No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, and "The Game They Play In Heaven" was an ARU marketing slogan about seven or eight years ago. Nothing Taffy about it. One of the great slogans, IMHO.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

I liked "The Beautiful Game" too. I think that was one of the first rugby thread titles.
      ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
      ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

"the game we win at all costs and *** sportsmanship" is a better slogan for the ARU surely?

Although the RFU's slogan "give us all your money and do as you are told" would fit the ARU quite well too.

Henry has proved me wrong Caligastia - he does have some coaching skill although it surely helps him to have some of the guys in the squad that he does. If McCaw and Carter stay fit the ABs will remain red hot favourites - but if either gets injured I'm not so sure as neither seem to have decent understudies?
        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Yeah, true. I can't comment on the understudies though, as I haven't been following things too well recently. But I'm sure Henry must have something in the works.

Comment

The touchie responsible for Drew Mitchell's first yellow card - the so-called illegal tackle on McCaw - has been stood down. That's a start.
            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Well sort of. He is still the TMO after all.

He has been replaced in a match involving NZ by a New Zealander??

I also love the way Planet Rugby call it a "top of the table" clash. One side has been head and shoulders over both others so far - it's "top of table" versus "best of the rest"?
              It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

South Africa are pretty much out of the running at this point. Even if they won their three remaining games with bonus points they would merely equal the 15 points NZ have now, so NZ would also have to lose all their remaining games. And even if that happened, being equal in 3N points with NZ would mean that the winner would be determined by points differential. Currently, NZ are +55 and SA are -51. So SA would not only have to win their three remaining matches, they would also have to beat each opposition team by an average of about 36 points.

I suppose it's possible, but it's highly improbable.

Oh, and if NZ get a bonus point win this weekend they have won the competition.

Comment

Looks like we have a couple of sore losers:

Comment

Well they are only telling the truth - NZ certainly do 'cheat'. So do all other International teams of course. Pushing the laws is part of the game.

Interesting point about the penatly to card ratio though don't you think?

Comment

Would be interesting to see the stats from last season. I recall McCaw, in particular, being carded several times last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Havak View Post
                        Well they are only telling the truth - NZ certainly do 'cheat'. So do all other International teams of course. Pushing the laws is part of the game.

Interesting point about the penatly to card ratio though don't you think?
                        That just means NZ tends not to infringe as egregiously as the other teams, and they're better at not getting caught.

Comment

By the autumn series the IRB will have listened to the whiners and refs will be carding you left right and centre?

If you have five red carded we might even beat you.

Comment

Bok vice-captain Victor Matfield suggested the Kiwis "get away with murder".

I love when Boks say things like that.
                            Clash of Civilization team member
                            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Much better Wallaby effort. Solved their re-start problems and managed to hang onto the ball. Quade Cooper wasn't missed much last week because they were never in a position for him to have an impact. This week, with plenty of solid possession, they clearly missed his imagination and initiative. The AB defence was excellent but the Wallabies just ran at them. Opportunity wasted.

The yellow card mystery continued. Woodcock cleaned up the Wallaby hooker with a blatant shoulder charge to the ribs. He got a warning. Last week there were cards for vastly vastly less.

Comment

I bet Peter de Villiers would have been the most irritating person to be sitting next to after he saw the Woodcock cheap shot.

Comment

Working...
                                X