No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think England need to practice how to score tries from 10 meters out. The number of times this past 12 and a bit months we've seen them set up camp deep within the opposition 22 to come away with nothing. It is embarrassing.

In terms of rust, England and Wales or England and Scotland should play a game the week prior to the SH teams coming over.

Comment

• Come in, Mr Tindall, your time is up. Signor Mani di Burro aside, the alternative to hitting it up through the forwards is haphazard hurling it around and hoping. You need either invention - of which there isn't much - or cunning, deceitful set plays. Of which there aren't many either.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• The problem is we don't have a wealth of talent in center that have much international experience.

Geraghty? 12Trees? Noon Jonathan Joseph? Turner-Hall?

In other news Mealamu has been cited for his flying headbutt on Moody whilst Moody was prone on the ground and facing away from him.

Plus, who else things we should get rid of the LV Cup? I'd rather see Premiership action or have the players rested, unless Sale can get a Heineken Cup place out of it (because we sure ain't getting it via the Premiership).

Comment

• Geraghty isn't a 12, he's a 10 who has never been given a proper opportunity at Test level, having played under orders that completely negated his talents. As I've said before, Youngs and Geraghty, paired around the gain line, would be jolly interesting. Too interesting for the current management. Harpe is keeping the seat warm for Flutey. Flutey is a better option than Harpe but still far from the answer, methinks.

Fair enough that the AB hooker has been cited. What about Hartley for his flying forearm assault on McCaw's head? It's exactly what dear old Bakkies Botha has been suspended for in the past except Bakkies prefers the shoulder.

The LV Cup is a meaningless comp adding unnecessarily to an already too-demanding season for the players.

In response to the hooker fitness problems, the Australians are flying in - or have flown in - Polota-Nau, arguably the #1 choice, who hasn't played seriously since England were last in Australia. Desperate times ...
          Last edited by finbar; November 8, 2010, 03:56. Reason: Low caffeine count
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Yes Hartley should have been cited - totally unecessary silliness on his part. Does it really help to have a coach comment in public on a citing though? I refer to Henry claiming his hooker is the cleanest player in the world (perhaps he should ask BOD?).

So Dan was dropping his hand again was he? He will do it as long as he gets away with it. Even so his opponent is vastly experienced and should have found a counter, if only to blow up with handbags so it drew the ref to that side more?

My word NZ really do seem to have upset the Celtic (or Pictish) journos?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/johnbeatt..._all_blac.html
            Last edited by Havak; November 8, 2010, 12:02.
            It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Never beating NZ should annoy 'us'.

Scotland currently have the best team we've had in goodness knows how long and Andy Robinson has shown himself to be a capable coach. If NZ turn in another sub-par performance and Scotland find a way to the try line, then who knows. We've storms coming in atm, it could be a very nasty day up in Edinburgh...whilst NZers are familiar with that, it could make it more of a contest between the packs and in that department, Scotland have some promise.

That said, expecting Scotland to find the try-line is abit much.

Comment

• So Dan was dropping his hand again was he?
                And slipping his bind. And boring in. Still, all's fair in the front row. It's up to refs to police things, or, as you say, the oppo to counter it.

and Scotland find a way to the try line
                I might fly to the moon on gossamer wings first.

That said, expecting Scotland to find the try-line is abit much.
                Worry not. The Taffys are closing in on Scotland's reputation for inability to convert. And the problem is mutual - lack of guile and/or cutting edge sufficient to penetrate a defence.

Comment

• What Finbar said - this is not an AB side where Scotland can hope to overcome the weight of history. They might even rest Richie and Dan?

Meanwhile at twickerham a decent 22 will take the field - trouble is it needs to be aggregated from both sides.
                  It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Not the best of wins by the ABs, but a win all the same. It was good to see the Poms coming out swinging for once, rather than simply bending over to receive their kicking, as they have in the past. I'd agree that they had the better of the scrums, but what a mess their lineout was. Too many fat guts I suppose. NZ dominated the loose, but all in all it was a messy performance from the ABs who seem to be lacking accuracy at the moment. I thought SBW had a decent first test, showing hints of class. Felt sorry for Rokocoko, he is getting flack back home but I thought he got through a ton of work and looked like a good All Black wing. I was impressed with the inexperienced Hosea Gear. It made me smile to see Brad Thorn put the hit of the match in on the Pom replacement Hooker after he put the elbow into Richie's face. Of the Poms, I liked Tindal - solid with a hint of mongrel. Just what the Poms need. Where was Toby Flood?

In other news, Kilburn Cosmos played London Scottish on Saturday, and both of Andydog's pups won man of their respective matches, with the older pup also winning player of the day. Feeling rather proud at the moment.

Comment

• Well, they've got choices, haven't they? Depending where they were born, All Blacks by blood, England by residency. Are they on the porky side? Perfect fit for England. Lean, lithe, muscular and highly skilled? All Blacks, obviously.

And we collectively hope - and assume - that you've taken full credit for their outstanding displays.

I thought Joe R's flubs outdid his better work.

Comment

• Are they hated by almost everyone? English then. Are they hated by absolutely everyone? Must be All Blacks in the making. Played in a match involving a London side with a Celtic flavour - then they can play for that Celtic side too (it worked for Colin Charvis)

Seriously I am sure they will make a choice that is right for them should the opportunity arise. God help you if that lands you in the prawn sandwich brigade at HQ regularly.

Tindall? A combination of syllables used to elicit a prescribed reponse there methinks? I'm not playing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak View Post
                          Are they hated by almost everyone?
                          The Lib Dems? Yes, I think so.

Comment

• Even themselves I would rather suspect.

So Hartley comes in. I hope the Aussie front row has the sense not to react to the provocation coming their way.

And to counter the Wallaby back line and it's blistering pace? 37 year old Simon Shaw comes onto the bench. Mind you he probably is a bit nippier than Cueto these days.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar View Post
                              Well, they've got choices, haven't they? Depending where they were born, All Blacks by blood, England by residency. Are they on the porky side? Perfect fit for England. Lean, lithe, muscular and highly skilled? All Blacks, obviously.
                              There is not an ounce of fat on either of them - I've kept them well away from Havak's beloved pork pies. And aside from drilling them both every weekend in the park, I can only really take credit for my 6 year old as I coach his team (the under 8's). My 8 year old plays for the under 9's and has a different coach.

I'm interested to see what team the Headmaster trots out for the Haggis Munchers. We need to rest some players, McCaw in particular.

Comment

• Goodoh. So the 6 year-old lives offside at the breakdown turning over the ball and the 8 year-old - presumably coached by a Pom - wouldn't know an overlap if it bit him. I think it's time you coached both teams.

In terms of the replacement England hooker, I'm utterly gobsmacked that he wasn't cited. Bakkies has done exactly the same thing and gone. Still, Hartley is always a fine candidate for a yellow - or even red - card and Stephen Moore is one of the fine wind-up merchants.

Apparently tonight's mid-week match is available on-line!

Comment

Working...
                                X