No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English weather was rather better than expected. We got some moisture in the first half and real rain in the second half. Soaked or not, we won. I saw England-Australia in a Bath pub. I would have awarded neither of the tries and found the teams played a poor rugby overall.
    We then tried to look at France-Argentina. In England they'd rather show some international bobsleigh competition or a match of the PSG (soccer... worse: French soccer! even worse: Parisian!!) but no way to see the match on tv. Someone managed to get us glimpses of the test on a computer. Imagine 40 persons in a too small room trying to look at Nyanga scoring a try. Couldn't see the whole match once more, unfortunately.
    I may miss the next match too because we have a match planned on saturday and I might get selected and it might be too late for me to see France play. At least this time I'll have a good reason.
    Clash of Civilization team member
    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• A nice tribute to Alan Jacobson 'Chunk' who has announced his retirement from International duty:

Comment

• Bath over Quins! And I tipped it.

And Worcester over Sarries! Tipped it too.

Making hay while the international players are away.
        Last edited by finbar; November 24, 2012, 03:00. Reason: Insufficient caffeine.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Dire old England -v- Boks effort yesterday. Tough conditions, certainly, but what a festival of average skills, poor thinking and even worse kicking. The Boks are missing a lot of players through injury and unavailability but Meyer is bringing nothing to this team. Launchbury looked good for England and the forwards were better in general - even if Owens let Corbisiero get away with murder scrummaging - but I despair over some of the skill levels and the inability to think, act and handle under pressure. One boshing centre I can accept, but not two. And when will management accept that Farrell Jnr is no more than a solid club player?

Still, the Wobblies only fell over the line against Italy after dominating the first half and going AWOL in the second. I was actually rather hoping for an Italian win. It might speed Robbie Deans on his way. Even if this is still, in part, a Wallaby 2nd XV, the shocking inconsistency isn't a recent phenomenon. It's been going on for five years.

Watched the first 25 minutes of Ireland-Argentina before switching over to England-Bokkie. Wish I'd stayed with Ireland-Argentina. Ireland finally produced something close to their potential, even if the Argies obviously weren't entirely up for it. One game too far for the Argies, I think.

Didn't see Scotland-Tonga. Does this spell the end for Robinson?

Wales looked better against the ABs - whether thanks to Fatland's return, I don't know - in the sense that they competed a lot more strongly than in recent weeks, but to not much effect. Hore's appalling cheap shot on Davies should see a decent suspension. Unkind to think it, but now Davies knows what it feels like. The ABs were a class above.

Didn't see France-Samoa but apparently Samoa continued their very good form.
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Samoa were really good. A bit too indisciplined but the ref was somewhat inconsistent (for both sides). The last 2 French penalties make the score look more comfortable than it was for France.
            Samoa need a reliable kicker, but that's about all they need. They are still a bit too violent and one of them shoulld be cited for his attack of Mermoz. Their scrum was strong, their scrum half is excellent, their backs are fast, they keep the ball extremely well.
            Clash of Civilization team member
            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Andy Robinson quits. Fair enough, too. There is a lot of young talent in that Scotland squad. Hopefully the SRU find exactly the right person.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar View Post
                Andy Robinson quits. Fair enough, too. There is a lot of young talent in that Scotland squad. Hopefully the SRU find exactly the right person.
                Didn't see Scotland Vs Tonga, but clearly the performance must have been atrocious if Robinson couldn't face one more 6 Nations.

I did watch England lose to a rather jammy bunch of Saffers. In my opinion South Africa have been eminently beatable as they are way off their normal pace.

I also watched the Welsh get beaten up and casually beaten by NZ. The error rate crucified Wales...too many dropped balls and Priestland continuing to be a liability (missed two kicks to touch). I do think that some of the Welsh team were definitely at the races and that they were competitive for good spells in the game, but they've got to weed out the weak links assuming they've any replacements.

On the subject of Wales versus NZ...

1. How many weeks should Hore be banned for?

2. Will the 13 man lineout become a common feature of the modern game

Comment

• The Boks have been very ordinary relative to what they're capable of but they keep winning. There's a message there somewhere.

There have been some borderline idiotic suspensions handed out recently. All on the light side. The Bok prop who hit McCaw with a deliberate flying forearm got 2 weeks. I don't know what Hore's disciplinary record is like but I'd've thought he'd be looking at 4 weeks.

Apparently Fatland has used the 13-man lineout before, as far back as his Connacht days.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar View Post
                    Bath over Quins! And I tipped it.

And Worcester over Sarries! Tipped it too.

Making hay while the international players are away.
                    Tipped all the Premiership games correctly, but I was miles off with Ireland Vs Argentina and Scotland Vs Tonga.

Comment

• You tipped Wasps? Good get. I went with that East Midlands mob. Got all the others. Scarlets just screwed me royally in the Celtic comp by rolling Munster in typhoon weather.

Comment

• I've been distracted by domestic matters but would just like to say that Lancaster is starting to remind me of turnip - exactly the same post match rubbish.

I cannot pick on Robshaw too much - clearly not a very bright lad and I've seen better captains make worse errors (admittedly at amateur level).

The English EPS squad should be made to sit down and watch the AB tour matches. It will teach them basic handling skills and what speed of recycling the ball can do (not to mention committing just enough bodies to clear a breakdown).

As normal I paid little attention to the Wales game, on in the background as it was. I am sure I saw a thirteen man line out however? And it worked - because the ABs clearly thought "wtf"?
                        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak View Post
                          I cannot pick on Robshaw too much - clearly not a very bright lad and I've seen better captains make worse errors (admittedly at amateur level).
                          England were competitive with both Australia and South Africa and could have won both games. South Africa know they got lucky with that ricochet...

As for the decisions to kick or not to kick...whatever decision is made the execution has to be good enough.. Against Australia they didn't score from the attacking line-out on repeated occasions. The penalty kick against South Africa didn't result in one final opportunity to attack as they wasted so much time making the decision and taking the kick before failing to secure possession from the SA kick-off.

England and Scotland are both very guilty of failing to score from possession deep in the 22. If I was their coach I'd focus so much of my efforts on developing plays and bursts of intensity that could get them over that final 5-10 meters rather than simply going from side to side, ruck to ruck till a player gets smashed and possession is turned over. At least Gatland had given Wales an rather novel approach to get over the NZ try-line should they get an attacking line-out. More of that!

England versus NZ this weekend...I don't know why, but I'm feeling that England have a chance. Hopefully the referee and his assistants have been to spec-savers...

Comment

• Coach Steve Hansen reiterated that it was crucial for the 31-year-old veteran of 115 Tests to take a rest. “I hope he packs his bags up and disappears,” Hansen said. “I hope he goes somewhere where no one knows anything about rugby so that he is left alone to be Richie McCaw rather than Richie McCaw the All Black captain. That’s what he needs.’
                            Just one more game for Richie McCaw and his New Zealand side after a gruelling season. The All Blacks head to Twickenham this weekend after extending their unbeaten run to 20 matches with a clinical 33-10 victory over Wales, but for the captain’s break afterwards will be much lengthier his colleagues’.

Sounds like a sabbatical at Sale Sharks is in order...

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak View Post

The English EPS squad should be made to sit down and watch the AB tour matches. It will teach them basic handling skills and what speed of recycling the ball can do (not to mention committing just enough bodies to clear a breakdown).
                              Quite. They start by doing the basics very very very well and go from there. It's not rocket science. One of the big differences with NZ rugby is that they're drilled in all the basics from when they're kids. They're not having to be taught them at senior level.

Apart from not being very bright, Robshaw also isn't an international 7. I don't think the back row will ever be balanced while he's playing there. Morgan still can't play more than about 60 minutes without running out of gas. He was a passenger later in the Bok game. I can't believe it's just a fitness issue. Or, if it is, I don't know what the answer is. He's already been told once to go away and get fit.

The 13-man line out was great fun. Shame it was about the only way they were going to score a try.

Comment

• Originally posted by kittenOFchaos View Post
                                http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rug...ing-Wales.html

Sounds like a sabbatical at Sale Sharks is in order...

Comment

Working...
                                X