NHL Off-Season Thread 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post

The ONLY way to have a cap that is consistent and not easily abusable, is to require salaries to not decrease from year to year, to have a limited increase from year to year, and to have a limited overall length that is reasonable for that sport (so baseball 10 years is probably reasonable, football 7 years is plenty; not sure about hockey, but 7 might well be fine there too).
    While I agreed with the overall theme, I did not agree with this statement. I have no issue with decreasing salaries. For an older player, its probably even a fair reflection of that players expected value. I also believe forcing a team to take the higher cap hit of the full contract average and say the 3 year average gets pretty tough to abuse-- the key is to make them feel a cap hit NOW which is reflective of the actual values of the contract
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• With a guaranteed contract (as most NHL contracts of significance are), what difference does it make what number is applied to each season? If you're going to apply the average each year anyway...

"Hi, Rob Blake, I'd like to sign you to a 4 year contract, and pay you $10MM, $4MM, $2MM, $1MM as reflects your likely value to me each year. $17MM total or $4.25MM cap hit per year."
      vs
      "Hi, Rob Blake, I'd like to sign you to a 4 year contract worth $4.25MM per year, $17MM total."

What exactly is the difference? Does Rob care that the first year number is lower? Give him a huge signing bonus if you want, that's not different in any significant sense. Simpler and doesn't allow goofiness.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
        What exactly is the difference? Does Rob care that the first year number is lower? Give him a huge signing bonus if you want, that's not different in any significant sense. Simpler and doesn't allow goofiness.
        When the player gets paid may be extremely important to the player, particularly in longer contracts but that might add in finance concepts that the NHL wants no part of. (ie that 10 million now is "worth' far more than 10 million 12 years from now)

In your Rob Blake example I wouldn't object to actual salaries being used. But lets consider a fictional Alexander Ovechkin contract 18, 1,1,1, 12, 18 ,18, so thats 71 million over 7 years or just north of 10.1 per. A team could explode themselves for a year and then do all sorts of crazy signings-- Simply put I see far more weird games with actual salaries being used than the current issues. The whole purpose is that teams not have more money to spend than other teams and using actuals means that to win or at least to compete for the best FA, you may need to be willing to engage in tomfoolery. For sure there would be GMS that would screw themselves later for the chance to win now-- hell Kovalchuk may have had an offer from a Chicago , San Jose or Detroit for 1,1,22,22. Conversely a rebuidling team might sign him for 25, 15, 1, 1 (surround him with rookies this year and start to add next year and then later have him cheap and you can go buy extra help
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber View Post
          When the player gets paid may be extremely important to the player, particularly in longer contracts but that might add in finance concepts that the NHL wants no part of. (ie that 10 million now is "worth' far more than 10 million 12 years from now)

In your Rob Blake example I wouldn't object to actual salaries being used. But lets consider a fictional Alexander Ovechkin contract 18, 1,1,1, 12, 18 ,18, so thats 71 million over 7 years or just north of 10.1 per. A team could explode themselves for a year and then do all sorts of crazy signings-- Simply put I see far more weird games with actual salaries being used than the current issues. The whole purpose is that teams not have more money to spend than other teams and using actuals means that to win or at least to compete for the best FA, you may need to be willing to engage in tomfoolery. For sure there would be GMS that would screw themselves later for the chance to win now-- hell Kovalchuk may have had an offer from a Chicago , San Jose or Detroit for 1,1,22,22. Conversely a rebuidling team might sign him for 25, 15, 1, 1 (surround him with rookies this year and start to add next year and then later have him cheap and you can go buy extra help
          I can see that now. I wasn't thinking about the team being willing to screw themselves for a few years to pay for the one good year.
          Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

• Not even necessarily screw themselves. Teams can just fiddle with things to make sure they have contracts expiring in a way that overlaps with other contracts coming on, and have those first/last years lower in cost. Teams actually DO this in the NFL, it's just very difficult to get away with too much. No matter what the rules are there are people who will fiddle with them - you just have to make the fiddling not have too much impact.
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• 9-year-old scores incredible hockey goal.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Think the Oilers just set a record for current or former players facing criminal charges.

Some DUIs, manslaughter, and now assaulting wife and daughter?

Read latest breaking news, updates, and headlines. Calgary Herald offers information on latest national and international events & more.

Former NHL defenceman Jason Smith arrested in Calgary for domestic assault

CALGARY - Former National Hockey League defenceman Jason Smith is facing criminal charges after being arrested for domestic assault.

Smith, 36, a former Edmonton Oilers captain for five seasons who retired from the Ottawa Senators in 2009, is charged with two counts of assault and one count of unlawful confinement against his wife and teenage daughter.

Police were called to a southwest home at 8 p.m. on Aug. 10.

The family, who lives in Greely, Ontario, were spending the summer in Calgary.

Although the charges against the Calgarian are serious, Smith’s defence lawyer says they don’t reflect the reality of the incident.

“There’s another side to the story. A different version will surface when the charges are being read in court. People are quick to make judgments,” said lawyer Alain Hepner.

“I think that so many families have issues that the public is not concerned about and it’s sad that a high-profile person has to have his laundry aired in public.”

Police said little about the investigation as it moves to court Sept. 17, but did reveal that celebrity suspects are not given special treatment.

“No one is immune. This would be like any other incident,” said Staff Sgt. Harv Davies.

“Based on the facts and evidence they would have gathered at the scene, charges were laid,” he said.

Smith was released on $1,000 bail and must refrain from drugs and alcohol, and weapons. He is not allowed near the family or their home.

Smith played in the NHL from 1993 to 2009.

He served as the Oilers captain from 2001 to 2007, tying Wayne Gretzky as longest serving team leader.

In 2008, he signed a two-year contract with the Ottawa Senators worth $2.6 million US per season.

But he retired from the NHL in 2009.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• With training camps on the go (and my son already having two practice in his novice division) we are almost out of the off season!!

So

Go Flames GO!! (last year people predicted a very good team and you were mediocre-- now everyone is predicting mediocrity so what will happen?)

Go HABS GO (may management be correct and Price is the guy. I just don't understand letting Halak go for a song)
                  Last edited by Flubber; September 9, 2010, 13:32.

Comment

• Luongo admits he's not captain material...steps down as captain.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                      Luongo admits he's not captain material...steps down as captain.
                      While he is a big part of their team I always wondered at the
                      "goalie as captain" thing. Goal is such a different position-- more controlled and mental-- that I like the idea of a keeper focusing completely on their job as a goalie

Comment

• Courtesy Pierre LeBrun:
                        League comes down pretty hard on Devils for Kovalchuk. Devils lose first-round pick over next 4 yrs plus $3 M in cash plus 3rd round pick

Who gets the first round pick? Or are there just 29 now?

Edit: They only lose 1 first round:
                        Pierre LeBrun
                        "It will be the Club’s decision when, within the next four years, it will forfeit its first-round choice." NHL release says

Comment

• Apparently, Toskala turned down an offer from the Flames earlier this summer. I presume Sutter will be trading Iginla, Kiprusoff and Regehr for Kaberle, Finger and some used Leafs jerseys at some point during the season.
                          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

• That sounds about right

Actually I wouldn't mind trading regehr though if they could package him and adepth forward for a bonafide top 6 scoring forward

Comment

• Oh and word around the Flames camp is that Langkow will flunk his physical and not be ready to go. They are now pretty much assuming he will not be active at training camp and it may be a few weeks into the season before he starts practicing with the team (and that seems like the moderately optimistic view--apparently the neck injury is lingering far more than they hoped)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kontiki View Post
                                Apparently, Toskala turned down an offer from the Flames earlier this summer. I presume Sutter will be trading Iginla, Kiprusoff and Regehr for Kaberle, Finger and some used Leafs jerseys at some point during the season.
                                Thank God Toskala turned it down. Sutter has lost his marbles.

Comment

Working...
                                X