No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The contest for the playoff spots might be interesting but I can't see it ultimately being anything other than Saints -v- Leicester. They haven't covered as many matches on Sky Italy this season as before but they've been the two most consistently convincing teams. And I expect the hard-headed Leicester to tip out Saints who, while blessed with a lot of talent, lack the sort of onfield leadership needed to pull things together on a consistent basis.

If Bath or Sarries end up cleaning up, or if Saints end up smashing Leicester, I'll deny ever posting the above.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• to LDiCesare.

We actually have a pretty good set of backs right now. By our standards.

Bath and Sarcens are hitting serious form. Saints need to start winning again very soon if your prediction has any chance Finbar.

All Wasps offered yesterday was a good defence. Played in a mud bath and in the fog Tigers messed up chance after chance after chance. A point lost.
      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• I've seen more Sarries than Saints recently and I'm not convinced of their consistency or real quality. Farrell Jnr is promising but he's carrying a very big load. I think Bath at their best are better, but I'm not sure of their consistency either. Saints will benefit enormously from the return of the England players - even more so than Leicester, I think, because Leicester have coped better recently thanks to their greater depth - and they remain the seriously talented mob. It depends where their heads are.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Harlequins are on a very good run.

Leeds look a certainty for relegation, despite Sale and Newcastle losing every game they play in atm.
          Last edited by kittenOFchaos; February 22, 2011, 05:50. Reason: Grammar was atrocious.

Comment

• That is a habit that will backfire on Sale one of these days. You must be worried? Assuming Worcester win promotion I would make Sale and Falcons joint favourites for relegation next season.

because Leicester have coped better recently thanks to their greater depth
            A point of order there if I may sir. We beat Wasps with a starting half back pairing of Grindal and Staunton. We don't always have strength in depth - what pulls us through a lot of the time is the clubs esprit d'corps. Saints have one - but ours has been forged over a longer period (no second tier sabaticals for us).

The French coach is a total fruit loop isn't he?

"We don't like them [the English] and it's better to say that than be hypocritical," said Lievremont.

"We respect them - well in my case at least I do. But you couldn't say we have the slightest thing in common."

We appreciate our Italian cousins with whom we share the same quality of life,"

"We appreciate the Celts and their conviviality and then among all these nations we have one huge thing in common. We all don't like the English.

"We beat Ireland yet left Dublin with the encouragement of all the Irish who said 'for pity's sake, beat the English'.

"With the Scots, it's the same thing. It is also what gives you strength against the English, more than just because of rugby."
            Is this helpful to his own players I wonder?
            It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Who knows with Les Grenouilles? I read the other day Tom Palmer's piece about French rugby. Many of them can't get off the field quick enough to have a smoke.

We don't always have strength in depth
              Only arguably, on any given day, the greatest depth in the Premiership thanks to very very astute planning and signings. Leicester is famous for it as they should be. The most professional rugby club in world rugby. Daylight second.

I also suspect Leicester would beat Wasps at the moment with you and me at 9 and 10 or vice versa. I'd leave the choice to you.

Comment

• Impressed you guys managed to read my last post as it was very garbled.

That said...it was easy to spot words such as Sale and 'sucked' and get my drift.

Looking forward to England Vs France this Saturday. Last year, the French were at home and were about to Grand Slam, with England playing poorly as demonstrated by a draw against Scotland. This year England is playing with alot of confidence and with abit of style (if we ignore the centers) and in 2008 and 2009 England destroyed France. I'm fully expecting England to beat France and by quite abit as the French defense has been completely absent. People said Scotland were ace, blah, blah, blah, then they can't score against Wales of all people. That says it all about the French defense even if we disregard Ireland also putting 3 tries past them (and it should have been more!).

My betting tip? Money on England to win, and a margin of 11-20, though I may be more ambitious with that given how I feel on the day.

Comment

• I think you're being ambitious enough already.

Comment

• What on earth does M'sieur Le Coach have against Morgan Parra? Nice to see Jauzion back. He can do Rougerie's defensive work for him while he's at it. Chabal? Mmmm. One-trick pony. He's been found out before as a flanker. I shakes me head, I shakes me head.

Hape to Irish. He'll be even more redundant there than he is in the England team. I keep reading that Hape and Tindall are decoys for the second wave of the back three. I haven't noticed that. I've just seen Cueto playing 13 much more effectively than the incumbent.

EDIT. It's interesting to read the entire Lièvremont interview translated into English. Bears not much resemblance to how it has been trumpeted. Bits and pieces from different answers have been stitched together. God bless the media.
                    Last edited by finbar; February 22, 2011, 08:18. Reason: Senility

Comment

• The BBC only prints the gospel truth surely?

A strange move for Hape. Bath are better placed to remain competitive than Exiles are.

Yachvili has a good record against England. For kicking that is. His selection suggests to me that M'sieur Le Coach is rather worried and plans to try and suffocate England.

Reinforced by the French defence coach saying they have sussed out how to stop Ashton scoring. But given who is saying that the lad might well get five tries now.

I make us favourites at the moment - though perhaps not by a margin of 11-20.

Comment

• Chabal is the worry. If you're French. Or me. I can't imagine him being exposed on the flank. He'll probably start at 8. But why? When they already have one of the best 8s? The French defensive question marks probably mean England starts favourite. England have done the job against, respectively, poor and diabolically poor oppo. It will be interesting.

Comment

• I'd be surprised if England didn't win. Chabal as a flanker doesn't look great. He can defend, but not for a whole match, and not against fast players.Dusautoir will have to run all over the place to try and tackle for two. Rougerie's defense is poor, but Jauzion hasn't been the best defender either recently. There's a huge defense coaching issue in the French team. When you see the players remain in place waiting for the opponents to get past them, it doesn't matter much if individually they can tackle.
                          And England does look impressive as long as their fly half can pass the ball to his wingers or full back.
                          As for picking Yachvili, it's not clear why. Apparently he's more "on form", "confident"... whatever...
                          The biggest problem I have with this team is its age. Medard is 24, Huget 23, Trinh Duc 25, Domingo 25. Then Pierre is 29 (almost 30), and the rest are 30 or more. It's quite frightening to see that there is no young player in the team. Parra is the only exception. I think it would really have been a good idea to pick a few younger players. Right now my perspective for France is the following:
                          1) Lose against England in the tournament.
                          2) Lose against England in the World Cup.
                          3) Come back next year with most of the players retiring from international duty and having to rebuild a team from scratch.
                          Clash of Civilization team member
                          (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                          web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Bookies certaintly favour an England, which is rather disappointing.

Comment

• For many many many many people.

Do you never sleep, KoC?

Comment

• Never!

Comment

Working...
                                X