No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, it was wasted. With that amount of possession. Wales' problem is the single attacking option - crash ball from Roberts and Davies. They get over the gain line so many times but the attack stops with the tackle. Do Wales have a backs coach? And how much better were the Boks without Smit, Habana and Spies? The Bok replacements - most of whom should be starting - changed the game.

Nice Wallaby effort this morning. Frustrated by massive Italian defence in the first half, they stayed relatively patient even if forcing a few too many passes trying to get through. They also settled for kicking for territory, a nice sign of maturity. When the scoring chances arrived in the second half, they were as deadly as expected. Nice scrummaging effort against the Italians, too.

Gee, the Irish were poor. Poor poor poor. The Yanks offered nothing except terrific defence but the Paddys still couldn't put it together.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Certainly the replacement Bok hooker who shares his name with a pocket battleship looked exactly that. Clearly in far better nick than Smits but the fruit loop named his RWC captain a long time ago so created that rod for himself?

The winger Pietersen has always looked out of his depth at test match level to me - and when a scrummie playing on the wing shows you how to do your job it might be time to call it a day?

Finbar pinged Wales however - crash Roberts or Davies over the game line then flounder about in shock. They should be making so much more of those situations. And I have to say as an Englishman there is a peverse pleasure in watching Wales play so well (I would say they were much the better side) and yet still lose. I have a feeling that they might now stuggle against the Islanders. Having seen Namibia I think Wales should bury them.

Ireland have gone beyond dysfunctional and are starting to hit truly inept. The tight five are struggling with the exception of POC.

The UK media has been merciless to England - quite expected and quite right even if it shows a worrying lack of respect for the Pumas. Australia showed what they can do if they stick to their strengths (and what they can't if they try to play a tight game). Then again I also see one NZ paper has a chokeometer - way to heap pressure on your owns guys from the hosts there?

It's actually been an interesting RWC so far.
      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Phew. The Insects saved my bacon in the Guardian tipping comp.

I'm almost ashamed to say.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Good start to the season for us.
          It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Twelvetrees versus Wasps and Twelvetrees almost won

Comment

• Digby Ioane out with a fractured thumb till at least the QFs. Bugger.

Lawes cited. Not surprised. Sliding in knees first when the oppo player was already on the ground. At the very least both extremely careless and highly dangerous. Very good young player but he's becoming too obsessed with smashing people.

Oh, and I've just noticed that Wade scored tries for the Insects. Saw him in that baby WC recently. Absolute speed to burn and can go and get the ball. Unlike, eg, Varndell.
              Last edited by finbar; September 12, 2011, 04:22. Reason: I felt like it. So sue me.

Comment

• Wade is a huge talent - I hate to see them wasted at the insects like that.

Lawes banned for two games - Georgia and Romania. That is considered a punishment????

Comment

• Well, yes, there is that, but I think it was a fair suspension in that I don't reckon there was malice in what he did but it was stupidly dangerous. Unlike Atwood, Lawes isn't a thug, but he's developed a fondness for smashing people, often borderline in both timing and lack of arms in the tackle. Hopefully a suspension will cause him to think about his methods. Or not. He looks borderline cretinous.

Comment

• Dylan Hartley managed to largely reign in that side of his temperament so there is hope for Lawes. I don't have much of a feel for how intelligent Lawes is - quietly spoken and somewhat introverted is how he comes over.

Was he the first player cited at the RWC? Another undesirable first for England?

Comment

• Yes, first citing of the tournament. He just looks vaguely cretinous, never much more than a vacant expression.

Comment

• David Skrela out. Meh. I won't miss him. Toulouse's Jean-Marc Doussain replaces him. What's he like, resident French expert? I saw him in a HC match. Looked handy.

Comment

• Andrew Sheridan out. I won't miss him either.

I'll give Lawes the benefit of the doubt as in my experience many youngsters have a vacant expression and it often belies the intellect behind it. Of course sometimes the label does indeed reflect the contents.

Comment

• My Canadian wife and I caught the last 20 minutes of Tonga Vs Canada which was highly enjoyable with some great attacking rugby.

Scotland won again, but the match report makes it sound a pretty dire game to watch. It'll be very interesting to see what Argentina and England make of Romania and Georgia.

Best game so far? From what I've seen it has to be France Vs Japan quickly followed by SA Vs Wales.

Comment

• The Canuck game was entertaining - the Scotland game as bad as it sounded (though to be fair conditions were truly awful).

Interesting question - what England and Argentina need to do against both is clear the breakdowns quickly and move the pill at pace. Whether they will is the question of course. It can be quite painful watching England build phases of first receiver passes where even minnows will be able to keep their defensive shape intact.

Comment

• Doussain is a very young 10 (he's 20) with no international experience except in the U20 team. He played 10 until late last season, but he now plays 9 with Toulouse.
                                He's a very very promising young player. He can play both 9 and 10 but bringing him as backup 10 for the ABs looks like, well, Lièvremont. I would imagine he may in fact not even be named for the match against the kiwis, knowing that Estebanez can play 10 (but then so did Traille...).
                                The player certainly deserves to wear the national jersey soon. Right in the middle of the world cup with not much high level experience at fly half? Lièvremont again.
                                Clash of Civilization team member
                                (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                                web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Working...
                                X