No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congrats. And I tipped them. I very nearly tipped Irish because they were very good against Quins last week. Humphreys brought some organisation to what had formerly been a rabble. Just had a feeling, though, that Sale, at home, would pull it off. Look forward to hearing about the game.

EDIT. Just read that Sale lost Gray and Cameron Shepard before the match. Extra good effort then.
    Last edited by finbar; November 3, 2012, 03:42. Reason: Sh1t happens sometimes.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• George Ford's goal kicking remains as problematic as ever. Saints shouldn't have been within cooee and finished up with a losing bonus point. They could have had more, too. The ref robbed them with that late award against them for not using the ball from the maul. Tigers were streaming around the side of the maul. Penalty to Saints. A Saints win would have been outrageous, though.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by kittenOFchaos View Post
        My first visit to Salford City Stadium and with it a victory for Sale Sharks. When I have access to my desktop I will post a full report. Needless to say that London Irish showed the same energy as the catering staff.
        I drove my wife and parents on the M62 from Halifax to Eccles. Tonnes of rain and a lot of congestion on the M62. When we got to the turn-off for Eccles we were met by a huge tailback. Spotting an opening I headed down the left side of the slip-road to a completely jammed roundabout. Dodged past a few vehicles and headed off the first exit rather than going towards the stadium. Saw signs for parking at the Eccles RLFC and parked there. We walked under the motorway and for about 15 minutes to get to the stadium. When we past the roundabout we saw the cause of the problem - a broken down car. Walking through the stadium grounds was tricky as the pathway was very dark - only one temporary set of lights had been put up. Long story we missed the kick-off by 10 minutes, as did many spectators. On the way back I got some abuse off a local who was clearly exasperated by the amount of traffic slowing her egress home. I shrugged it off...but it does point to hideously poor planning that such a small gate can cause such a great deal of disruption to the locals.

The new stadium is nice, but it does have quite alot of exposed and unpainted block-work which my wife said gave it an unfinished feel. The pitch looked awesome and appears to be a great surface to play on. The seating also lets you get quite close to the action. The only problem with the seating is that it is a bit snug - so if everyone were to jump up in excitement then pies and drinks will go flying. I have to say it was good to see how packed the terraces were - plenty of atmosphere, it was the VERY expensive seating that was largely empty.

My main complaint about the stadium is they haven't resolved the poor catering situation that existed at Edgeley Park. The queues block the movement of people around the stadium and the service is so slow you will miss part of the game. The service is slow because the staff lack any form of energy - probably a combination of poor wages, selection and management. Hell, they sold out hot chocolate and chocolate buttons - only for us to see people with hot chocolate a few minutes later. Given that the stadium isn't anywhere close to full capacity at the moment they shouldn't have such vast queues. They need to put a rocket up their dim-witted staff.

Ah, the game. Sale profited by way of good, hard, direct running by players such as McKenzie and Powell and by London Irish's poor tackling. Our line-out generally functioned well and out scrum was secure, occasionally putting alot of pressure on Irish. Unsurprisingly, there were quite a few handling errors as it was so wet which often broke up attacking play, otherwise I think we'd have score more tries. Players that stood out for me were Seymour, Powell and Willis our rather junior scrum-half who played with spirit and it was a shame that he took a boot in the back after a rather promising break and had to be replaced. Our forwards outshone our backs and I can't recall Cueto doing anything particularly and Cipriani really shouldn't be allowed to do any place kicking.

As for Irish only one of their players showed much energy saving the first and last 5 minutes of the second half. Quite simply it is amazing how disinterested rugby players often are except for short bursts. As top athletes they should have the energy to go hammer and tongs for more than 10 minutes. London Irish thoroughly deserved to lose, but Sale weren't vastly superior to them which is of concern.

My wife was thoroughly upset that Richie Gray wasn't playing, as was I, but without him playing we win (go figure).

Moving forward both sides need to up the intensity of their game. Professional players should be far more energetic as should our catering staff...in a short game (or half-time) those involved should be going at 100 miles per hour.

Perhaps a better review of the game: http://www.rugbynetwork.net/main/s101/st179801.htm
        Last edited by kittenOFchaos; November 4, 2012, 13:15.

Comment

• I'd read a few poor reports about the stadium. What's the basis of Sale's occupancy? Leasing it? Sharing it?

Suggested in the Guardian tonight that WC medal-winner S. Donald is on a reported £500,000 for two and a bit seasons with Bath. And today he threw an insane pass that was intercepted for the match-winning LW try. Anyone with any knowledge of SH rugby could have told Bath that Donald was an average S14 player at best. Just bizarre. I wonder what Nick Evans, a quality 10, earns at Quins.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar View Post
            I'd read a few poor reports about the stadium. What's the basis of Sale's occupancy? Leasing it? Sharing it?
            Sharing it and on a 25 year lease.

You'd have thought we'd have trialled it for a year before signing up for 25 years. To be honest it is a nice stadium and a fantastic pitch it is just the parking/transportation issues and the catering that need looking at.

Comment

• They're the pretty widespread complaints I've heard and two of the fundamentals if you want to draw a crowd. Sounds like Sale rushed into things. Not good business practice.

Comment

• The catering, and more importantly the bar service, at Welford Road is top notch. The club ensures it is so that fans can be parted from every possibly pound in the time they are in the stadium.
                It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Hmm.

John Mitchell has turned down a permanent coaching position with Sale Sharks.

The 48-year-old New Zealander has been working with the struggling Aviva Premiership club as a consultant during his suspension from the Golden Lions.
                  However he insists he has "unfinished business" with the Lions and wants to be restored as head coach of the Johannesburg-based club.

Mitchell has been found not guilty of six misconduct charges and seen six more withdrawn by the Lions, but he is waiting to discover the findings of nine further charges, which are at the centre of a legal wrangle.

Once that situation is resolved, Mitchell wants to be back in charge of the Lions, whom he led to Currie Cup success in 2011.

"I want my head coach position back at the Lions," Mitchell said. "There is some unfinished business to do with the Lions.

"Furthermore, I am determined that my future will be in South Africa."

Comment

• Hmm.

John Mitchell has turned down a permanent coaching position with Sale Sharks.

The 48-year-old New Zealander has been working with the struggling Aviva Premiership club as a consultant during his suspension from the Golden Lions.
                    However he insists he has "unfinished business" with the Lions and wants to be restored as head coach of the Johannesburg-based club.

Mitchell has been found not guilty of six misconduct charges and seen six more withdrawn by the Lions, but he is waiting to discover the findings of nine further charges, which are at the centre of a legal wrangle.

Once that situation is resolved, Mitchell wants to be back in charge of the Lions, whom he led to Currie Cup success in 2011.

"I want my head coach position back at the Lions," Mitchell said. "There is some unfinished business to do with the Lions.

"Furthermore, I am determined that my future will be in South Africa."

Comment

• So good you posted it twice!

I don't think the Mitchell story is done with yet. There's a school of thought that he's now positioning himself for a contractual pay out from the Lions.

That, or having seen Diamond at work close up, he realised there's only room for one megalomaniac at a club.

Comment

• Certainly true of any club I have ever graced with my magnificence.

The forgotten man - Tait - returns in our LV cup fixture against Sarascums. He owes the club a great deal after three games in 13 months, I do hope he can make a successful return. That groin does now seem a lifelong weakness though.

Charlie H out injured too - so Sarries will be fielding a green stand off.
                        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• I wish Matthew Tait all the best. Very talented player plagued by injury and rubbish England selection policy. Fit, he would solve the England midfield black hole problem in a trice.

Poor old Charlie deserved everything he got. Two tackles with diabolical technique leading with his head.

Comment

• What worries me for Tait is that Groins, like backs, knees and necks, never truly recover.

SO Goode picked ahead Brown is a bit of a surpise - signals that a more kicking based game will be played? Launchbury on the bench I see too.

And Tom Youngs starts. Okay he is green but the lad has ability. As a converted centre he also has a lot more gas than most pitbulls.

Comment

• Yes, groins can be chronic. Hopefully his isn't.

Seemed to be a bit of a raffle between Goode and Brown. Apart from a kicking game I expect - or would hope - that it means Goode will be an alternative playmaker, much as Beale is/was for the Wallabies when he plays/played 15. Glad to see Launchbury given a chance in front of the plodding Bok.

Comment

• Can't find a team sheet for Leicester -v- Sarries let alone a match report. Didn't recognise any of the Tiger names in the scores. All I want to know is how Matty Tait performed. Or if he got through the game anyway.

Big day today. Shame so many of the matches are overlapping.

Comment

Working...
                                X