No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He's appealed against the size of the fine. It's a ridiculous amount. And it has Teflon's oily fingerprints all over it, effectively knifing J****, saying that J**** got the disciplinary procedure very wrong in NZ. I'd bet the amount will be about halved on appeal.

I very much like Nick Mallett's thoughts on the England coaching job. He's interested, but hasn't got a clue who to ring up and apply to. I wasn't aware that he'd applied for the job before. Missed out to Brian Ashton. I wonder whether England will make the same mistake twice. No doubt they will.
    Last edited by finbar; November 12, 2011, 08:11. Reason: Meh, I felt like it. Call me capricious.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• England should be managed by an Englishman - Nick Mallet shouldn't be considered for the role, nor should any other foreigner. The RFU shouldn't sack Johnson because his appointment was their fault. They appointed a man with no experience of managing, pretty much gave him his coaching staff (the real problem) having gotten rid of Brian Ashton without really letting him have a proper run at the job. If they sack him now after he has gained a vast amount of experience it ultimately showed how stupid they were appointing him in the first place. I think Johnson has done many things right as England manager and will continue to improve - particularly if we have a clear out of the coaching team and manage to secure the services of Shaun Edwards.

Tindall is getting plenty of flak as if he caused England to lose against France - had he been playing, the English defense wouldn't have leaked so many points. Likewise I will never understand why Hape wasn't even on the bench for that game. Irregardless, it is the typical arrogance of our media and the RFU who panic about what the media say that we're making such a big fuss about losing to France, a team who got to the final and lost by a point. I'm convinced that had Tindall played that game, England would have won...for all his faults he is immense in defense.

People say England played poorly...we weren't helped by the fact Wilkinson's kicking was rendered near useless for whatever reason - lets face it, it won't have been because he has lost his abilities, nor because he slacked off.

Comment

• Instead of Tindall being permanently out of the Elite Squad, couldn't we have that applying to Delon Armitage - we've plenty of decent full-backs and he is a disgrace to the sport.

Comment

• With his activities in recent times. Delon just about qualifies as a psychopath. It's extraordinary that he keeps getting sentence reductions because he shows contrition. And as for his brother's foul-mouthed attack on the judiciary/defence of Delon via whatever social networking site it was, the game would be better off without either of them. I did hear that Irish were only too glad for Stefan to go to France, to see the back of him, because he was an A-grade troublemaker around the squad.

And to set your mind at rest, Nick Mallet is English. Born in Hertfordshire. He's also a very fine coach. Keeping J**** as an alternative to admitting his appointment was a mistake doesn't solve the problem in my mind. Regardless of his lack of experience when appointed, he has since proved that his rugby thinking is rooted in the times he was playing and he's unable, for whatever reason, to adapt. Rugby has changed and he can't see it. Nor can his forwards coach. What's more, they've been trying to play an out-of-date style of rugby with a forward division just not up to the task. Doubly pointless, I think.

Anyways, I'm off to watch Leicester tackle the lesser of the two Italian Pro12 teams. Should be interesting!
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• I'm watching Munster Vs Northampton - Munster have already driven over for 7 points.

I really didn't know Nick Mallet was English.

Comment

• Wow...what a nice try

Northampton now on the board.

Comment

• Munster win, but Northampton will be livid that Nigel Owens gave the turn-over with the driving maul - O'Connell came around the side, not through the middle and it was pretty blatant.

The Russian winger could have won it for Northampton, but whilst he showed some real enterprise his mistakes were pretty critical.

O'Gara drop goal after 41 phases wins the game.

Comment

• Leicester's effort was almost a rerun of the Irish game. From dominance to the same scrappy, shapeless stuff of last week. Beats me how or why, but there doesn't seem to be any strong onfield leadership happening. Certainly Aironi lifted in the second half, their defence in particular, but a better team than Aironi - which is to say, a team with any clue how to mount an attack - would have embarrassed Leicester again. They will have to sort out their habits against Ulster.

Clermont can probably feel a bit stiff. Played the better rugby but not enough of it and never came to grips with Ulster's forwards, Ferris in particular, who was mighty.

Nigel Owens had a stinker in many, many ways. The Downey try came from a knock on by Dickson. That it then came off a Munster player - backwards - is irrelevant. Dickson knocked it forward into the Munster player. POC joining the maul illegally was only the last of a series of reffing blunders including some of the more bizarre scrum reffing I've seen. Pity, because it was a mighty game. Mallinder can't complain, though he is complaining. His Russian winger could have put the game to bed but he didn't.

Comment

• I'd just like to say I don't share the insular view any more. If a foreign coach can get England on a sound footing then I am all for it.

Also I look for more from my centres than solid defence and certainly don't think Tindall would have won us the game against France. Anthony Allan might have though (another of England's forgetten men). Although he has subsequently tried to cut his hand off (out of commission due to a DIY accident at home).

For all the turmoil at the RFU the Teflon egotist seems as safe in his job as ever (the job title has changed - the fatc of his hand in every pot seemingly has not). It is such a shame Thomas forced Steele out as the latter was no fan of the Teflon man and might have dealt with him in time.

Johnson has to stay involved - as team manager with someone like Mallett above him would be fine with me (similar to the French model?). Johnson deals with the media superbly and I would like to retain that ability.

Oh and when i found the Tigers game on the red button is was my misfortune to only see the second half. And once again FInbar has us down pat. Headless chickens trying to force a game at the wrong times as they panic increasingly. A difficult season ahead methinks.

* I do agree with boycotting FIFA however. As I actually agree with boycotting all dictatorial organisations with German Chancellors (particularly ones who don't know how to pronounce "Angela" properly).
                    Last edited by Havak; November 13, 2011, 14:00. Reason: to lay some boot into the EU
                    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Still, at least Angela was pivotal in driving out Silvio. The only way we were going to be rid of him.

I've never thought much of captaining a team from 15. Too far from the cut, thrust, meat and potatoes of the game, too hard to exert any influence, leadership. That's what Leicester are missing at the moment. Apart, obviously, from half a backline, but that's a different story. There are still enough very experienced senior players on the field for the current silliness not to be happening.

Glos fought hard against Toulouse who made their usual almost suicidal mistakes. Luke Burgess did well on debut. We saw his real strengths - running, busting through, causing havoc for a defence. We didn't see his fundamental weakness - sloppy distribution over any distance more than a couple of yards. Well, we did with his poor pass to Beauxis for the failed drop goal. Matt Giteau grew about six inches in his days as Wallaby 10 having to field Burgess' passes way over his head. So the real test is yet to be had. That said, a fine debut.

Comment

• It is nothing to do with being insular Havak, it is about National teams being made up of representatives of that country and I include the coaching staff in that - otherwise, what is the point?

No Shaun Edwards for England unless they can do a job share with Wales

Comment

• I was referencing myself and my own previous pov kOc - I used to be 'insular' in that regard. Now all I want is for the national side to get properly competitive again. I'll take a foreign coach to achieve that. I still prefer the players to be 'English' though I am as flexible as the RFU on the definition of English these days. Essentially if someone wants to be English that is fine by me - it shows excellent judgement and solid character after all. Even if they then jump off a ferry for no apparent reason.

Edwards is massively over rated anyway. Gatland - for all his silly vocal slip ups - is the driving force there as he was at Wasps. After all for the last three seasons Edwards achieved diddly squat at the insects really? I rate Mallett - what he achieved at Italy given their paucity of resources was remarkable. I'd be happy to see him as England coach - but I suspect the politics in the RFU would make him despair in short order.

I thought GLaws were very unlucky to concede that last try. But how about Bath - a text book example of how not to cover a drop goal attempt by Abendanon who over ran the ball. Farcical stuff. Ironic that Gray, so desperate to leave Glasgow, scored the winning try.
                          It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Mallett didn't do a bad job with the Boks either - 17 consecutive Test wins, still a record, I think - followed by a couple of Top 14 premiership wins with Stade. Highly intelligent, tactically astute, and people skills. It's a good combo.

I actually listened to the Bath-Glasgow match via some obscure BBC local station. Sounded like Bath failed to capitalise on mammoth possession, at least according to the commentator. Saw the Gray try last night on the highlights. I actually thought Abendanon was done by the contrary bounce.

Comment

• So Mr Teflon has forced Johnson out then.

Not sure how I feel about that. Of the two of them it was Andrew that needs to go in my view. And pity whoever comes in as they have to deal with the Teflon man.

Comment

• Forced out? Or just had a gutful of the most puerile, amateurish - with apologies to amateurs everywhere - and self-serving politicking imaginable? He knew it was going to get worse before - if ever - better. As an obviously honorable chappie, he must have despaired. Wrong man for the job at the time - though not his fault, he did tell them he thought he didn't have the experience - and, to my mind, made next to no progress. So, ultimately, a step in the right direction for English rugby* and himself, and I'm absolutely sure he's mightily relieved.

*Subject to Teflon not appointing himself coach.

Comment

Working...
                                X