No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The odd one aside, I thought Pollock was consistent. The fact is, the Wallabies adapted better to his style.

The Wallaby backline is going to depend on the extent of the injuries, mainly concussions. Barnes looked like he'd been knocked out and, with his horrible history of concussions, that might be it for him. Not one of his better games till that point either, unfortunately. Very loose kicking, always one of his potential problems. Lealiifano looked all right but it depends on the extent of any concussion. He's a bloody good player, they missed him badly. It looked like McCabe's head landed on the footy and he could have re-hurt his neck. He's only just back from a nasty neck injury. AAC looked to have hurt a shoulder. We'll have to wait and see.

I really don't like O'Connor at 10. Too much running sideways and indecision. He not only takes runners' space but confuses those around him. His lovely talents are just wasted at 10. Worst case scenaro with the backs' injuries, either Quade is called up or Matt Toomua, he who had a fine game for the Brumbies against the Lions. Pocket battleship, solid rather than spectacular skills, massive tackler.

A couple of touches of class from KB on his return too. I wish him well.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Ah well, looks like AAC's shoulder is dislocated. No great depth in 13s, unfortunately. But then who does have?
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Their opposition. Loads of 13s, only one (crocked) 12.

How are the Wallabies for locks if the skipper gets banned?
        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Couldn't see much in the incident m'self. There's cover available but what you lose with Horwill is the leadership.

Comment

• Didn't register it myself at the time. Accusation is he rucked to head area I believe? There's almost zero tolerance for that so if the video shows anything he is certainly out of the series.

Have you noticed the absence of Phillips from the Rebels line up? Strongly indicates that he keeps the nine shirt in Melbourne. Makes me wonder how big a howler he needs before Warren will drop him tbh? He gave away at least two stupid penalties and took as many wrong options - far too many fluffs for one game at this level.

Manu is back from injury so I am hoping he shows something useful againmst Rebels. Pleased for Geoff too - deserves the armband. Quietly effective player (and not a huge self promoter or media darling - unheralded as the old saying goes).
            It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• The charge was a stamp, I think. I just had another look at it. He's retreating backwards from a ruck, AWJ on the ground, his head in Horwill's path. I don't know how Horwill could have seen his head there. Anyway, he's just been cleared.

Phillips is nailed on. He's Fatland's boy. Ben Mowen, who I thought was very good on debut, didn't give him an inch all night. It will be the same next week. There are also reports that POC has a broken hand and Corbisiero is out with a calf injury. Unsurpising given the ongoing attention he was receiving.

Comment

• I got to see the game in my hotel room in Bath prior to practice ahead of the Jane Austin Ball. Happy wife, happy life

James Horwill has been cleared of stamping. Given he kicked his foot backwards, I don't believe his explanation. If the past two Lions tours have taught us nothing it is that anything goes. Burger's gouging (a vile player), the NZ assassination attempt on O'Driscoll and now this...

An exciting game, but one marred by the unique interpretations of the referee. I thought it very apt that he was wearing an advertisement for SpecSavers. The last 8 minutes of the game were very odd and contained very little actual play...whilst tense, it was a very poor end to an otherwise interesting contest.

Given the scrum is such a lottery I find it incredible that so many teams try to use it as a weapon. Atm, the scrum is like the early forms of cannon; potentially devastating, but as likely to explode and kill your own king (King James II of Scotland) as like as not. The Lions lost in the scrum...from early hits and getting pinged the Ozzies came out ahead...who'd have thunk it.

The Lions were extremely lucky on Saturday to get the win, but in their defense they were playing against 16. Luckily, Deans was completely inept in his failure to select a decent place kicker (Scotland's two victories could be attributed to it). Australia could afford to carry someone that can do nothing except kick, the quality of their back-line players really does put ours to shame.

Comment

• Deans certainly erred by opting for O'Beiber to kick after Lealiifano went off. Lealiifano would have done the kicking and he's deadly. Barnes should have kicked. At least until he went off too!

Comment

• Do you guys know who won 'Man of the Match'? I can't find that information anywhere and didn't hear it announced during the game.

Comment

• Folau was named MOTM. Probably on the basis of it being his debut. Great effort, pity he didn't see much ball later on. I'd've had Genia in front of him for MOTM for the Wallabies even if he made a few poor choices in the second half. Hooker Youngs had to be a candidate for the Lions.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar View Post
                        Folau was named MOTM. Probably on the basis of it being his debut. Great effort, pity he didn't see much ball later on. I'd've had Genia in front of him for MOTM for the Wallabies even if he made a few poor choices in the second half. Hooker Youngs had to be a candidate for the Lions.
                        Had Genia down for MOM at 14/1

Comment

• It was absolutely right to punt for an Aussie for MOTM - not because they were better but because it is picked by the host broadcaster. They could lose by 50 and still an Aussie would get MOTM. For me it would have been North or T.Youngs too I think, though I have no huge problem with Folau getting it. He won't put it on his mantlepiece i suspect - MOTM in a losing side.

What a difference 24 hours make. Australia keep their inspirational lock, the Lions lose theirs. Gatland has a problem now - Parling is the obvious replacement on form so can he still risk him against the Rebels?

The Lions have picked a decent side and the combination in the centres know each other well - I expect them to put away Rebels comfortably but how would you chaps call it?

Having seen the Horwell thing it looks like he was spun off balance by arriving players? Unfortunate but not malicious. Probably the right call by the honourable QC involved.

Really hoping the Lions can put it to bed in Melbourne though they will need to improve significantly to do so.

ps If Geoff moves to the starting XV as expected then a bench slot opens up for Gray. Evans has done little to suggest he is ahead of Richie for it?
                          Last edited by Havak; June 24, 2013, 03:21.

Comment

• BTW Finbar I don't really give the absolute upper hand to the Wallaby loosies per se given Pollock stopped the Lions back row from playing at the breakdown. It's unlikely Joubert will be as generous to the home side there, flaky as he is. Some of Pollock's scrum put in calls were frankly rather ludicrous and had me scratching my head.

And Poite in the final test gives us some hope that one game will be played under Northern interpretations.

*edit* so Ioane and McCabe definitely out through injury. Officially. Though it is being reported that an arrest warrant has been issued for Ioane in Oz relating to an incident after a S15 game earlier in the year? Know owt about that Finbar?
                            Last edited by Havak; June 24, 2013, 06:30.

Comment

• The Ioane thing is messy. His brother was involved in some sort of scrap in a pub, Digby apparently on the sidelines. He wasn't charged at the time. Then he was summonsed to appear. It's unclear whether the summons reached him in Wallaby camp. The ARU and QRU are trying to sort out what happened. He's not so stupid as to ignore a summons. Anyway, his shoulder is crocked again so that's him done for the series. He's off to Stade at the end of the season.

I just thought the Wallaby back row was more effective, Mowen on Phillips in particular. And I say again, the ref was pretty consistent for both sides, regardless of whether right or wrong.

The Lions should steamroll the Rebels whose defence can be shocking.

EDIT. Looks like AAC might be a chance to play after all. Hopefully. But it looks like O'Beiber will stay at 10. What a wicked waste of talent as well as compromising the attack.
                              Last edited by finbar; June 25, 2013, 04:53. Reason: Who knows?

Comment

• Both coaches seem to have a broad stubborn streak over selection. I do like the O'Bieber label by they way.

I don't think Pollock had a great game but the only thing that did really bother me was the scrum put in - I think he gave the bright yellow shirts benefit of the doubt on grounding the pill just a little too often. But then I'm not neutral. I was far angrier with the Lions for the poor options they were taking and the shocking turnovers they were conceding.

It seems Matt Dawson can see how the Wallabies have sussed Phillips:

Former Lions star Matt Dawson is claiming Australia have 'worked out' how to control scrum-half Mike Phillips.

In fact most rugby fans can see it - why cannot Warren do so?

Comment

Working...
                                X