No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There are some very decent boutique brewers in Australia these days. The mainstream stuff has always been rubbish. The Kiwi mainstream stuff is unremarkable, though better than the average Australian equivalent.

I know the history of the RFU. Nothing surprises. The utterly mindboggling thing is that the clowns remain in charge of the circus.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• It is the class system Finbar. Care to guess how many suits at the RFU went to state schools (it will be a round number).

Then there is the culture of British Management - "It is absolutely my fault, I fully accept responsibility for it. I will not be resigning (I will require a huge pay rise/bonus* however)".

*Delete as applicable

Having been unkind to Australian beer I do admit some of the premium bottled lagers were okay - I mainly drank Carlton Cold if memory serves.

Essentially what the RFU needs is people more focused on the product than the processes.

*edit* Oh and the obvious - for the one consistent factor during the depths plumbed over the last seven years to be sacked immediately.
      Last edited by Havak; November 25, 2011, 09:47. Reason: Forgot to mention Rob Andrew needs sacking
      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Seriously Sale? SERIOUSLY!

Comment

• They obviously weren't serious. And I'd tipped them in my tipping comp! Bustards! I tipped Bath for that matter, too. They're all bustards.

I mainly drank Carlton Cold if memory serves.
          Probably the best of that sort of stuff. Should have tried some of the boutique labels. There's some real horse wee amongst them but also some real beauties. Still, you can try them when you make the Lions trip.
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Watching Australia destroy Graham Henry's Barbarians...one way traffic. This was even happening in the 1st half despite two Ozzie yellow cards.

Edit: Nice, Tomkins gets a try at the last as he was wasted by some of the barbarian backs on a number of occasions. Matfield for the conversion - lol

Looking forward to Northampton Vs Saracens.

So far so good on my accumulator. Leicester took down Gloucester (side bet pays out to cover my accumulator stake) and better still Gloucester won the first half (suiting my accumulator). Just abit concerned that Irish aren't beating Wasps yet. The rest of the games should be pretty 'safe' bets (Leinster already beat Treviso for me) and then £££.

Edit: So, as Northampton took down Saracens and Munster beat Edinburgh I can collect my winnings. The losses of the RWC wiped out in an afternoon and then some and all on a tiny stake I know I need to be careful not to get carried away, but I am tracking the results and I do feel betting on the results in a sport I follow obsessively as an accumulator is a worthwhile activity - previously, to get decent odds I was betting things nigh on impossible to judge. 60-1 odds, and you can easy factor some cover bets into that. We'll see, but do let me know if I start going mad.
            Last edited by kittenOFchaos; November 26, 2011, 19:06.

Comment

• I follow rugby obsessively too and I'm involved in a couple of tipping comps involving margins. I find that absolutely enough pressure without money - however small the amount - entering into it. But rest assured we'll let you know if you go over the top.

Felt sorry for V. Matfield yesterday. That was one of the poorest Baa-Baas efforts in yonks. Too many just weren't interested, particularly in tackling. The great shame is that it undermines the worth of the Baa-Baas at a time when the rugby calendar has become so crowded that something has to give. My main interest was seeing O'Connor at 10. He's played there a few times in S15 but that's about it. The opposition yesterday was paltry but he played with style, quick thinking and skill. I suspect he's one of those freakishly talented players who can play anywhere on the field. He's also astonishingly strong for a kid barely 6 feet and less than 14 stone.

I tipped Leicester yesterday but they needed help from the ref. What a dire reffing performance. Leicester all over the ball on the ground with impunity killing any chance of quick ball for Glaws. And Dan Cole had the temerity to object when a ref finally penalised him for illegal binding. Still, Leicester look more cohesive with at least 36 back in the midfield. And I've seen that young Glaws 10 Freddie Burns a couple of times recently. Very very talented. The same can't be said for that big Glaws winger with the knots in his hair, the poor man's Tuilagi, who yet again managed to flub great attacking opportunities with his concrete hands.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar View Post
                Felt sorry for V. Matfield yesterday. That was one of the poorest Baa-Baas efforts in yonks. Too many just weren't interested, particularly in tackling. The great shame is that it undermines the worth of the Baa-Baas at a time when the rugby calendar has become so crowded that something has to give. My main interest was seeing O'Connor at 10. He's played there a few times in S15 but that's about it. The opposition yesterday was paltry but he played with style, quick thinking and skill. I suspect he's one of those freakishly talented players who can play anywhere on the field. He's also astonishingly strong for a kid barely 6 feet and less than 14 stone.
                Too many of the barbarian squad were old plodders and just couldn't deal with the pace that Australia possess right across the squad and they also failed to starve Australia of possession. If Australia can sort out the front row, they'll be unstoppable. O'Connor looked really good at 10 - that man is freakishly good.

Comment

• A lack of commitment rather than old plodders, I think. The AB WC chaps had clearly had an extended holiday and weren't up for it.

Comment

• One takes any win one can get at Kingsholm. Rumours we paid the ref notwithstanding Finbar.

Vainokolo? Brian Ashton was desperate to make him a Rokocoko and gave him repeated chances. I don’t think he ever featured under Jonno did he? He looks like he should be a good player – shame that you have to actually be one too.

I did think watching the game that the injuries that have kept Luke Narraway out of England contention have been a real shame, much more mobile than Easter without losing any of the grunt.

The Sale result was yet another surprise from them. We have on occasion sacrificed such leads to the hated insects but in all honesty it really shouldn’t happen too often. I think Steve Diamond can probably start polishing his resumé?

Loved the Saints game against Sarries. Simply took them apart in the first half. Hope the see that more often. The way Saints responded in the scrum after Smits initial destruction of them was nice too.
                    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• That's him. Vainokolo. I remember Ashton picked him on the basis of a hatful of tries in his first couple of club games. He has Tuilagi's strength and that's about it. Two weeks in a row he has cost Glaws dearly with concrete hands. I gather that Narraway, aside from injuries, did himself no good with some badmouthing of the selectors. I remember championing Easter a few years ago based on club form. Club rugby turned out to be his forte.

Still, with, hopefully, a changing of the managerial guard - I notice Mallett has now said he could be available on his terms (reporting to the Board, not a PD) post-6N - hopefully the dead player wood will be cleaned out too. The Saxons coach filling in for the 6N has been mooted and seems like a very good idea. The current chaotic climate is no time to be making long-term decisions.

Comment

• I agree entirely. Happy to see Stuart Lancaster helm the 6N. Wales are going to slam that anyway (so I am told by the Welsh) so no need for us to make hasty decisions in advance of it.

Mallett basically has drawn a line in the sand and effectively said "I'll do it if Teflon has no oversight on me". Fair enough I think.

Narraway bad mouthed the selectors eh? Never a great idea. However right now I think TTE is making a strong case for the England 8 shirt anyway. Although it would take a brave man to drop Quins players given the League situation?

Oh and I am seriously tempted to do the Lions in OZ again. I never learn.

Comment

• I think TTE is very very effective in certain aspects of the game. At club level. Who knows beyond that? Look at Fatty Easter. That aside, his strength is carrying. I don't think he's anywhere near as effective doing the hard, dirty, driving stuff, especially on the ground. The stuff, for example, that Crane does so well for Tigers. In fact, cross TTE with Crane and you'd have a wonderful 8. Albeit the ugliest humanoid to walk the earth.

As far as I can tell, Eddie Jones and John Kirwan are the only ones to say they'd be happy to work within the existing set up. They must be desperate.

You'd better get into some heavy training. The Lions tour will be here before you know it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak View Post
                            Do NZ brew actual beer?
                            I'm sure you'd find some to your liking here:
                            Serving world-beating beers from our on-site brewery since 1995. Pair Real Ale with hand-made food showcasing the heritage of our experienced team of chefs.
                            ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                            ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

• Thanks for that - I would quite like to try all three of their bitters and the Porter. I shall have to try and track them down.

As when I returned form the 2001 Lions tour the friend picking me up at Heathrow (yes I do have friends) said I was "Sweating alcohol" the prospect of repeating that twelve years on is quite scary. I have reduced my indulgence significantly since having disc trouble in my back the last few years. A Lions tour could kill me. And I am still tempted!

Comment

• Go on, go for it. What can it cost you apart from your liver?

No surprise that Teflon survives. He, along with the cockroaches, would be the sole survivor of a mankind-terminating nuclear holocaust. Extraordinary. Anyway, with the way now cleared for the new coach to answer to the CEO (whomever that might be) and the Board, the odds on the likes of Nick Mallett have shortened.

Comment

Working...
                                X