No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sale -v- Scarlets weren't on TV here so I watched second half on t'internet. There couldn't be many more frustrating teams to follow than Sale. Their capacity to cap excellent passages of rugby with fundamental errors is as astonishing as their capacity to gift points mindlessly to the oppo. Scarlets barely managed to field a team such is their injury list, they were virtually down to part-timers, and Sale should have slaughtered them. Only when Scarlets were down to 13 via a card and an onfield injury was the game finally sealed. There is real talent in the Sale team and it has to be down to coaching that they're so inconsistent. It's such a shame.

On the bright side, Daniel Braid is an excellent signing. Much travelled these days. Just below ABs standard, he had a couple of seasons with the Queensland Reds - where he was tireless and inspiring - before returning to NZ to try for another AB jersey. But he's short of that standard. As shown yesterday, he will do the same job for Sale he did for the Reds. Cameron Shepherd will be more than useful too. A quality player, the great shame is that his couple of dreadful leg injuries have seriously robbed him of his speed. The reason Saints pulled out of signing him last season. But his skills remain, and, with his experience, he should be a guiding light.

All Sale need is a good coach and some stability in the back room. Over to you, Mr Kennedy. Have the guts to remove Steve Diamond.

A French rugby mate tells me that Vincent Clerc will miss the 6N. Fickou, too.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• I found the site down at the tail end of last week so apologies for the tardiness in getting back.

Both my previous posts where I mentioned a certain huge insurance concern still show as hyperlinks for me – very strange.

And I never had any doubt which viewing option would triumph by the way.

And I very much liked that clip put up by kOc as I had missed it. I thought Barnes rode it very well given how he could have milked it? He can be inconsistent as a ref but I like him as a person – not too much of a a prima donna.

I agree with you Finbar that Ford’s move will help him as a player – I just find all the fibbing about the already done deal a bit annoying though. Bath have signed him via his father before they were legally allowed to talk to him – just admit it boys.

I think Sam Harrison has suffered for being behind Youngs too – he might also benefit from jumping ship. I do so hate it when we lose decent half backs though – it’s so often the missing link for us in terms of being a decent performing XV man side.

There is real talent in the Sale team and it has to be down to coaching that they're so inconsistent. It's such a shame.
      Seconded. I’d rather see Sale doing well than any of the SE franchises. The north needs a Union presence.
      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Still no hyperlink for me. You'd have needed to code it, surely, via the little button options above the posting window. I clicked on the post "to reply with quote" - which shows all the code - and there isn't any.

Young talent forced to bide their time behind established players is age-old. Let Harrison go too. You still have the next-to-useless Patrick Phibbs as back up.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar View Post
          Still no hyperlink for me. You'd have needed to code it, surely, via the little button options above the posting window. I clicked on the post "to reply with quote" - which shows all the code - and there isn't any.

Young talent forced to bide their time behind established players is age-old. Let Harrison go too. You still have the next-to-useless Patrick Phibbs as back up.
          Thanks for cheering me up there.

Yes the hyperlink thing is strange - must be my end. But life is too short to look into it any further.
          It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• I came within a whisker of getting two tickets for England Vs Scotland. My name and that of another guy were put in a hat (we both wanted them) and his name was pulled out. I thought £70 a ticket for ground-level seats seemed a bargain and from a reputable source (PE teacher). I'll have to settle for England Vs the Barbarians which my wife has already sorted

With the 6 Nations fast approaching it is interesting to see some of the stats from last 6 Nations - courtesy of 'Orrible Punt.

With those statistics, how Scotland achieved last place is a minor miracle...thinking back, with the exception of the game against Italy, Scotland enjoyed vast amounts of possession, but breaks were unsupported and teams found it reasonable easy to stop us getting over the try line. I'm just hoping that Andy Robinson was perhaps cursed and we'll enjoy abit more good fortune than previously.

The real question this Saturday is whether England can maintain the momentum they seemed to generate over the course of the Autumn Internationals and whether Scotland can produce a performance despite an apparently collapse in form at club level of so many of our 'best' players. The past few years have show our pack capable of matching, if not even surpassing that of England at Murrayfield, but at Twickenham I think it is likely we'll be losing by around 20 points once again. We'll see...it won't be till the day that I get a feeling.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by kittenOFchaos; January 28, 2013, 21:51.

Comment

• Originally posted by kittenOFchaos View Post
              and from a reputable source (PE teacher). I'll have to settle for England Vs the Barbarians which my wife has already sorted
              A PE teacher is a reputable source? Lancaster was a PE teacher.

With those statistics, how Scotland achieved last place is a minor miracle...thinking back, with the exception of the game against Italy, Scotland enjoyed vast amounts of possession, but breaks were unsupported and teams found it reasonable easy to stop us getting over the try line.
              Very interesting stats. But that's been Scotland's problem for a few years now. Strong forwards, plenty of possession, mainly wasted by either going laterally or just running into the defence. Defences just have to drift and wait. They were most dangerous last season with a couple of break outs from broken play. I've always thought the answer was a top class backs coach. And more skilful centres than the incumbents.

The real question this Saturday is whether England can maintain the momentum they seemed to generate over the course of the Autumn Internationals
              Well, against the ABs. That win aside, they were patchy. They produced a performance from nowhere to cream the Wallabies at Twickers in 2010 but it turned out to be a one-off. We shall see.

Comment

• I’m not sure England showed any momentum in the autumn – they played quite poorly against Australia and the Boks and out their skins against NZ. As it stands that was a one off unless they can now put the Scots to the sword.

That said realistically they should win against the auld enemy at HQ.

Stats aside for me Scotlands problem remains that they tend to play decent, even attractive, rugby but often in the wrong part of the park, often laterally, and frequently with the last action of a phase being a basic error or turnover. Handling errors plagued them in the last tournament and that was not Andy Robinsons fault – unless he totally ignored basic skills at training assuming they already knew them?

Oh I just saw Finbar had already made that point about “flattering to deceive” for both England and Scotland. I really should read the whole thread before writing my posts.

Comment

• Why start now?

Comment

• Fair point, well made.

Jim Telfer has broken the Celtic brotherhood whilst trying to gee up his Scottish compatriots - labelling England as "arrogant" (talk about your cliche?) but then labelling the Welsh as "lazy".

Has no one told him you do not criticise anyone but England in the 6N?

Comment

• So 36 debuts at 12? If you'll pardon the plethora of numbers. Decent test for the lad. I don't think finesse will ever be one of his prime assets but he's big and strong and has skills. Looking forward to seeing if he can step up.

Comment

• Yes I was very sorry he chose to leave Tigers - similar to Ford in that he demanded first team rugby and Cockers would not guarantee it - Glaws did.

It is a big test for him - particular given how key Manu was in the performance against NZ. Then again Scotland are a very different kind of challenge.

And thanks to you I now have an Irish voice stuck in my head repeating "Twelve-trees".

Comment

• I thought it was also that 36 wanted the chance to settle in a position. He was constantly shifting between 10 and 12 when he got a game. Tigers lose players because they have depth in several positions. I don't think he'll ever make a 10 - of any quality - but he could be a very useful 12.

Comment

• England Saxons 9-13 Scotland A
                            Scotland A follow up last season's thumping victory over England Saxons by securing their first ever win on English soil.

Comment

• A mate who watched it said England were pretty ordinary, George Ford most of all. I'll have to take his word for it.

Comment

• Yet another spirited comeback by Wales which will let Howley tell us that the signs were good but, by Cripes, they were shocking in the first half. Same old same old same old. Keith Earls and the ref were almost singlehandedly responsible for most of the Welsh comeback.

England very impressive but given acres of space to work in by some very soft Scotland defence. Nice debut by 36. He has skills and nouse that Barritt doesn't. Manu outside 36 would be an interesting proposition. Same old problem really for Scotland. Dangrous in a break-out situation but not a lot else created otherwise. Richie Gray has gone backwards as a player, methinks.

Comment

Working...
                                X