Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It could be worse for you.

Which two countries would you say enter every RWC with the most expectation? I would say NZ followed by Wales. We all know how that normally works out for Wales (and will again I expect).

But the entire Kiwi nation is surely praying that this time will be different for them? France wait in the wings hoping they can thwart things once again?

I actually am starting to get interested in the RWC at long last.

*edit* a small and very late double take - you said the Wallaby scrum dominated? I need a sit down....
    Last edited by Havak; July 27, 2011, 06:43.
    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• As predictable as it was that the BBC would search out an AB alumnus to diss the English away strip I do rather find myself agreeing with Jonah. We should always play in white and the black strip is all about the RFU ripping fans off.
      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Yes, the Wallaby scrum dominated. That's how poor the Bok mob was, and how far John Smit has fallen off the pace.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• But there is a positive in that - he is heading for Sarries.

Comment

• BBC Sport is happily showing a picture of Ben Cohen scoring a try to accompany an article about Joe Worsley getting dropped. This shouldn't make me this angry and annoyed.

In other news, WTF is South Africa playing at? A newbie fly-half when playing NZ? Seriously, these guys aren't even trying this Tri-Nations, perhaps the competition is pointless ahead of the RWC.

Comment

• Patrick Lambie, the newbie 10, is a very very talented young player. The alternative, Morne Steyn, great goalkicker that he is, offers zilch to the backline. All he knows is to roost the ball into the air for people to chase. Given that the Boks' whole Tri Nations away leg has been compromised by resting the best players and playing a lot of S15 also-rans - making a mockery of the competition - it was a surprisingly wise idea by the Fruit Loop Coach to give Lambie a start. He's the Boks' future, he has to gain experience somewhere, sometime.

In other news, Deans has dumped good old Sharpie from the squad to meet the ABs. Replaced by Dan Vickerman. Is Sharpie's time finally up? You'd have to think so given that Waratahs lock Timani has been picked in front of him. Timani debuted against Samoa and looked seriously out of his depth. Interesting times, interesting times.

Oh, and the England black strip looks like a costume left over from a 60s B-grade Mafia movie where the crooks wore black suits, black shirts and white ties. Weep, Havak, weep.
              " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
              "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• And there was me thinking it looked rather dashing.

I don't think there is anything left that the RFU or England could do that would bring me to tears. Even their plan to commission an independent review of their recent (huge) failures of governance doesn't bring a tear to the eye.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar View Post
                  Patrick Lambie, the newbie 10, is a very very talented young player. The alternative, Morne Steyn, great goalkicker that he is, offers zilch to the backline. All he knows is to roost the ball into the air for people to chase. Given that the Boks' whole Tri Nations away leg has been compromised by resting the best players and playing a lot of S15 also-rans - making a mockery of the competition - it was a surprisingly wise idea by the Fruit Loop Coach to give Lambie a start. He's the Boks' future, he has to gain experience somewhere, sometime.
                  The backline score 7 points...that isn't a sign that the backline did anything.

Morne Steyn has been crucial in many big victories over top quality opposition. Try your newbies against England, Ireland or Scotland, not New Zealand in New Zealand.

Comment

• Except the Boks aren't going to play any of those teams before the WC. Steyn's importance has been as a goal kicker. His only attacking option is to roost the ball for people to chase. Anyway, I gather Butch "Look Ma! No arms!" James is likely to start at 10 for the home 3N matches.

Comment

• The Boks have written of the tri-nations entirely - just like in 2007. Worked okay for them then I think?

So the Radio 5 breakfast anchor (Rachel Burden) whose knowledge of Union I suspect could be written on a postage stamp fifty times over raises the "Disrepecting the Kiwis" aspect of the black change kit - and they then play a clip of what sounded like Fourie talking about how the squad have nothing but respect for the Kiwis (naturally). Itself a bizarre choice given Fourie is likely to be cut in the next round.

The kit is distracting from more important things (like the fact losing to Wales would be catastrophic) and clearly the disrespect angle is going to be rolled out at every turn by the UK media - it is already getting on my nerves!

Comment

• Simon Shaw?

Comment

• Well, Simon wasn't the worst as it turned out. That honour was probably shared by Banananaman and Flutey.

The ABs stunning defence and aggro at the rucks and breakdowns did for the Wallabies. They'd done their homework. Don't worry about Quade Cooper's jinks and dummies. Drift, sweat on the players running off him, crunch them or bundle them into touch. Naive stuff from the young Wallabies behind the scrum. Ironically, the Wallaby scrum stood up pretty well for about 65 minutes. If and when Benn Robinson ever returns, they will be even better.

The Wallaby midfield is now rivalling England's for impotency. McCabe, a converted Brumbies fullback at 12, is a cracking tackler but offers nothing else. AAC has been out of form for 12 months. If Berrick Barnes' health is all right, he should be 12, offering an alternative playmaker and field kicker, taking the pressure off Cooper. He's also, providing he's not too far out, the most reliable goal kicker. O'Connor failed again yesterday. On the plus side, Digby Ioane is in rare sublime form, and O'Connor continues to be dangerous wherever he pops up.

But the fundamental problem remains the forwards at rucks and breakdowns. Pocock and Horwell aside. Rocky remains a shadow of the Leinster aggro machine. He might have missed most of the S15 season with injury, hence rusty, but he was a pale shadow last season too. He's skipper and holding his place on name and past deeds alone. And they won't drop him. McCalman is a journeyman. Two thirds of the back row aren't pulling their weight. Higgingbotham was yet again inspiring off the bench. He has to start.

England -v- Wales was pretty tedious overall. It was nowhere near England's best team and they produced pretty much old England rugby, the stuff of years gone by. Wales would be disappointed. A team with half an attacking clue would have taken England in the last 20 minutes. It's all very well to freeze your bum off in Poland and call it preparation. They'd have been better off learning how to structure an attack, something they've been incapable of for several years now. Shame about that boy's broken leg. He was looking useful.

Didn't see Ireland -v- Scotland. Reads like a pretty tedious match too.

Comment

• Notable only for the glimpse of what Manu can do perhaps?

The try showed the potential - the knock ons and tendency to rush out of the defensive line showed he has a lot to work on.

The entire sides shape was dodgy throughout - in attack and defence. So yes as you say same old England.

Comment

• Yes, Manu took the try well. Delightfully set up for him too. Wilko did well. I wouldn't pick Flood in front of him to be honest. Manu offers something the incumbent centres lack - sheer dynamism. The risk is the naivety in defence. I suspect J**** will use him off the bench come the real deal. Why J**** opts for Bananaman - a lumbering giant who runs upright, easy for a defence to read and chop down - in lieu of the likes of Strettle is beyond me.

Comment

• Strettle blotted his copybook in some way around the same time of the hoo-haa in NZ and has never been fully forgiven.

Banahan has gone backwards at pace this season - looks like some of that poundage has gone back on too?

Flood will start in Cardiff simply because Jonno wants a look at everyone - but he probably shouldn't do so as you say.

Comment

Working...
                                X