Baseball Ettiquette - Chris Carpenter is a weenie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball Ettiquette - Chris Carpenter is a weenie

RHP Chris Carpenter yelled at Houston LF Carlos Lee after the latter popped up in the third inning, slammed his bat to the ground and begun yelling at himself. Both benches emptied. "Things happen," said Carpenter. "I said something; he said something. He's the one that caused everybody to come out, not me. I was just telling him there's no need for it." Manager Tony La Russa, predictably backing Carpenter, said, "Routinely now, hitters pop up a pitch they think they should do (something) with, and they start making noises, and that really is disrespectful to the pitcher. Most of the pitchers just turn around and ignore it. Carp doesn't. And I think Carp's in the right. I think respect should go both ways."
    This caught my eye and brought back some memories and I gotta say Carpenter's a weenie, even worse than Braden griping because somebody dared to run across the mound. Seriously, I've swung at pitches I barely missed and reacted more or less as Lee did. It aint about disrespecting the pitcher. I also pitched in HS and college and if I had any reaction to a batter just missing my pitch I took it as a compliment and smiled. But if Lee was in the wrong, does that mean Carpenter never shows disgust when a batter hits a HR? Wouldn't that, according to Carpenter's "logic", be disrespectful to the hitter who obviously won that battle? And then Carpenter blamed Lee for the benches clearing after he responded to Carpenter getting him to pop up AND yelling at him? Wtf? Talk about disrespect, yelling at the batter you just got out?

Carpenter, you're a weenie

and I dont know why I'm bothered by that Maybe cuz he's a great pitcher and pettiness and greatness dont mix well. I do remember a HS game I laughed at myself after pulling a hanging curve foul and the pitcher started griping at me for some perceived slight, maybe thats it. Overly sensitive pitchers

Is baseball the sport with the 2nd biggest concentration of pansies in he world (behind Soccer?)

Love to see these *****es play hockey
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

In the old days these mouthy pitchers would be taught to shut up with a baseball to the face. Progress
      Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

I'm on Braden's side. A-Rod was trying to make the point of a punk.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

He was trying to get back to first base.

Comment

He needs to invest in a GPS then.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

I never did see what happened but I cant imagine Arod was doin anything other than making a beeline (bees dont fly in straight lines, do they?) back to 1st. Now, if he ran up to the rubber and danced around and spit I can see why Braden got mad

Comment

Who is right?

A-Rod. This is much ado about nothing. 38.16%

Braden. It was classless of A-Rod to walk on the mound. 61.84%

Video no longer available though.

Another write-up. MLB has yanked the video from the Internet.
                Was it a careless move by A-Rod and poor form? Yes. Would he have done it in the ALCS with Josh Beckett on the hill? Probably not. This move shows that A-Rod’s attitude is casual only 15 games into the season and that he doesn’t give a crap about Dallas Braden or the A’s. Did Braden overreact with all his yelling? Probably, but as any pitcher will tell you, his mound is his mound and no base runner should ever disrespect it by running across it the way A-Rod did. I probably would have said something to A-Rod about it but I don’t know if I would have carried it as far as Braden did. Bottom line, A-Rod was in the wrong and Braden overreacted, but it wasn’t a gross mistake by Rodriguez. He should know better, however.
                A player on the field ripping A-Rod's etiquette while running the bases? Where have I seen that story before? A's pitcher Dallas Braden, who went six

Throw in the fact that A-Rod is classless in general, and, well, there you go.

Comment

Probably no one ever told him about how some pitchers feel about the mound, just being thoughtless about that kind of stuff because he doesn't pitch. Like Larussa said, "most" pitchers ignore momentary outbursts from batters, I've never heard of a pitcher getting mad because the batter he just shut down let his frustration show. I'm not entirely indifferent to mound sovereignty , pitchers work hard to develop landing spots and if Arod ran right over that area I might have said something too, and he might have done that. Like I said, I didn't see what happened. But hell, back in HS I had opposing players run by me on the mound and I didn't think anything of it. But who am I to tell pros about the dos and donts?

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                    Who is right?

A-Rod. This is much ado about nothing. 38.16%

Braden. It was classless of A-Rod to walk on the mound. 61.84%

Video no longer available though.

Another write-up. MLB has yanked the video from the Internet.

A player on the field ripping A-Rod's etiquette while running the bases? Where have I seen that story before? A's pitcher Dallas Braden, who went six

Throw in the fact that A-Rod is classless in general, and, well, there you go.
                    It's not like he went and stood on the mound after hitting a homerun a la TO. This is just Yankee hate.

Comment

Do you want to quibble about degrees of being an ass? Your contention is that since Owens was a huge ass, it's OK that A-Rod is just a big ass?

Comment

My contention is that deliberate and obvious intent is grounds for ass-hood. How many people are aware that crossing the mound is frowned upon by some pitchers, let alone makes them an ass for doing so? Jim Palmer didn't have a problem with it.

Comment

Hey Sloww, where's your outrage over Hanley Ramirez?

Comment

About dogging it, and then running his mouth? Another jackass.

Comment

But is it more or less serious than running across the mound?

Comment

Working...
                              X