No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leceister and Northampton have turned things around and are a shoe-in for the play-offs.

The current top 4 will be in the play-offs. I hope Sale can battle hard and get into the Heineken Cup for next year. That would be a significant achievement given that we've been dreadful since 2006.

Comment

• I suspect the 6N is going to wreak some havoc amongst the top teams just as the WC did.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Three of the top four teams anyway. Saracens lost more players to Namibia than to England during the RWC. I just hope Lancaster goes fishing amongst their squad a lot more for the 6N.

The BBC were speculating that Hodgson will feature in the EPS after Wilko's retirement and Floods injury. One can only hope that is pure speculation - though the idea of Sarries losing both Farrell and Hodgson is an amusing one.

*edit* It is worth noting the 6N generally wreaks more havoc because as well as the EPS the Saxons play in the shadow 6N. Another full squad thereby become unavailable to clubs (and clubs find it hard to plan as both EPS and Saxons only release non match day players in the week before games).

But then you don't catch sensible nations playing Domestic competitions during international tournaments do you?
        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Ah yes, forgot about the Saxons. Double the danger. And it is ridiculous to play club comps throughout but that's what you get when the whole rugby structure is farked.

The CH thought isn't without merit under the current injury circumstances. Free him of kicking responsibility and you might see a different player. Who are the possible 10s? Farrell, Lamb, Burns. Anyone else? Lamb is still flaky, Burns a good young talent but inexperienced. Either way, a novice (Farrell) at 10, with, apparently, HRH out of the equation, and leaving aside Banahan *shudders at even the thought of typing the name*, suggesting novices at both 12 and 13. The 12 jumper? I think Barrit is too limited, Allen is only just back from injury, Small Woodland a strong possibility. The 13 jumper? Who? Anyway, my point is that, under the injury circumstances, CH at 10, Farrell at 12 (and kicking) with A.N.Other at 13 at least offers a modicum of experience in the midfield.
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• I do take your point on that certainly. But if they wanted as safe pair of hands at ten with Farrell outside them I probably still go for Andy Goode over Turnstile Charlie myself. The pie eater can at least tackle.

I think Farrell-Twelvetrees-a.n.other is a more ambitious choice even with the lack of experience.

The other fly half option won't impress you - Clegg is the remaining man from the Saxons mix who might get the elevation. Is Trinder an option at 13? Think he normally plays 12 but I don't know Glaws (or this young Saxon) too well.

Allen seems to be a players player - always highly rated by team mates but simly overlooked by national coaches. Plus given he nearely cut his digit off I too would like to see him get more game time in before any possible selection.
            It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• CH is better than Goode. Quade Cooper can't tackle either. It's pluses and minuses.

Don't talk to me about Clegg. So much promise as a child with Newcastle and he hasn't developed. That's the price you pay for nicking off to a richer club but never getting game time behind one of the competition's best.

Trinder plays 13. I've seen quite a lot of him this season. He displays little touches of class. Put a glorious little chip through the defence for one of his teammates a couple of weeks ago. I'd give him a chance. With that Samoan chap who Twitters too much at 12 and Trinder at 13, Glaws have a very potent midfield. Obviously they had HRH at 12 when they lost on the weekend.

Comment

• I'll try to catch Trinder in action - he cannot be any worse than big Ban can he?

The idea behind loaning Ford to Leeds was to make sure he gets game time - very similar situation to Clegg in that he has excelled at U18 and U20 level. From what little I have seen of him there is considerable potential there - hopefully game time will make him the real deal.

Comment

• Scrap the pointless Anglo-Welsh Cup and have Premiership Games then so that you don't have to have Premiership games during the 6 Nations.

As for CH's tackling...it depends on what type. He is a superb cover-tackler, he has simply been found wanting when a crash-ball merchant has gone for his channel and he is the only thing standing in the way. Ronin O'Gara is nothing more than a speed-bump, but at Munster and with Ireland his flankers will get to the player after he has momentarily slowed them down.

CH was simply unlucky to be around at the same time as Wilkinson. That said I think some of the young players coming through will be better than CH ever was.

Comment

• Ah well, looks like a refreshingly decent couple of squads with not as many as usual WTFs. Just a shame J**** couldn't have recognised some of these players. The hooking situation, though, looks pretty dire. My money's on CH at 10, Farrell at 12, A.N.Other at 13.

Comment

• Hard to argue with that.

Looking a bit more closely across the two squads (64 players in total) Sarries are going to lose 8 – a big increase in their contribution. Quins lose 9. But of course the heavy lifters remains Tigers (11) and Saints (10). A third of the squads from just two sides out of a twelve team top flight. And almost 60% from the top four sides in the League currently. Perhaps he really is selecting on form? Hardly makes for a level playing field in the League though - or rather it does exactly that by lowering the top sides to the others standards?

And just to keep kOc happy Sale are contributing – one player to the Saxons as far as I can see. I haven't seen how many they are supplying to Scotland yet.
                      Last edited by Havak; January 11, 2012, 11:00. Reason: still cannot spell for toffee

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak View Post
                        And just to keep kOc happy Sale are contributing – one player to the Saxons as far as I can see. I haven't seen how many they are supplying to Scotland yet.
                        It is a fair jibe as we've so many Scottish and fringe Welsh players in our setup. That said, Gaskell, Sheridan, Cueto, Miller (perhaps when he is abit older) and Seymour should be in the running for the EPS & Saxons.

Edit: I've taken a look at the list and only Gaskell has been included in the EPS as a Saxon. Cueto is class, but the wingers Lancaster & Co have selected totally deserve their place and have long-term potential. Seymour is unlucky, Miller, too young and in a highly competitive position currently (we've loads of English talent at 15 whilst little or not in the centers) and as for Sheridan, he is broken.
                        Last edited by kittenOFchaos; January 11, 2012, 13:45.

Comment

• Sale loses Alasdair Dickinson, Fraser McKenzie and Richie Vernon to Scotland over the 6 Nations.

Comment

• Next season they will lose Richie Gray too.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar View Post
                              Next season they will lose Richie Gray too.
                              Worth it, totally worth it

Comment

• I hope that pans out from you - last time I saw Sale their coal face was their packs weak point. It doesn't matter how good your locks are if the opposition front row are eating yours alive.

I would also like to say that I think the timing of Christian Wades injury is a real shame - the boy would definitely have made ther Saxons and might have pushed into the EPS during the 6N.

Cueto is unfortunate - the coach is looking to the future and he is a causalty of that.

And the young number 8 Morgan - at some point in the 6N they will certainly cap him to lock him into England.

The last thing one should applaud is the fact Lancaster has cut Easter lose - it suggests he possibly intends to address our long term problem with static ball from the base of the scrum? I hope....
                                Last edited by Havak; January 12, 2012, 05:32.

Comment

Working...
                                X