Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kittenOFchaos View Post
    but at Twickenham I think it is likely we'll be losing by around 20 points once again. We'll see...it won't be till the day that I get a feeling.
    England 38 - Scotland 18

Why don't I listen to my own predictions when it comes to putting money down?

England Vs Scotland was very entertaining, well refereed and encouraging for both sides for different reasons. England looked like the team that beat NZ and Scotland didn't look like the sort of team that would lose to Tonga.

Wales Vs Ireland would have benefited from Alain Rolland as Ireland were allowed to get away with murder at the breakdown for far too long before the yellow cards came out. That isn't to say that Ireland didn't create alot of legitimate turnovers, but it did stifle the Welsh once they started to attack. Roman Poite also was in the wrong when he called Mike Phillips back after a quick tap penalty - Phillips had tapped right on the mark, the referee claims that he was 5 yards away from it, complete bollocks and it really could have made a difference.

It was a strange game in that the momentum shifted so greatly in the second half. It is hard what to attribute it to...perhaps Wales are lazy as Telfer put it. Perhaps removing Gethin Jenkins stopped the scrum being a disaster for Wales (though I think the Irish fooled the referee there in the first half), or perhaps losing Darcy for Earls made the Irish mid-field more vulnerable...lets hope it wasn't tactics...whatever it was, it was a remarkable turn around. By the end Wales had the possession and territory to win in the end, but they're another team that needs more subtle approaches to scoring from 5 meters out than just boshing it up.

So, what did we learn? That it is going to be a very exciting 6 Nations, that's what

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar View Post
      Richie Gray has gone backwards as a player, methinks.
      Afraid so...send him off to Montpellier as it seems to have revitalised Beattie.

Sale won last week and this week (against Wasps 30 - 33) without his help. Who knows, perhaps we can get a Heineken place through the LV Cup (one of its few redeeming features). Apparently Cipriani scored a cracking try. It was also Wasps first home defeat this season...I know it doesn't really count...
      Last edited by kittenOFchaos; February 2, 2013, 15:34.

Comment

• Beattie has been playing very well for Montpellier according to my French spy and I thought he was about your best yesterday. The rest of the forwards - Gray included - were just too slow to the action and bullied out of the game by England's forwards.

Sale need the LV Cup and the HC spot in order to hang onto some players. Gray, for one, has a HC clause in his contract apparently. And he's worked hard for Sale on the occasions I've seen him. I think they can stay up. They're a better team than LW. Or, at least, they have more talent. And the likes of Daniel Braid have only added to the pool. It's a matter of whether the *cough* coach can realise the potential.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar View Post
          They're a better team than LW. Or, at least, they have more talent. And the likes of Daniel Braid have only added to the pool. It's a matter of whether the *cough* coach can realise the potential.
          I don't get this. Why do people keeping talking about us getting above London Welsh? Surely it is London Irish that we are more likely to overhaul and has this been the case for months.

London Welsh will stay up and deserve to do so, it really comes down to who is more dire...London Irish or Sale Sharks.

Comment

• "It is frustrating and disappointing," said interim Wales coach Rob Howley, who is filling in for Warren Gatland while the New Zealander carries out his duties as British and Irish Lions coach. "The key in any international game is territory and possession and we came second by a very long way."
            The match stats have Wales dominating possession and territory...

Fly-half Dan Biggar offers an apology to Wales' fans for the side's poor start in the 30-22 Six Nations defeat by Ireland.

Comment

• You have to factor in Howley's idiocy. Wales dominated the second half stats, Ireland most of the first half. On balance, Wales probably won the stats. But, as we know, territory and possession are meaningless if you don't do enough with the ball. Halfpenny's try was well taken but Keith Earls gave Cuthbert the space for his. Beyond that, the Taffys didn't look much like scoring despite Ireland being down a man. While they remain obsessed with their monster bosh backs, they're going to suffer the same problem. Unless they find a way to use them.

EDIT. I tell a lie. Wales won the territory and possession stats at 60+%. Howley is a bigger idiot than I thought. My point remains. In fact, more so.
              " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
              "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Mmmmm. Well, almost a re-run of Italy -v- France two years ago. France clueless, apparently disinterested, but this time Italy played some decent rugby in the first half. Brunel has vowed to get the backline working and small steps forward are being made. They're still prone to anxiety and naivety but it's progress. France can be rubbish at times, and they were today.

Comment

• Originally posted by kittenOFchaos View Post
                  I don't get this. Why do people keeping talking about us getting above London Welsh? Surely it is London Irish that we are more likely to overhaul and has this been the case for months.

London Welsh will stay up and deserve to do so, it really comes down to who is more dire...London Irish or Sale Sharks.
                  Sorry, I hadn't checked the prem table recently. If it's Irish you can catch, Irish it is. I still think, though, that Sale has more onfield talent than LW. It's a matter of producing it.

Comment

• Cannot remember the last time all three opening fixtures were so enjoyable to watch.

Very noticeable how the changes at ruck time have altered teams approaches? In fact most, France excepted, seem to be trying to emulate the ABs/Oz high tempo offloading game with varying degrees of success.

Not a perfect weekend given how Tigers LV campaign fell apart in ten mad minutes at the end of the Scarlets game - but an enjoyable weekend of rugger never the less. And I got to watch all three tests in HD (although I was relegated to my bedroom setup to do so). Honestly you would think watching six hours of rugby of a weekend was a crime or something.
                    Last edited by Havak; February 4, 2013, 04:29. Reason: still cannot spell for toffee
                    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• I enjoyed the rugby on the new 44" TV in HD. The only way to watch it I now realise. Even Mrs finbar, who was sitting on the couch doing whatever she does with her iPad, got caught up in the end of the Italy game. Her big test, though, will come when we head to Rome for the Italy-Ireland game courtesy of an Irish mate who bought tickets but can't the trip. I had to lure her into going by making it a three-night stay in Rome to let her trawl the art shops, galleries, et al. Small price to pay. I imagine she will be sitting beside me in the Curva Nord with her sketch book out not paying a second of attention to the match.

Lucky you spelled toffee correctly in the edit box, too.

Comment

• And English is my first language. Apparently.

HD on a large screen is how rugby was supposed to be seen.

That is a very good friend you have there, and the price is indeed a small one. You never know, the game might draw her in? I would have thought "Ireland's call" might catch her attention before kick off - it is a nice little ditty.
                        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• The Irish fans should be good company, too. I imagine we will be surrounded by them.

In other news, it was Richard III buried under the car park in Leicester town centre. You blood-thirsty Leicester-ites, you. Anyway, there's your replacement for George Ford sorted.

Comment

• And given the Skeleton was recovered sans feet (lost in post-burial activity apparently) there must be a suitable joke in there somewhere.

Given your craft I shall leave that one with you.

Comment

• Well, Ford can't kick so his replacement won't be any improvement.

Comment

• Cockerill has implied George will not get a lot of game time for the remainder of the season. He is talking of using Bowden as stand off cover.

You get the sense he feels badly let down by the situation with the boy George?

Comment

Working...
                                X