Yankees owner George Steinbrenner dead at 80

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yankees owner George Steinbrenner dead at 80

(CNN) -- New York Yankees owner George M. Steinbrenner III -- a larger than life figure often called "The Boss" of baseball -- died Tuesday after suffering a massive heart attack. He was 80.

Steinbrenner's family said he was rushed to St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, Florida, where he died.

"It is with profound sadness that the family of George M. Steinbrenner III announces his passing," they said in a statement.

"He was an incredible and charitable man. First and foremost he was devoted to his entire family -- his beloved wife, Joan; his sisters, Susan Norpell and Judy Kamm, his children, Hank, Jennifer, Jessica and Hal; and all of his grandchildren.

He was a true New York icon.

--Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y.
    "He was a visionary and a giant in the world of sports. He took a great but struggling franchise and turned it into a champion."

Under Steinbrenner's guidance, the Yankees earned seven World Series trophies since 1973. He was the longest-tenured owner in Major League Baseball, having served as principal owner since purchasing the club on Jan. 3, 1973. The Yankees have won 11 American League pennants and the seven World Series Championships in that time.

Share your memories and photos of George Steinbrenner

"Steinbrenner is the most famous owner in sports, really maybe in the history of American team sports -- it's a very big deal," said CNN sports contributor Max Kellerman. "He was an ongoing character on Seinfeld...Steinbrenner has made his way into popular culture, into the cultural consciousness.

Video: Larry King reacts to Steinbrenner loss

Video: Steinbrenner demanded excellence

Video: Steinbrenner reacts to 1998 win RELATED TOPICS
    George Steinbrenner
    New York Yankees
    Major League Baseball
    "He bought the Yankees for $10 million in 1973...it actually took some guts. New York was considered a dying city...he turned the organization around within a couple of years and made them back into the biggest brand in world team sports. He was demanding of everyone who worked for him."

Sports commentator Stephen A. Smith called Steinbrenner a "flat-out winner" who "demanded excellence."

Now a baseball icon, Steinbrenner began his Major League career in 1973 after he bought the Bronx Bombers from CBS for $10 million.

Steinbrenner served as chairman of the board of the American Ship Building Company, which had an estimated value of $180 million in sales in 1978. His other ventures including political fundraising, backing of Broadway plays, an interest in the Chicago Bulls basketball team, ownership of the thoroughbred Kinsman Stud Farm in Florida and an extensive holdings in banking operations and Florida real estate.

He was born on July 4, 1930 in Rocky River, Ohio.

His mother, he has said, imbued him with a compassion for the underdog.

He told the New York Times magazine in 1978 that he "never really appreciated" his father when he was growing up but that now he "can't give enough credit" to him. "Anything I ever accomplish I owe to him," he said then.

He often starred in commercials lampooning himself, including a commercial in which he chewed out Derek Jeter for partying.

Just a week or so ago, on his 80th birthday, Steinbrenner attended an exhibition game at Steinbrenner Field in Tampa, Florida. Well-wishes flashed on the Jumbo-Tron, "Happy 80th!" according to an account in The New York Times.

Yankees pitcher Andy Pettitte went to check on Steinbrenner that day. They talked about how the Yankees were doing. The Boss was simple and direct, as usual. He said the team needed to win more.

The pitcher, a legend in his own right, described the experience to the Times.

"We were losing 1-0 or 2-0, and he said, 'We need to score some runs,'" Pettitte said. "So I said, 'Well, it's early, we might score some runs.' He said, 'We'd better.' To me, that summed it up right there. OK, it's him."

U.S. Sen. Charles E. Schumer, D-N.Y., called Steinbrenner a champion.

"He was someone about whom you can truly say that there will never be another one like him. When he bought the Yankees in 1973 the franchise was moribund and he quickly restored them to greatness," Schumer said in a statement.

"I, along with millions of Yankees fans, am thankful for the countless hours of joy we have experienced watching his team at the Stadium or following them on television and radio. He was a true New York icon. My condolences and best wishes go out to the Steinbrenners and the entire Yankee family."

Funeral arrangements will be private, the family said, adding there will be an additional public service with details to be announced at a later date.
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Best owner ever
    Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

RIP

Easy to hate, but you knew he always strove to have his team win (it was only when he realized that micromanaging was counterproductive did they start doing so).
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

RIP BOSS!

His goal was to win championships, and he DID!
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Never liked him; always respected him.
          Which, I suspect, is all he would ask or expect.

RIP.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Here is a compilation of every single time Larry David appeared on Seinfeld as the voice of George Steinbrenner. You sometimes forget how great of a role th...

Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
              RIP BOSS!

His goal was to win championships, and he DID!
              Ming, that exactly how I felt. While some hated him, he owned and built and won.

In real world workforce, you dont win/produce, you shall soon hear the pipes a calling..........and many who worked for him did just that
              Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Working...
              X