No announcement yet.

Rugby - The Game They Play In Heaven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And the mystery with Peel is why he can't get a Wales jersey.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar View Post
      And the mystery with Peel is why he can't get a Wales jersey.
      Historically it was mainly because he didn't play in Wales, though judging by the current Welsh exodus (Philips included), that's no longer going to be such an issue.
      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• I think the playing offshore thing was always a bit of a furphy with Peel. There seem to have been other agendas at work.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• "Northampton's England squad flanker Calum Clark cited for hyperextending arm of Leicester hooker Rob Hawkins"
          Northampton flanker Calum Clark is cited by the RFU after Leicester Tigers' Rob Hawkins is left with a broken elbow.

This will be interesting! The more I read about Northampton, the less I understand why Havak hates Saracens and Wasps more!

Havak
          Yup, I was talking about Nick Macleod, he is an excellent place kicker and has a good all round game. If we can sort out the front row there is no reason why this group of players can't become a seriously good team - hell, having Richie Gray will make an enormous difference all on its own! As for Peel, I don't think he has ever got back to his best having come to Sale, but he was an excellent signing.

In other news!

Sale Sharks chief executive tells North West Tonight that he feels Danny Cipriani could be rugby union's next global superstar, following in the footsteps of Jonny Wilkinson.

I suspect he'll be disappointed. Good to see us peddling our own brand of bull**** however.
          Last edited by kittenOFchaos; March 21, 2012, 16:19.

Comment

• Sale certainly have potential to kick on form here but yes that PR is a little bit over the top I agree.

As for Saints well there will always be a piquancy to playing them for me but if it helps give and insight into my perspective it might be worth noting that Saints have never beaten Tigers in a final whereas the other two have.

In super slo-mo HD the hyper-extending looked very nasty and quite deliberate. I think Mr Clark is staring down the barrel of a long enforced sabatical. One wonders how long the sport can resist such things involving law enforcement?

*I looked back at the start of the 6N. Most of us tipped France who quite frankly had a disasterous campaign?
            Last edited by Havak; March 22, 2012, 05:14.
            It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Yes, they did. PSA inherited an ageing squad but did himself no favours with some bizarre selections. It will be interesting to see what new blood emerges. The huge pity is that the Walking Shampoo Bottle seems to be the only alternative to William Servat.

I notice that Daniel Bowden is heading from Irish to Leicester. With Grindal off to Bristol, that's Ford, Flood and Bowden in the 10 department. More depth than they've had there for a while.

Comment

• They will be expecting to lose one to call ups so it makes sense to have two more capeable of doing the job.

I would guess Staunton is either retiring or shipping out at the end of this season too.

Grindal was an obvious casualty in that position. When fit (and in one case not banned for foul play!) the two Youngs and Harrison should have that shirt sewn up.

I'm curious how you see the Wales series in OZ Finbar. There is a bit of a tougher backbone to this Welsh squad than in previous tours. Can they realistically take a Test down under? Or even the series?
                Last edited by Havak; March 22, 2012, 07:27. Reason: so the opening sentence made sense!
                It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Yes, a tougher backbone, and, more importantly, there seems to be a pragmatism that's been missing in the past. Sometimes you need to be pragmatic. My worry about Wales is the lack of an alternative to boshing it up. The big boshers aren't going to unduly worry the Wallabies, they're used to the likes of Nonu and the big Bok centres hammering at them. There's also the distinct possibility that the Welsh monster backs might have trouble with the nimble-footed Wallaby backs in attack. As always, a lot will be decided up front. Ben Robinson finally seems to be fit again for the Wallabies, he's a quality loosie. Steven Moore is as good a hooker as is going around. Pocock -v- Warburton will be interesting - though is Warburton turning out to be fragile? Should be an overall good contest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak View Post
                    *I looked back at the start of the 6N. Most of us tipped France who quite frankly had a disasterous campaign?
                    During the RWC many French players blamed the coach. It is fair to assume that they'd do better with PSA. Instead it is back to rubbish they've been peddling for the last few years.

This current French team have plenty of muscle and can be amazing defensively but they simply refuse to commit themselves to playing running rugby. They have to be the most disappointing French squad ever as they show so little flair.

Comment

• This French team is ageing. Lots of players have to be replaced and new players given a chance to shine.
                      Not selecting Mas (our best tighthead by far) against Wales was probably a good idea in terms of bloodying new props, but didn't help win the match. The second row choices are dubious. I mean, Pierre is about as old as the rest of the locks, they all have the same age, maybe trying some younger player would have made more sense. The back row is still very good. Parra should really be selected. Rougerie should also be replaced by someone with some attacking flair in the center. The wounds of Medard and Clerc didn't help, and Malzieu proved to be somewhat limited. Nevertheless, there is some talent: Fritz, David, Fofana, are all very good centers. Fritz/Fofana could be a really interesting pair. We'll have to wait and see what PSA comes up with.
                      Clash of Civilization team member
                      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• It is going to be interesting seeing how France do in Argentina.

Although I am most looking forward to Wallabies v Wales I think. A good contest in prospect indeed.

In other news Danny Care seems to be trapped in a cycle of self-destruction?

Comment

• Patently obviously a dolt with a drinking problem.

Comment

• Sale 9 - Saracens 45

Inexcusable. Looking at the team sheet there is no reason whatsoever for that margin of defeat.

I'm not sure I want to catch the highlights on ITV.

Comment

• Sarries are a number of things that Sale aren't - experienced, pragmatic, good exploiters of weaknesses. Tough for a young team to deal with. Sounds like the defence was ordinary. If I were Mr Diamond I'd be looking for a decent front row instead of a flaky 10.

Comment

• In other news, it appears winning a Grand Slam has inspired the Welsh Regions. Ospreys and Dragons both with good victories last night despite playing away.

And just when I thought I was doing well with the Super 15, along come the Brumbies and beat (someone) the Highlanders.

Comment

Working...
                                X