No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We turned off after about an hour and a half. It did look overblown, et al, but the problem with any sort of spectacle on that scale is that it's hard to capture it for television. I did hear that Mr Boyle was at loggerheads with the organisers over the television coverage. He wanted a director - and, almost more importantly, a crew - experienced in drama coverage, not a team experienced in sport coverage. I don't know how things ended up on that front but we found the coverage was piecemeal, lacking context, defeating whatever story Boyle was telling.

Anyway, Italy has started the medal count well. I can't see it getting any better, though.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• I enjoyed most of the Opening Ceremony whilst trapped in France apart from 'Hey Jude'. They should have ended with Muse, J'adore Muse

Chiefs Vs Sharks in the final of the Super 15 - quite a surprise to the pundit at http://www.superxv.com/ but then I'm coming to believe that his advice is designed to lose punters money (clever!).

My father-in-law from Canada is visiting in August and my wife has got us tickets to see Saracens Vs Stade Francais. Perhaps after an afternoon cheering on Saracens I'll become one

Comment

• No, after an afternoon cheering on Sarries you'll be red carded from this thread!

I actually tipped the S15 card last weekend. I can't see the Chiefs losing it from here. Apart from recruiting well on-field this season, they have a very fine coaching team in place. And with SBW producing some vintage efforts, it's a tragedy that his idiot of a manager has negotiated him back to L***** for a season.

I thought Australian sporting commentators were jingoistic morons. Some of the British commentary I've heard at the Games, particularly at the gymnastics last night, re the Japanese protest, makes the Australian commentators sound scrupulously fair and even-handed.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar View Post
          makes the Australian commentators sound scrupulously fair and even-handed.
          Now you're just being silly.

Comment

• I thought I might get that response. The coverage in English here is via Eurosport. Sky Italy has about 25 dedicated Olympic channels but all in Italian. So it's the Eurosport commentators who embarrassed themselves at the gymnastics. Not in the swimming coverage, I have to say. Their swimming commentators are excellent. They take an obviously keen interest in the GB swimmers but in no way at the expense of others.

Comment

• It's a fair charge in many events. The BBC team for the men's tennis final was Andrew Castle and Tim Henman. Fair and impartial are not words that fit that comentary well.

But you overplayed your hand with the comparison to Australian commentators.
              It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Overplay? Moi?

Comment

• It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Matt Stevens retires. Curse, dang and boo-hoo. Now I'll have to work up a whole new set of cheap jokes for someone else.

Comment

• Still it is good to have to stir the creative juices every so often?

I think he saw the writing on the wall - was never the same player after the ban and I do wonder if he had an EPS future anyway.

So what is all this SMH business about Team Oceania then Finbar? I would have thought the Aussies would be better off having a pop at how meaningless some GB gold medals are - horse dancing for example is hardly a sport.
                      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Team Oceania? I had to look it up. There was an article written about a week ago after the Oz swimming mob had flopped spectacularly. Richard Hinds, the journo, thinks himself something of a humorist. I'm not sure what he has to say now that the gold pile has increased.

Tickled last night that a 34 year-old Italian took bronze in the triple jump behind the God-bothering Americans. He looked about 54. Too much dolce vita.

Comment

• Mmmmm. Sale have signed Cameron Shepherd after Saints signed then passed on him. Bit of a sad story is Cameron Shepherd. Very talented player, winger or full back, who always managed to injure himself when the chance of Wallaby selection arose. Broke a leg and an ankle in a Test three or four years ago. Subsequent leg problems in addition have robbed him of his pace. Saints passed on him because of his injury history and a doctor's report that said his long-term fitness was doubtful. I hope he can prove them wrong with Sale.

Comment

• Cripes, what a dire Wallaby effort yesterday. How the scoreboard flattered them. Abysmal handling skills, some shocking defensive lapses including a howler from Kurtley Beale, handing control of the breakdown to the ABs with forwards AWOL, slow ball, apparently trying to play a running game but with a defensively-inclined midfield, Berrick Barnes standing deeper than the Atlantic Ocean at 10 ... the list is endless. Far from a vintage AB effort, they just shut the Wallabies down with defensive pressure. Three wins on the trot over Wales rendered meaningless. Wales aren't the ABs anyway, obviously, but yesterday's effort was close to embarrassing. Where to from here for Robbie Deans?

The Argies looked like they hadn't played together for a while which is always going to be their problem. They weren't embarrassed by the Boks, unlike the Wallabies yesterday.

Comment

• I did watch the green young British lad beat the grizzled Milanese policeman in the Super Heavyweight. The Italian coaches reaction was very theatrical.

The start of the Championship has caught me off guard - did not see a single minute of it.

And Sale it would seem are continuing to take risks on the off chance they might just pay off?

Comment

• I wouldn't go seeking any Championship - stupid name, I'm going to call it the 4N - highlights.

You've summed up the Sale agenda perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                                X