No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As expected, Barnes for Giteau against gli Azzurri. James Slipper also starts for the first time in the front row. Very promising youngster, 21 if that, but a decent challenge first up. Replacing Benn Robinson who, strangely, doesn't seem to have come back from his broken arm. Worrying, because he was looking the goods.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Cripes, Warren, I hope last night has cured you for all time of blathering to the media. Better than the Grand Slam team? Dire, error-riddled, unstructured dross. And soft in the face of Fijian power.

In other news, it seems I'm not going to get to see England -v- Samoa. Not even a replay. Wall-to-wall rugby on a single day. Why? Why wasn't one of the matches programmed for tomorow?
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• I am no longer surprised at the inability by the Welsh setup to play anywhere near their potential. I only got to see the first half before being dragged off to a cocktail party, but it was clear that the Fijian forwards were dominating the Welsh pack in every aspect except the scrum. The Welsh backs weren't getting any go-forward ball and were often getting collared on receipt of the ball. That said, had they straightened a few attacks, North could have been given a chance to score on a few occasions.

It was a game Shane Williams would have loved as the game had alot of broken play.

Comment

• Impressed by Scotland so far, particularly the tight five. I'd never have bet they would be ahead of the Boks at half-time
          Clash of Civilization team member
          (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
          web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Half-time.

England 6 - Samoa 3

Both sides playing nice rugby, no complaints as Samoa are defending well.

Also watching Scotland Vs SA.

SA are being pretty direct which plays right into Scottish hands. Scotland playing their natural game and relying on the boot for scores - until we have a good backline we should opt for this approach.

Comment

• I'm so impressed with Lawes...he has had to carry into several Samoans on several occasions without any pace on the ball and he has managed to retain the ball. Superb.

Comment

• Very good Scottish performance. I particularly enjoyed Jacobsen. He was awesome in my opinion and deserved thee man of the match for all he did, in the scrum, at the breakdown and in defense.
                Clash of Civilization team member
                (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Final Scores

England 26 - Samoa 13

Good game, alot of credit must go to Samoa for fighting hard and pushing England hard.

Scotland 21 - South Africa 17

The Scots toughed it out with South Africa and won. Put simply, if teams try to go through Scotland they'll fail. NZ caught us rusty and by attacking the gaps and off-loading made Scotland look pathetic, SA didn't have the sense to do the same.

Comment

• Originally posted by LDiCesare View Post
                    Very good Scottish performance. I particularly enjoyed Jacobsen. He was awesome in my opinion and deserved thee man of the match for all he did, in the scrum, at the breakdown and in defense.
                    BBC gave MOM to Barclay.

Comment

• Oh yes, at least against Samoa the Banahan at 13 experiment worked and he scored a good try and setup the second.

Comment

• Good on the Scots for playing controlled and effective wet-weather rugby. The Boks were largely clueless and very disappointing. England will fancy their chances.

Ireland certainly turned up against the ABs, played their best rugby for 12 months. Some sublime BOD skills. Pity the ABs had several more gears, and, when they decided to exercise them, looked a class above.

Wallabies handled Italy comfortably enough but frittered away too many opportunities, particularly in the first half, with 50-50 passes and offloads that went astray. Very wasteful. The midfield looked much more effective with Barnes in lieu of Giteau. James Slipper debuted at openside against the wily Castro who spent every scrum driving in almost sideways and getting away with it. Except, once, when the French ref penalised him for it. Having let him do it the rest of the time. Go figure.

France promised on occasions against the Argies but managed to mess things up too often. The Argies, with their spoiling tactics, contributed. Ref Kaplan aided the Argie cause by only penalising ongoing blatant infringements when a yellow card was called for. Still, the French forward power and speed are going to scare the life out of the Wallabies next week.

Didn't see England -v- Samoa so I have no idea.

Comment

• A worrying return of shoddy discipline in the first ten as they adjusted to an interesting paddy ref who was new to me. They over played at times - trying champagne options when more straight forward decisions should have been taken. They blew chances - but it was still positive rugby, still played in the same way they have been trying this entire series. No cause for worry yet.

Banahan has slimmed down since I last saw him - and is an interesting chap. He took his try and the interception nicely, but several times he charged up out the line and missed his man - lucky to get away with it.

The Boks surely will raise their game for Twickers - but very well done the Sweaties. Visiting sides underestimate the Scots sixteenth player at Murrayfield (the weather).

It was the best rugby I have seen from Irleand this year - and they were still casually brushed aside. Wales - whatever spin Gatland tries - are in for a real thumping. Better than 2008 Warren? Pull the other one!

Now on the BBC coverage of the Ireland game I muct check who the paddy colour commentator was - he has a real problem with NZ and the way they slow opposition ball (illegally he says - I was shocked at such an allegation!).
                          It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Probably the same commentator who whinged about the forward pass in the AB try only for his co-commentator to point out that Ireland had profited equally in the course of their try.

Comment

• Ah yes that is the chap.
                              It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Carter is a sod though...

The one kick he chooses to miss is the won that would have won me some money

Comment

Working...
                                X