No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, Leicester keep coming back. Sort of rugby's equivalent of malaria.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Well if we are the disease it seems Clermont were the cure?

*It is a measure of how this site has dropped off in activity that the possible UK secession from the Franco-German empire hasn't generated a single thread?

And we ought to acknowledge Wilkos retirement I think. Fearless commitment and dead eye accuracy off the boot are just two qualities he brought to the table. He suffered in later years because he was always at his best with a smart skillful 12 outside him and he never really enjoyed that again after Greenwood retired. His shoulder injuries seemed to affect his distribution increasingly. And the way he trated his body as a young man started to tell on him in his early twenties and then never really stopped telling. Dan Carter is a more rounded player for sure but Jonny deserves his place in the hall of fame.

The BBC is recalling his tackle on Ntamack but the one that stands out for me is when he hit the Bok prop who was in full flow (was it big Oz Du Randt?) and drove him backwards. Quite remarkable for a fly half.
      Last edited by Havak; December 13, 2011, 06:50.
      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• No doubting Wilko was very very good at what he did. There's a lot of misty-eyed hoo-ha circulating to the effect that he was the best 10 in the professional area. Carter and Larkham are/were both well ahead of him on an all-round basis, I think, though he did turn the 10 channel into a danger zone with his defence.

The flat-capped, whippet-loving, pie-eating cretin of a swan-diving Northern winger seems to be shaping to hold Saints to ransom.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• As you say even at his best Wilkos distribution and game running was never up there with either Carter or Larkham. But they way he would tick the scoreboard was an invaluable assett for England in the era of their monster pack. He scored very few tries compared to Carter or Larkham so the contrast in the running game was stark too. Of those he did score the chip and gather against the ABs in 2002 was what defined him for me - he would always back himself

As for Ashton one of his best friends form his Wigan days is signed to Sarries. His agent may well be playing "hype the salary" but I do have a feeling Chris will head to Watford in the end.

Not least because I am confident Saints will stick to the salary cap and I cannot say the same for the Champions.
          It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• It is a shame in a way that Wilkinson is retiring after such an awful RWC campaign rather than on a high note.

In addition to his World Class kicking and defence, Wilkinson is a superb role model. Polite, hard-working and modest - traits that desperately need to be emulated in much of British society. He was also different by not being much of a drinker and not part of the laddish nonsense that seems to accompany so many that choose to play Rugby Union.

A legend of English rugby and one that will probably outshine Carter (who has yet to shine in a RWC).
            Last edited by kittenOFchaos; December 13, 2011, 13:32.

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak View Post
              *It is a measure of how this site has dropped off in activity that the possible UK secession from the Franco-German empire hasn't generated a single thread?
              That sewer needs flushing.

Are there any good rugby forums to migrate to?

Comment

• So, I've got my £5 ready for action this weekend - what should I spend it on?

Finbar, what insight can you give me into the Biarritz Vs Treviso rematch? The bookies are strongly in favour of Biarritz.

Also, Clermont - from what we saw last weekend, Leceister don't stand a chance - again, the bookies favour Leicester.

So, some tips guys

Comment

• Treviso won at home last week. The bookies like Biarritz this week because it's their turn at home. That's the only reason. Biarritz were pretty dire last week, Treviso played very well. Whether they can do it again is the question. Biarritz can certainly be rubbish again. I'm probably going to tip Treviso for the upset in my tipping comps but money's not involved. If money were involved, I'd probably go the safer option with Biarritz.

The home-ground advantage is behind the bookies' preference for Leicester too. Though Welford Road hasn't exactly been the traditional fortress this season, and this Leicester team isn't up with the team that thumped Clermont at WR in the past. Clermont are probably going to struggle up front again with prop injuries. I didn't like the Leicester centre combo last week, a black hole to rival England's in recent times. I think they're going to have to start 36. At this early stage I'm leaning towards a Clermont win. I think they have more sheer quality around the paddock.

Obviously these two paragraphs will come back to haunt me.

Comment

• Well let's hope so anyway.

Comment

• 36 has to start, wouldn't you say?

And a tennis blazer now dons a rugby blazer. Doesn't fill me with hope.

And I really wish Cockers would keep his gob shut unless he has something useful to say. Unless, of course, Leicester have designs on the northern ferret-loving pie-eater in a flat cap.

Comment

• I honestly don't see much of a problem with him pointing out the conflict of interest of Farrell coaching both England and Boks C? It should be one or the other - not both.

The tennis head honcho is a truly bizaree appointment - the one sport still more mired in the class system than Rugby Union is. I wonder if the RFU will ever surprise me by making a sensible appointment (I thought they had with Steele but Thomas and Andrew soon saw him off).

And I'll bite - who is 36? Smith is a winger who looks out of place at 13 - that was okay when it was needs must but now I think I would have Manu outside Twelvetrees myself.

*I read that CA were on a huge home streak before we faced them. Given our poor form at home this season I am for some reason expecting us to score a big victory over then. We are sometimes most dangerous when being written off.

Comment

• With an Irish accent, Twelvetrees = 36. One of the cleverer rugby nicknames I've come across.

Clermont hadn't lost at home since the Bronze Age or somesuch. The Leicester spirit will be tested.

Comment

• Something of a "DOH" for me there - so obvious in hindsight. I rather like it - and yes I agree he has to start.

Indeed our spirit will be tested - it is a must win game and I am assuming we want to win it so I am hoping the headology (with apologies to Sir Terry P) is correct.

And you can sure tell Fitzy is anglicised these days (eanring his living partly from Sky UK that is):

"The scary thing, as a New Zealander, is that England has such wonderful resources - a lot of money and real talent throughout the grades and the young guys doing really well. England now has the opportunity to get it right and put the right people in."

There is some truth in this - England are certainly a sleeping giant. In the eighth year of a darn good snooze as it happens.
                            Last edited by Havak; December 16, 2011, 08:22.

Comment

• Well, half-time.

I need Cardiff Blues to stop fooling around and beat Edinburgh. I don't have the red button option on Sky player - which is a real shame. On the other hand, it is really positive for Scottish rugby that Laidlaw, Visser and a number of other players are stepping up.

So far it is looking pretty good for Treviso and Saracens (the ref just binned Paul James).
                              Last edited by kittenOFchaos; December 16, 2011, 17:00.

Comment

• Treviso lost their 6 to a red card for headbutting the 9 at a breakdown after 25 minutes. Still hasn't helped Biarritz's cause. They're playing into a howling gale but doing an England - playing the pod of forwards hitting it up game, and either knocking on or being driven backwards by the defence. Treviso are using the gale to drive them back. Biarritz will have the gale in the second half but they're going to have to lift themselves. Treviso are as up for this as they were last week.

Comment

Working...
                                X