast that you can't even get a freeze frame of contact (which makes me wonder if there even was contact!) The best you can do is pause it at 16 seconds in and imagine where Henry's foot is going... you can see that his kick, if it even would strike the goalie's foot, would have been secondary (since the ball took the brunt of the kick) and that it would have struck the front of his foot, not the ankle.

You don't get taken down with a kick to the front of your foot. I don't see it happening. I also question the physics of the fall... watch some videos of ankle kicks... the feet don't fly backwards (in fact, the leg that is not struck hesitates in the fall because it is still standing when the person loses their balance... the struck foot moves first, the feet don't move in unison like with this goalie!) and someone does NOT fall forward like this goalie does. When you get taken down with an ankle kick, you fall BACKWARD! This fall is clearly staged.

The goalie was a ***** and exaggerated and ended up spraining his MCL. If you ask me, this Henry should be fined for excessive celebration IF that's a fine-able offense in the MLS but not be held culpable for this *****'s injury.
            Last edited by Al B. Sure!; September 22, 2010, 17:44.
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

In case you think, like the commentator, that the kick to the foot caused the injury and this idea about the INSIDE of the right knee...

By far the most common cause of medial collateral ligament sprain is a blow or sudden impact to the outside (lateral) of the knee joint. This causes the outside of the knee to collapse inward toward the midline of the body and the inside of the knee (where the medial collateral ligament is located) to widen and open up. This opening up stretches the ligament, which results in the injury.
              Injury to the MCL often occurs after an impact to the outside of the knee when the knee is slightly bent.
              Note... outside of the knee joint. Outside of his right knee... the commentator says inside of the right knee... he says Hartmann's knee goes outward as in from a blow to the inside of his right knee... but MCL sprain would be the opposite... the outside to collapse inward!

And obviously, Henry could not have impacted the outside of the goalie's right knee by kicking the inside of the goalie's foot.

more info on MCL sprains:

The injury is usually caused in one of two classic ways. In collision sports such as football (soccer), rugby, and American football, the Medial ligament can be damaged when an opponent applies a force (usually from their knee) to the outside aspect of the leg, just above the knee. Alternatively the Medial ligament can be damaged if the studs get caught in turf and the player tries to turn to the side, away from the planted leg.
              It's clear what caused the MCL sprain. It wasn't Henry.

Comment

I'd hate to think I gave my analysis to deaf ears

Comment

I blame Henry for this old injury too.

One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                  X