Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Havak View Post
    So will being nineteen stone and changing direction whilst running.
    Not if you are Steve Thompson

Comment

• Big lad these days for sure - the recent legends game I assume?
      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Big lad these days for sure - the recent legends game I assume?
        Indeed.

Comment

• England Vs New Zealand

Turned out to be quite a close encounter.

Ultimately, England have the pack required but the English backline were outclassed. Tomkins lost the ball virtually every time it got given to him and Twelvetrees is just shy of good enough at International level. I don't see the point in sticking with Ashton when England desperately need game changers. Ashton simply doesn't have the pace to be a threat...he may choose a good line occasionally, but he doesn't beat defenders these days.

Comment

• Exactly. Farrell is a black hole, Twelvetrees is willing, Tomkins is a lump. But Lancaster - or Farrell Snr, anyway - doesn't seem to know any better. Manu will make a difference but their only tactics with him involved are (a) give it to him and hope; or (b) use him as a decoy. Great forward effort today. The ABs just class. Labourers against skilled professionals.
            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Back on the 30th of November 'The Daily Telegraph' did an piece where they interviewed a number of prominent figures in rugby about the upcoming Autumn QBE Internationals: Sir Ian McGeechan, Brian Moore, Will Greenwood, Austin Healey, Mick Cleary and Gavin Mairs

Sir Ian McGeechan, Brian Moore, Will Greenwood, Austin Healey, Mick Cleary and Gavin Mairs back England wing to light up the QBE Internationals, while others have a real point to prove.

Sir Ian McGeechan had it pretty much spot on. I have put in bold a key point.

SIR IAN McGEECHAN
              England player to watch Courtney Lawes. He has a physicality and dynamism in attack and defence, and has good skills under pressure. He is one man who could give England a real edge to their play this autumn.

England player with a point to prove Chris Ashton. The wing looks to have a real appetite for work and involvement once again. England will have to make sure he is consistently involved.

Visiting player to watch Kieran Reid. The New Zealand No8 is one of the cleverest forwards in world rugby and sets the standard in game awareness.
              Breakthrough star Mike Brown. He might be new to the No15 position in international rugby, but he has the ability to spark attacks from the back and punish poor kicking by opponents.

Lancaster’s biggest headache Tactical fluency through the midfield.

What’s more important, results or performance – and why? Winning is the objective in international rugby. All coaches and players have a vision for style of play, but the key is marrying this with the attitude to win all the key contests. Winning means you can be more critical of the performance: it allows everyone to keep challenging.

Predictions for the three matches Wins against Australia and Argentina, but defeat to New Zealand.
              I personally thought Lawes was terrific and whilst Dylan Hartley was doing the throwing he was providing excellent lineout ball at the back. Add to that he almost nicked the ball from the NZ lineout on the English 5 meter line. His tackling and work at the breakdown was very muscular and he didn't do anything stupid...best English player in my opinion even with Billy Vunipola being a human wrecking ball.

Comment

• Seems to me both England's midfield and their whole tactical approach with ball in hand is Sarries-oriented. Farrell Snr's doing.

Cripes, Ireland were poor. Second time out for the season, I suppose, rusty, etc, but they just didn't turn up. Not even the feted backrow. And Mike Ross succeeded in making James Slipper look good. Still, the Wallaby forwards turned up, thankfully, and Quade and Toomua had a platform to work from. Quade has really turned his life and game around. Toomua is developing into a very nice foil. Best Wallaby effort for a couple of years.
                " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Hmm - am I brave enough to take Scotland +10? Will have a good think on it.
                  Think long, think wrong I've always said

South Africa hammered Scotland resulting in a 28 point to 0 victory. Scotland could have and should have taken the points on offer from the boot and made it look less of a thrashing. They put everything into getting a try and came close, but no cigar.

It really went to show that since Scotland's Summer Tour to South Africa that the South Africans have made significant progress. But it also reflected a poor defensive approach from Scotland. It shouldn't have been such a thrashing with the players we had playing for us. Three of the South African tries were pretty 'soft' and two were a direct result of ineptitude when facing off against the driving maul. The interception try was again pretty soft and perhaps a result of trying to chase the game.

South Africa probably could have run up more points but decided to practice their defense instead.

Comment

• The Boks have improved enormously. Thought they did the business in the first half, coasted in the second half, happy to defend against Scotland's 70% possession. They never really looked like breaking through, and the error count was appalling. Exit Ross Ford and Jackson for starters.

Comment

• Ashton is probably no longer and England player kOc. Lancaster made no secret that Wade and Yarde and now above him in the pecking order. What bother me is both are lightweight in defence – though probably better than Splash. I still like Strettle – he has a smarter rugby brain than Chris but has fallen well down the hierarchy.

You are both right about the midfield. It’s limitations and the way Manu is used. He is a game breaker but there is nothing strategic to it – it is all throw and hope stuff.

There was plenty of effort but yes a real gulf in class. I have to be pleased that England gave it a go though.

Thank goodness I avoided betting on Scotland.

The Wallabies outdid Ireland in every phase and the new coach has much to think about.

And it seems the Wallabies still have a systemic problem with their relationship with alcohol Finbar?
                      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• I don't think it's ever been systemic. KB has been a major problem, O'Beiber to a lesser extent. First offence for the majority of them. In this case, monumental stupidity. And Link has dealt with it. Interesting that Quade features nowhere in the list.

I don't know much about Yarde, but that wee Wade fella would be a huge defensive worry. Not that Ashton is all that flash either.

Comment

• I do apologise - I was thinking endemic when I somehow wrote systemic. And was possibly being unkind there anyway.

What England need are a few more huge fast Islanders or Kiwis who choose to be English. Well actually they need different backs from 10-14.

Brown is in fine form and Foden is good cover there (though no wing). England have an excellent set of forwards and decent scrummies.

Then they have Farrell who likes to sit a mile back from the gainline, 33 who is a tryer and Tomkins who seems to be out of his depth. Ashton has had his time for now.

Manu will bolster the backs attacking threat when he returned but more quality is needed around him. Yarde is a fine prospect but not much bigger than Wade. As always no easy answers for England.

It was nice to see my old friend Plank in the studio for Ireland v Oz last weekend. Slowly being rehabilitated in the UK media after that white powder business.

I would like to know what handicap kOc would give both Ireland and Scotland this coming weekend?

Comment

• England have decent 9s? Barely. Youngs is the closest thing, but injuries, poor management of same by various managements, loss of confidence, plus an IQ lower than the current temperature outside here, haven't helped. Care is rubbish at Test level, Dickson better but not the answer.

To add to the disciplinary problems, Matt Toomua is now out of the tour with a small tear in his hammy. Scotland will face a very patched-together backline with probably two run-on debutants - Chris Feauai-Sautia at either wing or 13, Bernard Foley possibly at FB. Lealiifano will come off the bench to 12 which will at least boost the goal kicking.

Comment

• Oh I threw in the scrummy one so that you could concentrate on that and I could claim therefore that by omission of criticism you must accept my other assessments. Maybe.

It may be a scratch backline but with all due respect to kOc it is Scotland. Scotland run around looking pretty behind the gainline but can they find a way to actually break it? And they remain very vulnerable to being turned in defence. Most sides are - but Scotland exceptionally so.

Comment

• You were spot on elsewhere. Particularly this:

Well actually they need different backs from 10-14.
                                If the Wallaby forwards turn up, I'm quietly confident.

Comment

Working...
                                X