No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wales have this. Superb performance totally nullified the Irish attack which I didn't expect. Ireland spent enough time in the Welsh half, the Welsh defense, just too good.

Priestland is abit of a mixed bag. Huge clearance kicks, but I wouldn't trust him to land a critical kick.

Jaime Roberts is my MoM, the best I've seen from him.

Wonder how my other predictions will fare

Comment

• Very nice match by the Welsh indeed. Well done. Now let's get butchered.
      Clash of Civilization team member
      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Im glad the Welsh won that one, I think England will be able to take them in the semis. I thought Ireland played very well too, making few mistakes and playing consistently
        Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

• Did I ever say I love Clerc?
          Clash of Civilization team member
          (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
          web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• oh dear. I should have just stayed in bed
            Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

• Well, my predictions this weekend have been useless. When Foden scored, I thought my 16-1 option might come true (Foden to score and England to win) and redeem an expensive morning! I really to stop breaking my rule of never betting on a game involving France.

England once again gave themselves a mountain to climb and this time it was too much. Johnson needs to give them a bollocking BEFORE they start the game rather than wait till half time. The midfield defense was appalling in that first half and that often came down to Manu just dashing out of the line, trying to do too much. The handling was criminal at times...Cueto was as guilty as any.

Alot of people had said that England weren't yet ready to win a RWC and there is alot of truth to that. Johnson hadn't settled on his midfield and it ended up different in pretty much every game. England will be better in the next RWC as they'll have to look for alternatives to Moody, Tindall and Wilkinson.

Also France shouldn't get ahead of themselves...against a really poor England, they weren't that far off being caught. The French missed many tackles and it has to be said the Welsh are tackling very well and breaking them too. I shouldn't make predictions after this morning, but Wales look good for a berth in the final.

Comment

• Havak summed up England against Scotland:

No pace, no Rhythm, no intensity at the breakdown and no clue at all until the last 15 mins.
                Nothing's changed. And, as I suspected, once the French back row turned up - HarryDonkey was immense - England were always going to struggle. They just have no answer, no ideas, no structure when not on the front foot. Youngs was poor, but, honestly, who was his target? Wilko and Flood spent a long time getting in each other's way. As I also suspected, the French didn't have to produce a glorious attacking display from yester-year. They had to turn up, committed, and exploit England's inherent weaknesses. And they did.

Did I ever say I love Clerc?
                Sorry. I saw him first. But, heck, that was some dire England defence.

Excellent Welsh performance. Best I've seen. They actually did to Ireland what I thought Ireland might do to them.
                " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• To be fair to France it was a thoroughly deserved victory on the day though I don't see either them or Wales troubling whatever SANZAR side makes the final.

And will England ever learn that the heads need to be right from the start not from 60 mins in? Too little too late and so many handling errors I lost count. And Mas made Jonno's decision to play a tighty out of position look the foolhardy choice it was.

Manu dashing out the line? In the first half I thought he was the only player in white that looked up for it in any way, shape or form. Stilla long overdue clear out happens now - that was Wilkos worst game in years so it's time to say thankyou and goodbye Jonny I think. Easter still mystifies me (slow, lumbering, useless hands) and thankfully is so old he will be gone in 2015 even if jonno sticks by him for now. Tindall goes as does Moody. No choice now but to bring players through as we at least get to start 2015 with a clean slate - the 2003 alumni will all be gone.
                  It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak View Post
                    Manu dashing out the line? In the first half I thought he was the only player in white that looked up for it in any way, shape or form.
                    Couldn't agree more. And his defence wasn't the worst either. Hullo to that small army of white shirts who let the wonderful Vincent through.

Oh, and I thought Steve Walsh did an admirable job. Joubert was good, too.
                    Last edited by finbar; October 8, 2011, 08:15. Reason: Senility
                    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Wales all the way...?
                      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak View Post
                        Manu dashing out the line? In the first half I thought he was the only player in white that looked up for it in any way, shape or form.
                        Don't create a strawman. I never said Manu wasn't up for it. He tackled and ran hard and was the best English player in the 1st half. However, he was dashing out the line and coming inside rather than staying out - that created space. He was trying to do everything himself.

Eugh, another prediction bites the dust - that is 0/3 this weekend, NZ should be worried!

How SA managed to lose that game...Pocock was immense. I had 7-1 on Aus to win 1st half and SA to win and it was looking so good, but I can't begrudge Australia the win as they fought tooth and nail to stay in that game. I'll get lucky some other day.

Comment

• Well...30 minutes in, it is now NZ 6 - Argentina 7

Slade has just come off - injured.

Comment

• No team have ever won the RWC having lost a pool stage game.

If that trend continues, then only NZ have a chance.

Also SA beat Wales, who beat Ireland, who beat Australia who beat SA. Just looking at NZ, there truely is no outstanding team in this RWC.

Comment

• NZ 33 - Argentina 10

Hmm...Cruden seems a better option than Slade. I don't think I'll risk any predictions about the games next week

What I will say is that Argentina coped well with NZ for much of that game.

An interesting fact. Australia have never lost to a Tri-Nations team in the knock-out stages of the RWC.

Comment

• Formidable Wallaby defensive effort. They've done that before - won with massive defence, surviving on scraps of possession - and it's a good sign. Pocock is extraordinary, helped obviously by his opposite number's early departure. Quade is very seriously out of sorts. Yet again there was more control evident when Barnes appeared. A dilemma for Deans. Oh, and that has to have been the most dire reffing effort for the whole WC. The breakdown was a farce, offside was ignored. No surprise. He's always been a garbage ref.

Very professional AB effort against typically gallant Argie commitment. Fine effort from Weepu, both managing the game and kicking. Pity the Argies didn't release their backs a few more times because they caused problems every time they did. Good effort by Aaron Cruden under difficult circumstances. Called back from hols to join the squad. He's always been more naturally gifted than Slade, let down by erratic field kicking and weak defence. Not sure of the extent of Slade's injury, but Cruden may find himself in the spotlight next week.

Comment

Working...
                                X