No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes Wilko has already signed an extension there hasn't he - so Gav must indeed be short term.

Mafi - non-playing reasons maybe? Or a player unhappy with his coaching and utilisation can develop attitude issues? Given the small circles that are Australian rugby maybe no other S15 franchise was prepared to take the punt if NSW released him. If he can demonstrate up here he has something to offer they may change their minds. I have to say we have seen no sign of attitude issues - just a hard working and capable player.
    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• I've watched both of England's games, and find myself greatly disturbed by the fact that England are actually looking quite good. Who they played is another matter, but you can only beat what is served up, rabble or class. Last weekend was only Italy, but I haven't seen Italy that outclassed in quite some time. The England lineout and their pack in general were superb and Ashton looks to be up there with the best wings in the world right now. England have Croft and Moody to come back into the back row and might well replace Tindall with Tait, all of which would strengthen their side. This looks to be England's best team since 2003. World cup contenders perhaps.

Speaking of Ashton, that swallow dive of his bothers me. I'd love the see him spill the ball over the dead ball line as he does his cocky leap.

Comment

• Speaking of Ashton, I couldn't agree more.

S15 kicks off this weekend. Cipriani on the bench for the new Melbourne franchise.

With Mrs finbar on hols in Oz for a month - more fool her - and nothing else to watch on TV last night, I finished up tuning into the Champions League match between Barcelona and Arsenel. I have to say, if s***** were played like that more often, I might be tempted - almost - to watch some more of it. Some of the Barcelona players' skills were extraordinary. I've never seen such sheer speed, precision and invention. Mighty Arsenel effort to come back, but Barcelona will be mighty p*ssed off with themselves for allowing it. I'll leave it there before I yellow card myself.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Kissball Finbar? For shame!

Speaking of Ashton, I also agree.

QFs is the goal at the RWC. Anything more is getting way ahead of the apple cart. The match with France is going to tell us a lot about whether it is a sea change to competitiveness for England or an all too familiar ability to thump underperforming opponents (and come up short when oppomnents are on form). It is nice to see them playing rugby though - rather than the pointless endless kicking of the Borthwick era.

NZ remain red hot favourites for the RWC for me. Although in any game where two teams take a field anything can happen at times (red card myself for TV punditry type stating the obvious).

At the moment England are particularly dangerous if you let them get a good start -but they are just a work in progress. Watch them go and lose to Scotland now.
          Last edited by Havak; February 17, 2011, 07:26.
          It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• I did have a very long, hot shower and scrubbed myself with carbolic soap afterwards.
            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Quite right too.

Rather amusing that Cipriani is on the bench.

*edit* more turmoil at Wasps as Hanks is sacked (or left by mutual consent if one believes such nonsense).

They visit us this weekend. However poor they are we can never take them for granted. They have a certain jinx factor for us. Crofty should return from injury for the game.
              Last edited by Havak; February 17, 2011, 11:59.

Comment

• Leeds have also dismissed their Director of Rugby (Andy Key).

He had a disasterous tenure as backs coach at Tigers at one point.

Comment

• I was going to ask about that. I thought he and Back were credited with their promotion. Or was it all that cheating little flanker's hard work?

Interesting result in Melbourne. Waratahs thrashed the new Cipriani franchise 7 tries to a big fat zero points. Match wasn't shown here, unfortunately. All I know is that Cipriani missed a penalty opportunity which would at least have put them on the scoreboard. I await my spies' reports with great interest. The result didnt surprise me, the margin did a bit. The Cipriani franchise does have some talent sprinkled through the squad but it's so hard to create a fully-functioning team from scratch and expect it to produce. As the Western Farce has shown. Added to which, the Waratahs have much of the Wallabies' most potent backline, so give them an inch and they'll destroy you.

Comment

• I read that there were 3 yellow cards and a red issued in the Waratahs Rebels game. The cards have certainly been flowing - Highlanders 14-9 Hurricanes - with Nonu sent off for a stupid shoulder charge on Cowan. Imagine if he did that in a world cup semi final. Nonu seems to be playing Sunni Bill into an AB jersey.

The new format of the Super15 doesn't sit right with me. I don't want to see local sides playing each other twice to give a team another shot at levelling things should they lose the first game. The once off format is far more interesting, and the previous format more fair in terms of the best teams going through to the semis. Now we are sitting with a format that is so-so and way too long. Nice for Australia, not so for everyone else. It's a case of too much of a good thing here.

And while we are at it, the Tri-nations should be a bi-annual tournament (halfway between World Cups) with the other two years featuring traditional tours. I'd much rather see NZ tour SA, playing midweek games etc, than being force fed mountains of stale SANZAR broth each and every year.

Too many games kills the anticipation/excitement aspect of rugby.

Comment

• Agreed. But tell that to the cash counters who are driving the game.

I think there were three yellows in the Waratahs game. Don't think there was a red.

Comment

• The Six nations uses one shot fixtures and it really does add something to a tournament for me.

Andy Key was indeed credited - highly praised even - for that promotion by the very same gentleman who has now sacked him. Eighteen months is a long time in Rugby.

Comment

• The HC doesn't suffer, I think, for H&A in the pool rounds. Home advantages can count for much in the HC context.

Comment

• Tours with midweek matches are something I still remember but haven't seen for years and years.
                            Southerners should be careful not to have too many matches. That's destroying players in the NH. So many players get hurt, hurt and hurt again because they play far too many matches.

backs coach at Tigers
                            They have backs at Leicester?
                            Clash of Civilization team member
                            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak

Comment

• The contest for the playoff spots in the Aviva Premiership is starting to get interesting.

Looks like Sale are once again relying on another club being incapable of winning a game...ever.

Comment

Working...
                                X