Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Havak View Post
    Oh I threw in the scrummy one so that you could concentrate on that and I could claim therefore that by omission of criticism you must accept my other assessments. Maybe.

It may be a scratch backline but with all due respect to kOc it is Scotland. Scotland run around looking pretty behind the gainline but can they find a way to actually break it? And they remain very vulnerable to being turned in defence. Most sides are - but Scotland exceptionally so.
    My heart would say a narrow Scottish victory, but my head recognises that the Aussies can simply wander through our midfield anytime they really want to. Australia potentially by 18 points. Scotland need to cut out the vast number of handling errors and try to avoid giving Australia any possession. Take it up through the forwards, take the points on offer from the boot and who knows. Last week Scotland turned down many kickable points in order to get a try and it was a pointless endeavour (literally!). It should also be noted that both previous victories against Australia didn't involve us doing anything as vulgar as scoring a try

As for Ireland...it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect New Zealand to win by at least 20 points, but potentially much, much more if the Irish forwards don't show up. England showed last week that toughing it out in the forwards can prevent a thrashing even if you have an absolutely worthless centre combination...and whilst elderly, Ireland have a much better backline than England.

Comment

• Haven't seen Lealiifano kick as badly as that before. Ever. Looked to lack confidence in his footing on that dreadful surface. His run up looked very tentative. Good strong effort by the patched-up Wallabies. Forwards turned up, Quade gets more confident by the match, the tries were created and finished nicely. Same old, same old for the Scots, unfortunately. They get enough ball but can't do anything with it.

Boks were spookily powerful yet again. Thought the French had the best chance of anyone to match them physically. The difference was that the Boks ran straight and very hard, the French faffed around, neither quick nor strong nor organised enough. They really need a decent 10.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by kittenOFchaos View Post
        As for Ireland...it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect New Zealand to win by at least 20 points, but potentially much, much more if the Irish forwards don't show up. England showed last week that toughing it out in the forwards can prevent a thrashing even if you have an absolutely worthless centre combination...and whilst elderly, Ireland have a much better backline than England.
        Made £118 profit this weekend so I'm pretty pleased even though I watched Scotland Vs Australia.

Just turned on Ireland Vs New Zealand 48 minutes into the game. Ireland are winning 22 - 7. This will be interesting!

Comment

• Originally posted by kittenOFchaos View Post
          Made £118 profit this weekend so I'm pretty pleased even though I watched Scotland Vs Australia.

Just turned on Ireland Vs New Zealand 48 minutes into the game. Ireland are winning 22 - 7. This will be interesting!
          I played an in-play bet for New Zealand to win when it went Ireland 22, New Zealand 10 which made for an even more exciting finale. Will have to watch the rest of the game later. Got to feel for the Irish boys, had O'Gara been around I'm sure they'd have shaped up for a drop goal at some point.

Comment

• Crucial tactical errors towards the end didn't help them. They had to hang onto possession and kicked it away. Still, outstanding Irish effort. They ran out of puff but fought on hard. And the ABs showed why they're the best in the business. Outplayed for most of the day but still won. The Irish mystery remains - how can they be so rubbish one week and outstanding the next?
            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Nice Wallaby effort. Shame they were so wasteful with ball in hand, particularly in the first half. Still, the forwards turned up, back row in particular, and the vaunted Lions back row was negated. Honorable mention, though, to Faletau who never stopped trying. Wallaby backs shredded the Welsh defence often enough to have had two or three more tries. Frustrating. Still, Fatland blames the ref. What an odious dolt Fatland is. That's the 9th loss to the Wallabies in succession, the 22nd loss to a SANZAR team out of 23 matches under Fatland's hand. Time to be rid of Fatland, boyos.

Comment

• Always the bridesmaids.

I thought Barnes had a very solid game myself.

Wales have the same old problems - they can raise it in the six nations, most notably against England of course, but they just cannot threaten the SH big three. Credit to them for hanging in but the Wobblies really should have won that more comfortably.

*The Great White Whale has been named as Coach of the year at the UK Coaching awards. Constant self promotion can be effective it seems.
                Last edited by Havak; December 4, 2013, 06:16.
                It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Remarkably quiet gentlemen.

For my own part work has taken over my life. This is truly an abhorrent state of affairs and not part of the master-plan.

Better news is I'm almost a home-owner

Some terrific Heineken Cup rugby over the past fortnight with the exception of Glasgow Vs Cardiff Blues which was one of the worst games I've seen in a long time.

Is it just me or is Dean Ryan lining himself up for a career in rugby punditry? Almost every day there is some article quoting him. Most recently in praise of Danny Cipriani. Perhaps Ryan has given up on Worcester already and who would blame him

Comment

• Been a bit busy m'self recently. Congrats on acquiring your own castle, kOc.

Dean Ryan is probably looking for a job anywhere after his season's coaching. Oh, and there's definitely a media push on for Cipriani. He's actually played pretty well this season. For all his failings, I'd give him a chance in front of the black hole that is Farrell Jnr.

Seasons Greetings to all! We're off to Naples for 10 days in search of some warmer weather.

Comment

• Mmmmm. Watching Sarries -v- Leicester. Penalty try to Sarries. Merry Christmas, Havak!

And Flood off to France? Interesting decision. I wonder whether Lancaster has told him his England future is limited.

Comment

• Most probably. And Happy New year both.

I'm still in denial about the Sarries result, and hardly over Cockers latest outburst after the Sale game (A Steve Diamond coached team cheats? Shocker!). Perfect time to welcome the old enemy to Welford Road. Or not.

Cockers may have just signed a new long term deal but that won't mean a dime if he fails to make the play offs. I still recall how ruthlessly the club dismissed Deano (who brought them four titles on the bounce and back to back European Cups).
                        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• And we scraped a draw with literallly the last play of the game as Gibson sneaked over. He looks a pretty capable young player incidentally.

A really hard season this one, but then when I look at the (huge) injury list we have three British Lions on that long term - most clubs would suffer with losses like that.

If we can just sneak into fourth and get the boys all fit I don't think any side would fancy us in the play offs.

I've grown to really hate Sarries. They are very very good at what they do but they are also so blatantly breaching the salary cap that it is no longer at all amusing. Hard to see how Saints are compliant either. I suspect both outfits are giving players back end deals (the old wriggles such as consulting jobs for the spouses).

Comment

• Only saw the first half of Tigers -v- Treviso. Pretty average stuff against a team of triers. Couldn't believe how McLean and Williams sliced Tigers open as they did a few times. Little fat Ben Youngs is a mystery to me. He can play some decent rugby but then - as yesterday - make 20 yards with a quick tap, then, under no pressure, pass it to no one.

I enjoyed watching Sarries being exposed by Toulouse. Toulouse just shut them down and Sarries had absolutely no answers.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar View Post
                              I enjoyed watching Sarries being exposed by Toulouse. Toulouse just shut them down and Sarries had absolutely no answers.
                              Zebre 6 - Toulouse 16

Toulouse are perpetual disappointments. Occasionally they get it up, but most of the time they are limp.

Toulouse vs Saracens last week was the difference between me winning £100 or £1100 (needed Saracens within 5). Today I expected Toulouse to win by far more than that...so clearly I'm not impressed with either team at the moment.
                              Last edited by kittenOFchaos; January 18, 2014, 11:41.

Comment

• Toulouse will do that to you. And they picked an arguably stronger team against Zebre than against Sarries.

And, today, flat-track bullies Sarries buried Connacht.

Comment

Working...
                                X