No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One game a piece reflects accurately the balance of play between the two games.

Thought Warburton played extremely well, likewise Tommy Bowe. O'Driscoll was spot on when he said that they hadn't buitl many phases. George North wasn't given even one opportunity to attack the line.

Won some money, had Lions to win first half, Australia to win the game as the Lions haven't been finishing strongly.

Makes for an exciting finale.

Comment

• First time the Wallabies actually held onto the pill they got over the line. See what not coughing up the pill can achieve, fellas? Deserved win, they actually tried to play rugby, even if their handling was sh1t. Some unbelievable handling errors. O'Connor showed one brief glimpse of quality as a 10. His pass to AAC was lovely. Beyond that, he's clueless as a 10. Can't read a game, can't run a backline. Dingo's stubbornness is extraordinary. Nice to see Lealiifano kicking, too. He's very good. Last week might have been very different if he hadn't been crocked.

Lions won the breakdowns - much too easily - but, cripes, absolutely no attacking threat. Sexton was playing deeper than the Pacific Ocean, Youngs was overplaying his hand probably as a result. Fine game by Warburton but that back row, with Warburton and Lydiate, is seriously unbalanced, particularly with Heaslip pretty invisible as a ball carrier. Reminiscent of England without that fat Morgan fella.

BOD was poor, with a couple of crook options, but he saw so little of the ball with Davies inside him and Sexton standing out in the carpark.

I liked the way Joubert penalised Vunipola once for boring in - the only way he can stay on his feet - and then gave up, letting him bore in at his whim.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Hey, kOc, I hope you backed Will Genia for MOTM again. He was this week!
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar View Post
          Hey, kOc, I hope you backed Will Genia for MOTM again. He was this week!
          I didn't. I opted for the Lions to win the first half, Australia to win the game.

I felt the Lions handled Genia extremely well. Last week he shone...

Comment

• They did handle him well. Unfortunately they didn't capitalise on it.

Comment

They did handle him well. Unfortunately they didn't capitalise on it.
              Hard to win when you're kicking the ball away.

Criminal match statistics...

Comment

• Originally posted by kittenOFchaos View Post
                Hard to win when you're kicking the ball away.
                My point exactly. Interesting stats. Not one Lions' linebreak - as you say, how can you break the line when the ball is being kicked? - and the missed tackles by some of the Lions' supposedly strongest tacklers. Methinks the Lions were lucky the Wallabies coughed up some much ball with unforced errors.

Comment

• The sign of a true gambler is betting against your own team. Me personally I would not bet on Australia to win (against anyone) if the world was ending.

A test a piece does reflect the tightness of the series but whilst my head has Wallabies as huge favourites now I am still hoping the Lions pull it off.

Gatland has to take chances now - his taffs have largely failed him as everyone but him knew they would - and he probably needs to drop BOD (a series too far for the boy). Roberts will replace Davies if fit and I would definitely have Manu replace BOD - it is time to ask the Wallaby backline different (or at least some!) questions.

And my word the lack of quality at stand off is telling now. He probably has to give Farrell the shirt simply to change things up.

Funnily enough Finbar Fat Ben was a monster in Argentina - admittedly much, much lower class opposition - but he would be doing a better job than big Jamie or that islander they say is welsh I think.

Maybe the Scot Aussie should replace Vunipola? Surely the scots need to be give at least one starter in the series? The reality is of course that if fit Corbs will get the shirt back.

ps Will I ever be forgiven in your signature for getting that Boks-Oz test entirely wrong?
                  It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak View Post

ps Will I ever be forgiven in your signature for getting that Boks-Oz test entirely wrong?
                    In a word ... not till hell freezes over.

Yes, Fatland has to gamble. I'm not sure that it's in his nature. Can they risk Corbisiero? Good scrummager - on the rare occasions that he scrummages legally - but that leg of his looks to be a real problem. I'd go with your centre combo but I don't think Fatland will. Apart from that, it doesn't matter who plays in the centres if they don't see the ball. Sexton's performance on the weekend was just odd, but, presumably, under orders.

Warburton is officially out of next week's match. If Horwill goes, which he probably will, given the IRB's apparent determination, it won't quite balance the loss of Warburton. The Lions will miss the Welshman - based on Saturday's form - more than the Wallabies will miss Horwill.

What the Wallabies have to do is sort out the organisation of their backline. Lealiifano is a very good young 12, fine distributor, very deft chip through when required. O'Beiber didn't use him. He has to. He should be made to watch tapes of how Toomua uses Lealiifano at the Brumbies. In fact, I'd have Toomua - who was excellent against the Lions - at 10 in front of O'Beiber. But it won't happen. It's all very well bringing KB into the line as first receiver but it's what happens post-first receiver that is key. Oh, and the Wallabies have to stop coughing up the pill with unforced errors, too.

Comment

• At least they will have their skipper.
                      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• And the IRB look like even bigger dills!

Comment

• Indeed the ARU have won this one hands down.

Hard to see that they will ever feel the need to ban an Australian player ever again - just give them the "good fella" let off and stick two fingers up to the sport's governing body and the jobs a good 'un?

The RFU of course has no such reservations about handing out disciplinary measures to Englishmen - Cockerill banned for nine games from "matchday coaching activity". In reality that will have almost no effect at home games other than he won't be able to sit in the stand.
                          Last edited by Havak; July 2, 2013, 08:08.

Comment

• Ah well, the IRB can always appeal it again, and keep appealing it till they find an independent official who will decide in their favour. They appealed on the original application of the law. The appeal official didn't find a problem.

I can't imagine the ban will bother Cockers. It might give some relief to the match day officials, though.

Comment

And the IRB look like even bigger dills!
                              Wonder what odds I can get for Horwill getting sent off on Saturday...for stamping

Comment

• A lot longer odds than you'd get for Will Genia as MOTM.

Comment

Working...
                                X