No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Kings field an understrength team? They don't have anything other than honest triers on their books. They started the season pretty well - relatively speaking, given that they were expected to be cannon fodder from the outset - but the long season and all the travelling eventually found them out.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• A teacher, or the prison, more and more ares are considering the legal use of cell phone jammer, it has been a necessity of our daily life, I have got one from jammerfromchina.com for my family. so if you want to get one, you can go and visit it for more details. share with you!

Comment

• Nick off, spammer.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Well said.

Yes it was surprising but Kings did indeed make a lot of late changes last weekend with an eye on some sort of relegation/promotion fixture coming up. Is that related to these conferences that S15 now divides into?
          It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• The Kings will play off against the Lions to see who competes in S15 next season. The Kings replaced the Lions at the beginning of this season. Basically a competition to fill bottom spot in the SA conference next season. Pointless really.

Comment

• To everyone except the players concerned I suspect. They will want their place at the top SH table.

In the NH I see the ERC - the body that keeps nearly all the money from the European competitions - is trying it's usual graceless approach to try and stop the French and English clubs creating their own competition from 2015. Everyone else should see sense and keep letting ERC keep all the money apparently? Not exactly a compelling argument?

So in S15 can Brumbies be woeful two weeks running? I like to see an underdog win myself.

And will Saders-Reds be test match tight or a try-fest?
              It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• I fancy the Brumbies and the 'Saders. Sir Ruchie on the bench for the 'Saders, can't see the Reds holding them out. Unlikely to be a try-fest from the Reds anyway. They haven't scored a lot this season.

Comment

• I made the same calls. Expected ACT to be more comfortable, Saders perhaps slightly less so.

And then Brumbies struggled, whilst Canterbury most certainly didn't.

Bulls I think will brush Brumbies aside as they can negate the power game that saw them just squeeze home today?

The other one is a harder call but Saders have all the momentum - inlcuding the thumping served to Chiefs a few weeks back?

It's been a revelation paying attention to S15 in the latter half of the season - don't tell anyone but I have quite enjoyed it.

Risking the wrath of kOc the other sport needs a quick reference. I remember ther 1981 series but I have still never seen a less capable batting line up than this Australia one. Not because they are necessarily bad batsmen - but the shot selection and mental resilience is just woeful?

Comment

• Not sure about bad batsmen, but whether they're Test class is another matter. Hughes' technique and temperament have been found wanting many times in the past. He and his coaches claim to have solved his problems but there's no evidence. Steve Smith, brave and all as he is, will never be a Test 6 as has been proved in the past. But he's not a good enough leggie to bat down the order at around 8.

Watson isn't a Test-class opener. His technique - plant the foot, play around the pad - will never survive against quality bowling. He's a powerful 6 batting out of position. But he wants to open. Clarke wants him in the middle order. Yet more fuel on the fire that is their troubled relationship. Which dates back to junior days.

So when you have 3 of your top 6 immensely vulnerable, you're always going to be up against it. Khawaja at 3 was a very promising younger player who was tried and too quickly discarded. He has solid technique, good concentration, and deserves an extended opportunity. His problem is that he tends to get bogged down, perhaps trying too hard not to get out. An extended opportunity, a couple of scores, and he will get some confidence.

Australia's predicament at the moment is basically a re-run of earlier instances of en-masse batting retirements leaving a black hole, not only in batting quality, but also experience. It happened back when the Chappells, Marsh, Lillee, etc, retired en-masse. It happened again subsequently. But the wheel turns. It always does. Look at England.

Barring accidents, I can't see anyone stopping the Crusaders going all the way. Doesn't auger well for the Wallabies -v- the ABs either.

Comment

• Not sure about bad batsmen, but whether they're Test class is another matter. Hughes' technique and temperament have been found wanting many times in the past. He and his coaches claim to have solved his problems but there's no evidence. Steve Smith, brave and all as he is, will never be a Test 6 as has been proved in the past. But he's not a good enough leggie to bat down the order at around 8.

Watson isn't a Test-class opener. His technique - plant the foot, play around the pad - will never survive against quality bowling. He's a powerful 6 batting out of position. But he wants to open. Clarke wants him in the middle order. Yet more fuel on the fire that is their troubled relationship. Which dates back to junior days.

So when you have 3 of your top 6 immensely vulnerable, you're always going to be up against it. Khawaja at 3 was a very promising younger player who was tried and too quickly discarded. He has solid technique, good concentration, and deserves an extended opportunity. His problem is that he tends to get bogged down, perhaps trying too hard not to get out. An extended opportunity, a couple of scores, and he will get some confidence.

Australia's predicament at the moment is basically a re-run of earlier instances of en-masse batting retirements leaving a black hole, not only in batting quality, but also experience. It happened back when the Chappells, Marsh, Lillee, etc, retired en-masse. It happened again subsequently. But the wheel turns. It always does. Look at England.

Barring accidents, I can't see anyone stopping the Crusaders going all the way. Doesn't auger well for the Wallabies -v- the ABs either.

Comment

• Don't the crusaders basically have the AB tight five? Not to mention messirs McCaw and Carter. Plus Marshall and Guildford have good strike rates on either wing. Quite a formidable prospect for any side really?

They also appear to have a shedload of Whitelocks - all related?

Yes sport is cyclical. And there is no denying central contracts have worked well for English cricket if not for the counties. They are together as a unit for long periods which helps immensely I am sure.

Comment

• Yes, the 'Saders are the core of the ABs. The Whitelocks are brothers. There's also a hooker, Ben Funnell, who is a cousin. Quite a dynasty.

Apart from the contracts, it's just a fact that crops of talented players come along together. It's how you manage the transition between these crops that matters. Australia has never done it well.

Comment

• I recall hearing that it is the first time England have won four consecutive Ashes tests in 85 years. A painful transition for Australia this one.

Crusaders would certainly be my tip in S15 - hit form at exactly the right time - and I guess we are both expecting a Saders-Bulls final? They have a bigger dynasty than the Tuilagi family it seems.

Domestically how did I miss that Andy "all the pies" Goode has gone to Wasps??? Another ex-Tiger crosses the rubicon. I wish him well personally but I'd be happy for him not to win a single game this upcoming season too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak View Post
                              Crusaders would certainly be my tip in S15 - hit form at exactly the right time - and I guess we are both expecting a Saders-Bulls final?
                              Chiefs sneak it.

"No New Zealand team has ever lost a Super Rugby Semi-final match that they have hosted - a record that stretches back 15 matches."

It is amazing how massive an advantage playing at home is in rugby.

Another interesting quote is...

The result will put Todd Blackadder's position under pressure as the Crusaders have contested in all of the play offs since their last title in 2008 but have come short each time.

The man is cursed!

My only redemption was a covering bet on Dagg to score (anytime). Took that bet as it was 'price boosted' and the man has a phenomenal record at scoring tries.

Come on Brumbies...win by 1-5 points, with Stephen Moore grabbing the first try, Morne Steyne scoring anytime. Failing that, lets have Bulls win by 11-15

Comment

• The chap 'Orrible Punt called it correctly...

"The final reason for backing a Chiefs victory is that Dan Carter tweeted in the week:

“If you’re into fairytales then you’ve got to love the arrival of a new Prince. Congratulations Will & Kate #Royalbaby “

The rugby gods surely have to punish such behaviour."

He had Chiefs with a +4 handicap...wonder how much he bet...

Comment

Working...
                                X