No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wish I possessed a quick wit to match yours Finbar, I really do.

But where is the Kiwi outrage?
    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• I've always thought one's wit only a reflection of the style of rugby played in the hemisphere in which one is born.

Our only Kiwi decamped those shores. 'Nuff said, really.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
        ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

• Presumably Havak is having this week off too.
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• No, but he is wishing he had.

Had to rest some key players under the EPS agreement, we made some bizarre selections and we are also paying the price for not having a front line goal kicker fit at the moment.

Not a great start to the season it has to be admitted.
            It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Almost another week off for you, Havak. They were dire, even if a Second XV. Treviso is much improved but not that good. Twelvelumpsofwood was dreadful at 10, passes bouncing behind players, hence coordinated attack out of the question, and the defence was just slack. Benvenuti, the child playing at 13 for Treviso, looks promising. I'd read about him in the Italian rugby media - such as it is - and the kudos look justified. He severely embarrassed a couple of Leicester defenders.

I've never much liked Sarries and they did nothing to warm me to them yesterday. Clermont misfired all over the place but, at their worst, still played more intelligent rugby. Last time I saw Sarries, last season, they were playing B-Grade Bok rugby - kick, kick, kick. Now they're doing a mighty fine impression of Scotland - tons of possession, put the ball through a thousand hands behind the gain line, run head-first into a defender or get rolled into touch.

Comment

• Wasps were brave against a typical Toulouse doing their best to self-destruct. Well, Byron Kelleher did his best to sink his team anyway. Ludicrous decision to tap and go when an easy three points were on offer followed immediately by tackling the oppo without the ball and giving away a penalty when Toulouse would otherwise have had a 5-metre lineout. On top of baulking his full back, letting Lemi through to score what was a very dodgy try. At least Skrela kicked straight even if his field kicking was slack. In better weather conditions, Toulouse probably would have won comfortably. But, with Toulouse, who knows?

Comment

• All very well but Bath lost at home - this needs to be mentioned. And as poor as Tigers were they took five points.

We are really missing Flood - even Staunton is better at ten than TT. Billy is a fine player - in a centre's shirt. Not an outside half though. Wood was a big loss just before kick off, as was Hipkiss.

A fit Flood alongside Youngs and we will start to look a lot more cohesive I think. However we lose both for a month soon and god help us if the tri-nations injure them. One ray of Sunshine is that Crofty is playing well after his long lay off.

Saracens are not a popular club for numerous reasons - they push the boundaries of the spirit of the game if that makes sense to you? They defend their coach and players in indefencible situations and go head to head with the RFU and ERP at the drop of a hat. The final last year was a rarity in that a lot of neutrals were backing us for once (normally unheard of!)

It's a real shame because before some of the current board arirved circa 1998 they were a great old club and their fans great fun. Now the club and fans would be better served following soccer as that more closely matches how they behave.

Comment

• Well, yes, except Bath were playing a slightly better team than Treviso. Don't remind me of last year's final. It was support Leicester or pour molten iron down by throat. I couldn't find a match to light the furnace.

Comment

• At least rest easy in the fact that I didn't enjoy your dilemma there more than was strictly necessary to uphold the traditions of the thread.

Yes Bath had better quality oppo. But they lost. At home. A Tigers fan is honour bound to enjoy that fact.

*Off topic aside - I am so enjoying Napoleon Total War right now that I have fired Civ V up just the once for all of five minutes. Whatever that says about me.
                      Last edited by Havak; October 11, 2010, 09:32.

Comment

• A frowning fan clutches at draws.

Comment

• Ah, I see what you did there.

Comment

• I obviously wasn't referring to computer games.

Comment

• Welsh rugby?

Comment

• Or even the England s***** team. For my sins, I watched them -v- Montenegro last night. I thought it was proved in the World Cup that better-than-average club players surrounded - at their clubs - by foreign players of high quality will be made to look better than they are. Put those same better-than-average club players together in one team and they're revealed to be what are what they are - better-than-average club players.

Comment

Working...
                                X