Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ireland Vs France

We're 8 minutes in and Ireland have started strongly and got a 7 - 0 lead.

I've got my money resting on Ireland to win the first half and France to win the game. My logic? Ireland are far better than how they played against Italy in Rome. Home advantage and the string of playing rubbish will make them come out strong - it certainly looks to be the case.

I'm thinking the French will hit back in the second like all the best teams (NZ win it in the last 20, unless it is against Scotland or some similarly 2nd tier team).

I've also a little on Keith Earls to score a try and that France will win by 11-15 (good odds, but perhaps abit unlikely).

Fun game so far

Comment

• It is 10 points to 3, I'm really wishing I had put some on Sexton to get a full house. He has done some promising runs, the conversion and penalty were a certainty. But given this may be a close game...the drop goal is likely...then we'd just be looking for a try from him.

France should just try playing keep ball for a while.

Comment

• Thank you Ireland, part 1 complete

Half-time Ireland 15 - France 12

Pity they didn't pass to Earls for that second try.

Comment

• Ireland really threw that game away...

I won my bet at odds of 13/2

Comment

• Can anyone tell me why M'sieur Le Coach insists on replacing Parra with 25 minutes to go? What a lazy old French performance, particularly around their own try line. Trinh-Duc hoisted a couple of high kicks but really looked like he'd rather be somewhere else. Credit to Ireland for trying hard but their handling and discipline - apart from the first fifteen minutes - was only marginally better than last week.
            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Ireland really threw that game away...
              Quite the opposite. France almost handed them the game.
              Seriously, the start of the game was what: You've been putting huge pressure on us on the reception, on the lineout and for more than 2 minutes of continuous play, so instead of breathing a little bit, let's attack from our goal line. Ooops..
              Originally posted by finbar View Post
              Can anyone tell me why M'sieur Le Coach insists on replacing Parra with 25 minutes to go?
              He hadn't missed any kick. Letting in a new goal-kicker who might (and did) miss the posts would make for more suspense and therefore a more entertaining game.
              What a lazy old French performance, particularly around their own try line. Trinh-Duc hoisted a couple of high kicks but really looked like he'd rather be somewhere else. Credit to Ireland for trying hard but their handling and discipline - apart from the first fifteen minutes - was only marginally better than last week.
              Trinh-Duc didn't do anything indeed. Médard, the pack (and the flankers in particular), played well, but overall the attacks were awkward (even though the Irish could have been penalised a bit more for their lying on the ground/ball/tackler repeatedly) and the defense sometimes sloppy. I expect at least 3 tries conceded in the next match.
              Clash of Civilization team member
              (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
              web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• You support France, I support Italy and the Wallabies. We both have our crosses to bear, only mine is twice the weight of yours.
                " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Well, I also support Italy when they're not playing France (and anyone who plays England of course). So, I'm not sure yours's that heavier.
                  Clash of Civilization team member
                  (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                  web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Heh what did I do to upset you?

I am very disappointed today - I wanted the draw.

Quite the opposite. France almost handed them the game.
                    I think KoC was picking up on the fact that Irish indiscpline and mistakes are what gave France nearly all their points? Having outscored France by what, three tries to one, Ireland have a right to be disappointed I think. But to win when you are not at you best is what makes great sides - can this French side be great? We find out in a fortnight.

Right now it is England's tournament to lose and very much France's to go out and win. Only the tournament taken as a whole might tell us something about the then World Cup prospects of England and France.

Gatland - who frankly seems to have totally lost it - is now claiming Wales were simply unlucky against England. One win and they are world beaters Warren? Delusional!
                    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Gatland has gone native Welsh, that is for certain

Comment

• Originally posted by LDiCesare View Post
                        Well, I also support Italy when they're not playing France (and anyone who plays England of course). So, I'm not sure yours's that heavier.
                        Our crosses are exactly the same size. And crushing us. There must be easier lives available to us.

I enjoyed Gatland's comment that Wales played better against England than yesterday. He's becoming utterly delusional. They were rubbish against England, very good in the opening quarter yesterday, and went increasingly backwards till they rivalled their poorness against England. That's an achievement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak View Post
                          Right now it is England's tournament to lose and very much France's to go out and win. Only the tournament taken as a whole might tell us something about the then World Cup prospects of England and France.
                          I think that just about sums up things. Only two teams have exhibited any real quality. Overall, this could be the poorest 6 Nations since the Wales GS whenever it was.

EDIT. I notice Steve Mafi turned out for Leicester against Leeds. How's he going? He's one of the great mysteries of Australian rugby. Considered to have bucketloads of potential as a very rangy, mobile lock/flanker, but deemed - by some reasonable judges - to have been scr*wed around by poor coaching, bad advice and Waratahs cost-cutting. Australian-born, finished up deciding to represent Tonga
                          Last edited by finbar; February 14, 2011, 04:44. Reason: Lack of caffeine

Comment

• He is doing okay. Primarily being used at lock (he was signed after the injury to Parling). I think he prefers that position. Has featured more since Crofty got injured and they use him in kind of the same way at the line out.

I've seen him a couple of times, he is certainly mobile and the work rate is right up there - he plays the Lawes role to Skivington's Palmer if you like. He is still very young - Tigers may well send him back to S15 as a real assett for any franchise. I would say the Wallabies have missed a good one here.
                            It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Turns out he'd signed with Parma here, one of the S10 clubs, before Leicester found out about him. They had to pay Parma something for his contract. The Waratahs weren't interested, they cut him from the squad. Maybe some Premiership experience will make him more attractive to other S15 outfits. I know a few people in Sydney who were amazed when he was let go. He had an outstanding junior rep career.

Comment

• Matt Giteau to Toulon after the World Cup. Hardly a surprise. His form and attitude have been a problem for at least 18 months. The decline coincided with Robbie Deans' arrival which might or might not be coincidental. Apparently one of the ringleaders behind the player-initiated sacking of David Nucifora from the Brumbies after winning the comp. Nucifora turning up in the Wallaby hierarchy a couple of years later must have been difficult. Giteau at Toulon would seem to suggest that Gav's tenure is short-term, unless they want to be overloaded with #10 and #12 options.

I also note that Byron Kelleher is heading from Toulouse to Bayonne.

Comment

Working...
                                X