No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You'd want Joe Lunchbury along with Wade. He's a terrific prospect. Saw him in the baby World Cup event thing whenever it was. Shows the sort of promise that Croft did in his younger days. You don't want Varndell back for any reason whatsoever.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• I was only joshing of course. That ship sailed some time ago.

Although never say never? We took Grindal back and that is equally inexplicable?

I've not seen Lunchbury but will now keep 'em peeled for him.

I wonder if Sale can beat Quins for us? Not that I am taking Bath lightly. Tigers v Bath remains very special for both clubs.
      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• The stats say Lunchbury is 22, 6'6" and close to 19 stone. He apparently played against Leicester last season, his debut. Very mobile, excellent ball skills, when I saw him. He was added to the EPS to cover injuries this season.

No, Sale can't beat Quins. Based on the weekend's effort, they will murder Sale up front and score a lot of tries. On which basis, Sale will come out and win.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• The old Finbar tipping magic doing it's best for Tigers there.
          It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Speaking of which, do you think Scott Hamilton has reached his use-by date? I think he has.

In terms of the relegation thingy, there are four teams left in the fight for the Championship title and promotion. Of the four, only Bristol have the requisite facilities. Obviously, should they not take the title, Newcastle are safe, as are Wasps, regardless of their fiscal position. Read that and weep.

Comment

• I am weeping as I type.

Hamilton - yes I think so. There comes a time for all players. We could do with more cover at fullback however (and yes I know Scott has been lurking on the wing a bit recently). I'm not sure about the lad Morris there as the only other option to Murphy (who lets face it is no lad himself) so we would need to replace Scott in the squad. Perhaps the Academy lads are ready. Or perhaps you know someone world class who will sign for peanuts?

I actually caught the highlights of Bath v insects so saw a little of Lunchbury. Big, mobile and committed is about what I could take from what I saw. More remarkable was Varndell, yes that Varndell, holding up Sam Vesty with a super covering tackle. If only he could do it more often?

Comment

• Vesty showboated before the line. That's what cost him. Prat.

Cipriani can play full back. I suggest you get in touch with Mr Diamond.

Comment

• I can only say how very grateful I am to Mr Diamond for making that one a complete impossibility.

Loose canons - or should I say extremely self confident and self obsessed individuals - don't often last at Tigers. Your old friend VD is the only one I can think of that lasted the course with us.

Vesty's coach put it quite nicely - you can perhaps showboat if you are Chris Ashton and have the gas to never be caught. Sam doesn't and he won't make that mistake again. It's a very nice way of saying "what a plonker". It had implications however - it gave the hated insects a bonus point.

By the way I think we are getting quite closed to a sealed top flight. On field performance is already not sufficient to gain promotion and it is no secret most club owners who have got their toys into the top flight want no relegation. It would be a sad day but I'm coming around to the idea it might well help the national side as more English talent could be brought through without the fear of the drop hanging over the make weight clubs. So - let's get Wasps relegated and then seal the top flight. Perfection.
                  Last edited by Havak; April 25, 2012, 04:03.

Comment

• The relegation fear argument is a bit of a furphy in terms of developing English talent. Expediency is the order of the day, pure and simple. It's easier - and, probably, ultimately cheaper - to buy in players than develop them. Abolishing relegation will do nothing to develop English talent. The answer is to provide better funding for the Championship.

VD, twayt that he is, is also, unfortunately, the best rugby analyst I've ever come across. Odd that a brain that can be so very astute can also belch out such bollocks.

Comment

• It happens in circumstances where there are no brakes between the brain and the mouth.

You may well be right - but sealing the top flight is probably more likely I think.

Tigers must rate the lad Morris - they announced this morning that he has signed a new deal.

Comment

• Ulster and Clermont to win and almost triple your stake...

Why shouldn't I put all my money on this?

Comment

• I've gone Ulster and Leinster. Leinster only because it's not being played at Clermont's fortress. Could go either way, though. Ulster have some injury problems but should cope with the Scots.

Comment

• I'll go Clermont myself.

I see Super 15 has adopted a stupid pool system? I watched a little of Chiefs-Hurricanes and as always the commentary was more interesting than the rugby (which to be fair was quite decent). And since when have Chiefs - long term whipping boys - been so competitive? I really am out of touch.

Tigers have ditched Cotton Traders for Canterbury as their kit supplier next season. The new strip is horrendous. Green chest panel and angular Tigers stripes. It's the worst kit I have ever seen for them (and I've seen some bad ones in the early noughties). Still it might distract the opposition - it is French club or Super 15 type garish! All we need now is the pink away strip!

Comment

• Well Ulster v Edinburgh was more entertaining than I expected as it was very fiercely competitive. I still get the feeling that the winner of the other semi is going to be strong odds on favourite?

So Tigers are about to land Vereniki Goneva, and whilst I knew about Bowden I didn't realise we were taking Thompstone from Exiles. They all look good signings on paper.

Comment

• Like last weekend, I am just one result away from a big payout.

Last weekend was worth £1000s, this weekend merely £400 (not bad off a £5 stake). Last weekend relied on Edinburgh winning in the Rabo14...this time I just need Clermont to do the business.

We shall see!

Comment

Working...
                                X