Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A wise choice I suspect.

I'm not sure there are any stand out A list referees at the moment? Most of the talking points last weekend seem to be regarding the differing tip tackles and cards for same.

Although obviously there is a sprinkling of Welsh men talking Grand Slams too.
    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• I'm amazed Ferris has been cited. Some backside-covering going on, methinks, for the appalling yellow card recommendation from Pearson. Actually, Barnes should have overruled him or at least queried the yellow recommendation. He has the power to do both. What Pearson described was the very basis of a red card.

Joubert was very good in the WC till the final. Steve Walsh wasn't far behind. I look forward to seeing him again to see if he maintains it. The chappie has turned his life around.

Ah Welshmen. The NH's answer to Queenslanders.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• So...who is watching SBW's pugalism?

This guy isn't a fat, aging Tongan: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news...ectid=10784069

Comment

• No, he's a fat ageing American.
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Dangerous Dan will no longer be dangerous for Scotland

Scotland stand-off Dan Parks announces his retirement from international rugby with immediate effect.

He comments on the positive experiences he has had with Scotland. However, the fact he is retiring now and not at the end of the campaign tells it all. Dan Parks...on occasion awesome, on occasion awful...one hell of a place kicker and not solely responsible for our loss on Saturday. May he enjoy a happy retirement from International rugby.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar View Post
              No, he's a fat ageing American.
              Hmm, I spelt it the American way...becoming a Canadian won't be difficult at all.

Comment

• Frankly I am amazed that the NZ Union is letting SBW box. I do love the staged 'scuffles' at weigh-ins though.

Hard not to fell sorry for the retiring aussie born scot. I did say I hope his team mates had words with him in the changing rooms - but it appears the stress of allowing Charlie to score may have actually broken him in the end.
                It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Originally posted by kittenOFchaos View Post
                  Hmm, I spelt it the American way...becoming a Canadian won't be difficult at all.
                  Just fly the flag for Real Spelling as a Canadian. They're nice people. They'll understand. We had a Canadian couple (from Vancouver) here for five or six years. They returned to Canada last year. Miss them terribly. They were the only fellow expats I ever chose to spend time with.

Dan Parks (a) shouldn't have been selected last weekend; and (b) probably should have retired last season anyway. Turnip has strengths and weaknesses as a head coach, his massive failing being as a selector. There is some very decent young Scotland talent coming through - Hogg, Laidlaw, etc - but Turnip seems unprepared to give it a chance. It wasn't Parks' fault that Scotland lost. They had ample opportunities to overcome the charge-down try and win the game. His teammates weren't up to it. I do feel sorry for him. Even more so after Turnip's mealy-mouthed post-announcement tribute that, reading between the lines, blamed him for the loss, and otherwise damned him with faint praise. Still, Turnip has enlisted Scott Johnson as a support coach. Says all that needs to be said about Turnip's judgement.

Frankly I am amazed that the NZ Union is letting SBW box.
                  The price the NZ Union had to pay for securing his signature. The boxing clause was a deal-breaker. As it happens, he's now about 90% certain to return to L***** with one of the Sydney clubs anyway. The only question seems to be whether Quade Cooper will go with him when his ARU contract expires this year.

Comment

• I guess when you have the RWC winners medal the only way is down so you might as well head back to your comfort zone. A monstrous physical presence with good handling skills he added something to the ABs - but nothing essentially required. Which is why he found himself shining pine so often.

Personally I am still struggling with the acceptance Ali Williams has an RWC winners medal - the bloke from Nottingham RFC.

Cooper on the other hand - well the Aussies don't find it quite so easy to replace such departures (though will no doubt prove me wrong if they need to)

How do we see the next round of matches? Much rests on England's ability to disrupt Italian set pieces so personally I swap Parling for Botha (the latter brings real physciality to the contact area but Parling is the better LO operator). And Flood should make the bench of course. But I might start Dickson even with the fractured hand - Youngs no longer supplies quick ball (I wonder has it been coached out of him?)

France over Ireland of course - purely because of the latters poor record in Paris.

And my head says Wales too (though my heart tends to scream "anyone but..." most of the time).
                    Last edited by Havak; February 8, 2012, 06:24. Reason: accidentally made Quade a police officer

Comment

• Cooper is replaceable even if the replacement won't have the razzle-dazzle, which, let's face it, is a dang sight harder to pull off at Test level. His WC failure wasn't entirely his fault, Robbie Deans' insane tactics - selection and on-field - actively worked against his (Cooper's) strengths.

I have no clue about Italy-England. If England are as poor as they were last weekend, Italy could roll them. The still vulnerable Italian defence in the red zone will be telling. I'd always have Parling in front of Botha. Botha is muscle and not a lot else. His skill and nouse deficiencies were exposed last weekend even if he was a physical presence. Flood on the bench after 27 minutes of rugby in six weeks? Not sure about that. I would definitely rest Youngs, though. He's still in whatever trough he slid into after last year's 6N. Confidence shot. I don't think it helps, either, that he's not the sharpest bit in the drill set. Tom Croft, too, has to start proving himself, particularly with that back row consisting of three 6s. He has tended to be surplus to requirements beyond the lineout.

Ireland need a tactical rethink if they're to threaten France. They might also need a more enlightened coach.

Wales would seem to be certs.

Comment

• And, along with your last sentence, at the risk of offending kOc further Flood being rushed back in no real surprise to me. I think it speaks to the (lack of) confidence placed in Hodgson.

With the exception of odd games Croft has been off the boil for Tigers since well before the RWC. I recall he had a strong game against Wasps in January. At a game where the current England coach was present. There could be a correlation.

Botah made sens eagainst scotland perhaps - the physicaility could have helped. As it happens I think he came close to being carded on several occassions. Parling was a really good steal from Falcons for us and Lancaster knows him well from the Saxons. Had he not got injured I think he could have been EPS much earlier. But don't think I am getting carried away - I am not convinced he is stand out world class but I think he can compete at test level.

Ten years ago England had a surfeit of fairly decent locks and front row players. The cupboard is a little bare there now. Plenty of decent back row forwards though - but all at 6.

Comment

• I don't know whether Parling has world class potential, probably not, but he's a dang sight more talented chappie than the Bok. End of.

Croft's problem has been that he just goes AWOL beyond the lineout and cover tackling. He seems to spend a dang long time loitering out towards the wing for a back rower. Beats me why. Both he and Youngs are seriously off the boil. Must be something in the water at Leicester. Will Cockers have a job next season?

Comment

• Probably. Only failure to make the play-offs might change that.

There is no vibe that the squad is unhappy and Castro for example has committed to an extension but on-field it certainly is not all gravy. Trouble is other franchises have moved on and there is no level playing field with either France or the Celtic Provincial systems - even if compliance with the salary cap has clearly been a declined option for certain English teams (no one will convince me that Sarries remuneration to their players, and note that I did not say wages, complies with the cap).

I'm kind of on the fence. I was there when Cockers was a fresh faced young hooker whose commitment to that role would have had LDiCesare glowing with pride. And he is no idiot whatever the occassional media faux pas might suggest. But is he the coach to break us free of the pack - maybe not. Of course that would require a change to external factors like the salary cap too. The invincibles of 1999-2002 were Leicester men to the core and stayed loyal as Professionalism took hold. Now even our players take better deals where they get offered. That takes different coaching and management skills and Cockers is from the old school at Welford Road - I think he continues to value loyalty as much as any other factor.

That said we sacked Bob Dwyer when he finished fourth in the league (lost a European cup final and flopped us over the line in the last and worst Pilkington cup final) so who can predict?

*edit. We beat Sale in that 1997 final . I was in the upper tier of the west stand and left the pub too late so had to run a mile and then up the tiers to see kick off. I very much wish I had stayed in the pub (lovely pint of London Pride).
                            Last edited by Havak; February 8, 2012, 11:47.

Comment

• Latest breaking news articles, photos, video, blogs, reviews, analysis, opinion and reader comment from New Zealand and around the World - NZ Herald

SBW quickly dealt with Tillman - knocked him senseless and kept pounding till the referee had enough.

Totally agree with you Finbar re: Parks and Turnip being a useless selector (a much greater issue with England as there is so much to choose from).

As for Flood being rushed back...that is abit senseless given they are up against Italy. Hodgson scored the try and delivered a perfect cross-field kick that almost saw Strettle score (apart from Denton being up to the task). Instead of worrying about Hodgson, worry about how useless Youngs has been these last few months - he is no-where near his best.

Comment

• Apparently Flood has been sent back to Leceister - probably far too soon to return to the fray.

Perhaps Hodgson was just that much better in training

Comment

Working...
                                X