MLB 2011!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
    Oh, admit it, if ANY other team had signed Fielder to this contract you would have slammed them .
    Haha, no doubt.

I was supportive of the Angels getting Pujols though.

Fielder is no Pujols though.

But I'm just fine with two almost Pujols'.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Also, unlike Hanley Ramirez, it looks like Cabrera is fine moving over to 3B.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• The problem is that with Prince's body weight, he's going to decline very quickly. The closest analogy is Mo Vaughan. It's an "almost Pujols" for a very short amount of time - oh, and Pujols was good defensively as well .
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Eh, I dunno. I'll leave the stats to you, but I don't think Mo Vaughn was ever as good as Fielder.

Comment

• Vaughan, due to his later years was decidedly underrated. Not as good as Fielder, but fairly close (recall Vaughn was an average fielding 1B, while Fielder is pretty bad):

Fielder's OPS+:
            Check out the latest Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Rookie Status & More of Prince Fielder. Get info about his position, age, height, weight, draft status, bats, throws, school and more on Baseball-reference.com

97 (age 21)
            164 (age 27) - signed with DET

Mo Vaughn OPS+
            Check out the latest Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Rookie Status & More of Mo Vaughn. Get info about his position, age, height, weight, draft status, bats, throws, school and more on Baseball-reference.com

93 (age 23)
            153 (age 30) - signed with ANA
            115 (age 32)
            113 (age 34) - traded to NYM
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• A-Rod's rape of the Rangers made them decidedly smarter about future contracts.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Never mind the shirt. Or the pants. But he's coming home!!!

Comment

• Considering Prince is 5 years younger than Pujols, and his contract one year less, I think Detroit will be stronger a decade from now then the Angels. Plus, as much money as this is, salaries keep going up and up. In 5 years $24/year isn't going to look that unusual for a top player like Fielder.

Comment

• Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                      Considering Prince is 5 years younger than Pujols, and his contract one year less, I think Detroit will be stronger a decade from now then the Angels. Plus, as much money as this is, salaries keep going up and up. In 5 years $24/year isn't going to look that unusual for a top player like Fielder.
                      That's not really a good analogy. It is what it is, now; just like what it will be is then. That's like griping about paying more for a beer now than in 1885.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

In 5 years $24/year isn't going to look that unusual for a top player like Fielder.
                        That was the common refrain with A-Rod's big score. That was 10 years/$252MM and was signed, what, 10 years ago? Since then, only A-Rod's 2007 upgrade and Pujols a few weeks ago have surpassed that first contract in annual salary.

Today, grand total, there have been 11 $20MM/yr. contracts. Ever. Two of those are A-Rod, two are Manny Ramirez, and two more of them are Yankees (Sabathia, Texiera). Now think about how baseball economics has been trending over that time.

Guess what: $20 miilion is STILL an uncommon number, and it's likely to stay that way.
                        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Considering Prince is 5 years younger than Pujols, and his contract one year less, I think Detroit will be stronger a decade from now then the Angels. Plus, as much money as this is, salaries keep going up and up. In 5 years $24/year isn't going to look that unusual for a top player like Fielder.
                          What JRabbit said. Salaries have not gone up and up. Instead they actually went down for the most part after the excess of A-Rod's first contract. It was only surpased by Pujols, who, you know, may be one of the Top 5 Players in History when all is said and done.

And Pujols is not a fat player. As I said, steep downward declines hit fat players MUCH greater than those who are fit. Pujols could well be valuable when he's 38. Fielder will fall well short.

Comment

• Also today, MGM Resorts International updated its odds to win the World Series:

Tigers 4-1

Angels 5-1

Phillies 11-2

Cubs 6-1

Red Sox 6-1

*The Tigers were 7-1 on Monday

(no idea what's up with the Cubs, but obviously the odds makers are feeling pretty damn good about the Fielder pick up).

Comment

• Also, as far as the Mo Vaughn comparison, I think there is a big difference as far as consistency and durability. Over their first six full seasons Prince averaged 160 games per season (virtually perfect) while Mo averaged 136. I see no reason to think he won't be a Frank Thomas or Jim Thome in his mid-30's.

Comment

• Cubs 6-1 UNBELIEVABLE.

I know a lot of this due to stupid Cubs fans putting money on it, BUT COME ON.
                                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X