No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now Rob Simmons is out of the Wallaby second row. Unlike Parling's loss to England, losing Simmons is a positive.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• There is an awful lot riding on the tight fives in this fixture I think.

The BBC have helpfully listed the nineteen players unavailable to Tigers through injury and call ups. Might well be worth your betting a small amount on a Quins win this weekend.
      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• I've tipped Quins. Don't let me down.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Good old Quins. Leicester are the new Quins, it seems.

Laughable officiating yesterday. Clancy and his TMO, between them, invented a new law. Obstruction, but not sufficient obstruction. Gouger Hartley knew where Moore was, stopped in his tracks and blocked him. And a blind assistant ref. Still, it's hard to know which team was more rubbish. Genia seemed to have turned the corner against the ABs but back to his awful worst. England's doggedness - and laughable officiating - got them over the line.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar View Post
            Good old Quins. Leicester are the new Quins, it seems.

Laughable officiating yesterday. Clancy and his TMO, between them, invented a new law. Obstruction, but not sufficient obstruction. Gouger Hartley knew where Moore was, stopped in his tracks and blocked him. And a blind assistant ref. Still, it's hard to know which team was more rubbish. Genia seemed to have turned the corner against the ABs but back to his awful worst. England's doggedness - and laughable officiating - got them over the line.
            I went with family to England Vs Ireland (Rugby League World Cup) in Huddersfield (the awesome John Smith's Stadium) which was very fast paced and entertaining. Later I watched England Vs Australia and in conclusion it was pretty dreadful. Australia didn't appear to care and even then England barely managed to win, though the victory was entirely deserved.

Mike Brown played a blinder...perhaps replace Ashton with Ben Foden as it is a waste not having him in the first 15. It is also scary to consider what Billy Vunipola will be like when he finishes growing.

Comment

• Jeebers, Rob Simmons starts at 6 against Italy. Rarely pulls his weight at lock, now he's not going to pull his weight at 6. Still, England seems to have picked a teamful of full backs.

Comment

• Sorry it has been an insanely busy week.

yes Tigers are suffering much as I expected. You should see the side being fielded tonight - the Academy centres are playing after Smith, Hepetema and Bowden all got injured last week. We now have no fit senior centres at all. Ospreys may well take our colours even though they are also a poor and depleted side.

Of course there was obstruction. However there were also Australians laying all over the ball at every opportunity (yet again) and they were pretty woeful so really ought to look to themselves rather than blame officials. Italy probably have their best chance in many years (though perhaps not a great one even so).

I expect Wales to be absolutely thumped tomorrow. There is a huge gulf in physicality. And I wonder if Samoa can cause an upset? Even Scotland can beat Japan surely?

I expect the Pumas to ask big questions of England but given their (even bigger than ours) lack of quality behind the pack England should end comfortable winners.

Such a shame Yarde and Wade are injured - I would so have liked to see that pairing. Foden is in good form but he is as you pointed out a fullback - they are very different positions (or so the girlies used to tell me).

Did you see the stats last weekend Finbar - 33 was passed the ball on just five occassions. Farrell may be a fine goalkicker but he is no playmaker.....
                It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Farrell is a lump. A creative black hole. Has no real instincst whatsoever, plays by numbers. While he's there, the backs will never function properly. Hopefully one of Burns, Ford, et al, will come through.

I particularly liked Vunipola lying on the wrong side of a ruck like a beached whale, making no attempt to move, right in front of the idiotic ref, with no penalty whatsoever. Frankly, both teams where ****e, England a little less so.

Comment

• Italy were very poor so it's hard to put the Wallaby effort into perspective. Genia had a mixed day but was, overall, a lot better than last week. What offers a lot of promise, though, is the Toomua-Cooper partnership. They mix things up very nicely. Created a lot of opportunities on Saturday that, finally, were taken.

England apparently played half a game against Argentina. I only saw 10 minutes of the second half and they were pretty dire. Farrell with ball in hand a couple of times was embarrassing.

Wales, despite losing players, had more than enough possession to take the Boks. Couldn't do anything with it. Same old problem. If bosh doesn't work, they have no alternative.

France -v- ABs was the pick, I thought. France turned up and weren't prepared to be brushed aside. Tons of possession, but the AB defence was solid and the French lacked anyone to engineer a way through. The ABs just did it again - took their chances when they appeared. Even if their last try came from an offside position, the skill involved was exceptional.

Comment

• They simply seem to have an answer for every side that they play, I fear the worst for next weekend.

Jekyl and Hyde indeed. The Pumas turned up at the breakdown in the second half and started bossing it. When they had ball England ran from side to side with no sign anyone knew how to gain metres. They really are missing the hard direct running of Manu. Tomkins has done nothing of any note in two games - but then any IC and OC is living off scraps outside of Farrell. Unfortunately Lancaster loves him it seems.

An unusual situation for me to feel sorry for Wales - but I do. Copious effort but very little clue - as you say normal service. Davies was having his best game of the year just about and Jones was a big blow to them. The main difference for me was that when the Boks were hitting it up or making breaks their support players were on the shoulder - Wales support players were arriving consistently too late. Basic stuff.

The Boks should go a cricket score on Scotland and one has to take Oz over Ireland - we know nothing about Ireland yet as Samoa were playing sevens in the second half?

I have always tried to ground Welsh fervour by pointing out that downing England in the Millenium cauldron (and it was a great win) did not make them world class. Five victories in twelve tests, none against the SH sides, tells it's own stories and world rankings do not lie. If they have pretentions to win a world cup they must start knocking over SANZAR sides at home at least. I assume they have too much quality for the Pumas - but then I said that last year.

I must quickly mention Ashton who must know he will not feature in the 6N - but ironically may well play against NZ given Wades and Yarde's lack of experience. he blew a gilt edged scoring chance - he straightened instead of pinning his ears back and going for the corner and got himself held up. You could see how unhappy his team mates were.

Final mention for Robshaw - always 10/10 for effort but he is not a "talking" skipper and when the team needed a real kicking in the second half he duly failed to give it.

All that said England are a happier camp than Wales right now.
                      Last edited by Havak; November 11, 2013, 05:30.

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak View Post
                        The Boks should go a cricket score on Scotland
                        South Africa haven't thrashed Scotland since August 2007 and even then it wasn't a cricket score. For that you have to go back to 2004.

South Africa tend to take Scotland on at those things we do well. New Zealand simply make us look ridiculous.

Comment

• True. Though this is the best Bok outfit I have seen since 2007 I think. A substantial win would not surprise me. What handicap would you give them?

Comment

• Reading 'The Telegraph' I see a link to an article about Leicester Tigers using IBM's predictive analytics to reduce injuries.

Raised a smile

As for a handicap on Scotland Vs South Africa...+10 Scotland should cover it

Edit: bookies currently have it at +13.
                            Last edited by kittenOFchaos; November 13, 2013, 04:18.

Comment

• Corbisiero out of this week's game with a bung knee again. Unsurprising. Boring in at right-angles will cause injuries like that.

Comment

• So will being nineteen stone and changing direction whilst running.

Seems to be a chronic condition now - a shame. Given referees have apparently been allowing his boring in we could have done with it against NZ. Frankly I would take any help we could get.

You are right to chuckle at that kOc, the software clearly doesn't work!

Hmm - am I brave enough to take Scotland +10? Will have a good think on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X