No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neither game a classic one then Finbar?

The Sale agenda surpises me a little, Kennedy not being a man known to gamble money rashly. Wonder what the odds are on Cips being suspended before Xmas?
    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Watch the highlights only for a giggle at the Wallabies' ineptitude.

The thing is, Kennedy knows Diamond is the type likely to punch Cipriani if he steps out of line. Cipriani will know it too.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• However alcohol and the ability to make sound decisions are not known to go together well.
        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• I wouldn't know. You tell me.

In other news, Quade Cooper returns to the Wallabies after supposedly lacking fitness and match practice. He's played vastly more rugby than the likes of Drew Mitchell and Kurtley Beale. There was clearly some other agenda to his non-selection. Cooper at 10 and Barnes at 12 are the combination most likely to create opportunities, something missing this season, with few tries and Deans' focus on defensive midfields. After last week's debacle, Deans' hand has been forced. Another loss this week, which is highly likely, must have him on shaky ground. It was the AWOL forwards who cost so dearly last week and it will take a massive turnaround this week for them even to be competitive. The useless penalty magnet Ben Alexander coming in at TH doesn't auger well.
          Last edited by finbar; August 24, 2012, 02:07. Reason: Still half-asleep.
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• In other even more interesting news, Richard III's bones could lie beneath a Leicester car park, once the site of a church. Havak, do you hear an eerily whispered "A horse, a horse, my Kingdom for a horse!" as you park your car of a morning?

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak View Post
              Neither game a classic one then Finbar?
              Another game that wasn't a classic was the friendly I saw between Saracens and Stade Francais at the HAC.

My wife had bought the tickets as her father wanted to see a game of rugby. The event was priced and attended by City workers and they were on good form - rah and yah which reminded me why I couldn't ever have worked in the City. Saracens had their full squad out and we got to see up close and personal all their players and Borthwick got hurt.

Wayne Barnes missed the first half but managed not to ruin proceedings - Saracens running up a cricket score (if the cricket team is Afghanistan) and Ashton scored his first try as a Saracen.

All in all it was a pretty tame affair and Stade were pants, but there were some nice moments. Charlie Hodgson made a terrific break and set up Ashton for a further score and it was nice to see a few people get tackled hard man and ball. Charlie Hodgson was in the same year group as me, but he looks ancient whilst I'm still youthful looking - exercise is clearly bad for you. Also, I still have my hair.

I promised my wife that I'd shout "SAAAALE" if CH scored

Final Score: Saracens 61 - Stade 17
              Saracens write-up of the game: http://www.saracens.com/news/view.php?Id=7130

Looking forward to seeing Sale play Saracens at some point later in the year, Richie Grey FTW!
              Last edited by kittenOFchaos; August 24, 2012, 08:27.

Comment

• You'll need to trust me that what I say about alcohol is true Finbar.

I am also somewhat of a Yorkist at heart so those words of the bard often ring in my mind. Plus I do not use the car park in question so I wish the dig team all the best. Few figures in English history have been as maligned as R III after the bard's play (written under the regime of the Franco-Welsh dynasty that came out the victors of that war).

I really feel I must yellow card kOc for going to see Sarascums live - what possesses you to keep doing so?

Still it sounds a better game than Tigers opposed training run aginst Nottingham

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak View Post
                  I am also somewhat of a Yorkist at heart
                  You always were one for a minority cause. I might write a play about a young English Prince playing strip billiards in a Las Vegas hotel room. In 400 years time, someone will claim it as a hideous misrepresentation.

I'm not sure what's going on with kOc's fascination with Sarries. But he's still young. I think a reprimand and penalised 10 metres is probably sufficient for now.

Wallabies blanked by the ABs yesterday. Ironically, they played better than they did the week before. 0-6 at half time with the Wallabies more than competitive without ever really threatening the excellent AB defence. But at least the forwards turned up and competed. But, yet again, Deans' tactics were befuddling. He picked Cooper at 10, but Berrick Barnes at 12 was first receiver more often than not. And he had a shocker, continually kicking the ball away to Israel Dagg. Why? As a result, the likes of Ioane never saw the ball. Cooper had a solid, unremarkable game, rarely given the opportunity to do anything. It's beyond me.

The ABs turned the screws in the second half. They found real rhythm and the off-loads stuck. They flubbed some chances but the Wallabies' excellent scrambling defence kept them down to one try.

Boks incredibly lucky to draw against the Argies. Home advantage always lifts the Argies and they were powerful, quick and thoroughly deserved a win. The Boks never really looked like getting over the line, with a late charge-down try saving their bacon. The Boks and the Wallabies are in the same leaky boat at the moment - dodgy selections and dud tactics.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar View Post
                    Boks incredibly lucky to draw against the Argies.
                    Wow, that is news. Normally I would have taken note of the result but I was too busy with a FPS (Modern Warfare 2, bought and completed Modern Warfare 3 last weekend) and had no money on the result.

It'll be interesting to see how well the Aussies travel to Argentina.

Comment

• No team likes to travel to Argentina to play the hosts. They have always played out of their boots in front of the massively passionate crowds. That said, the Boks were dire, as dire as only they can be when they get selections and tactics wrong. As I say, much in common with the Wallabies.

Comment

• First Havak parks his car on top of Richard III, now there's a lion loose in Essex. Have you been out in fancy dress again, kOc?

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar View Post
                          First Havak parks his car on top of Richard III, now there's a lion loose in Essex. Have you been out in fancy dress again, kOc?
                          Nah, I'm the Panther in the Cotswolds.

Comment

• Treviso > Ospreys. Go you good things. That's 3/3 thus far. Now I have to turn my mind to the AP.

Comment

• I was at the Paralympics and so didn't see any of the rugby today.

However, I did have the misfortune to read the results and read a few reports...Sale Sharks were humiliated by Exeter Chiefs. We didn't even score a try and even with Richie Gray our line-out misfired. Exactly how a line-out including Richie Grey can misfire is beyond me. Brian Redpath made the same speech he made at Gloucester whenever their defensive efforts were absent...doesn't he perhaps realise that the problem may be him. He was a great scrum-half, but I can think of nothing in his coaching career to give any confidence. If Sale had a poor set of players, then perhaps he would have an excuse, but it isn't true, the ability is there, but since PSA our teams have been worthless - there is a reason Hodgson left and I suspect it was because he had no faith in how things were being run. At Saracens today, he was on top form and reached a new landmark (the 1st Premiership player to score over 2000 points!).

In terms of gambling I got the rest of the Premiership results correct, but I really need to check team-sheets when adding Rabo14 games into my accumulators (Leinster didn't bring a team). I got the result at Edinburgh correct however, which was mightily depressing as Munster were far from full-strength and Edinburgh had pretty much all their big-guns. It doesn't bode well.

However, it is nice to have the rugby back

Comment

• Yes, you need to check the team sheets. Leinster and Munster are riddled with injuries at the moment.

Mmmm. Not an auspicious start for Sale. And I tipped them. I wasn't sure why the fuss to get Redpath to the club. Still, we'll see. Sky Italy showed the double-header. Havak would have thoroughly enjoyed Wasps giving up 27 unanswered points to lose. Wade, and, to a lesser extent Varndell, are going to be very very dangerous if they're given an inch. Quins gave them acres, and paid for it. George Lowe started on the wing due to injuries but seemed to think he was defending the 13 channel (though, to be fair, the defence inside him was poorly aligned too). Whoosh. Three tries down the touch line in no time. That Quins got over the line is a testament to their quality. There was never any panic. Wasps started to run out of puff and their shaky defence of last season hasn't gone away. Varndell fell off the easiest of tackles to let in the Quins' try that built their momentum. Yesterday was Wasps of last season only on a grander scale. Dangerous, but fragile. Quins will know what they did wrong and probably won't make the same mistakes again.

I could only stomach half of Sarries -v- Irish. It was either put my eyes out with knitting needles or turn off the TV. I'm not writing this on a braille keyboard. Sarries were Sarries and Irish were a rabble. For all the changes and talk at Irish, Brian Smith turned out a team that looked like they'd never met before they took the field. It's going to be a long season for them.

Comment

Working...
                                X