No announcement yet.

MLB 2011!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If it was, you know the players would have loaded up -- bigtime.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Well, people loaded up on greenies and red juice (ie, amphetamines, banned this past season finally, IIRC) plenty in the 50s and 60s too
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Exactly my point. Cheating is a time-honored tradition in baseball.
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• My point is that a lifetime ban in all things baseball is not appropriate punishment for the crime.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• I think we all agree the Rose's punishment is entirely disproportionate to the crime. But what he did was specifically prohibited.

It's important to remember that a lot of the juicing was not actually against the rules at the time.

Comment

• Disproportionate! THAT'S the word I was seeking when I posted. Thanks. No matter the rules, it was disproportionate.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                But what he did was specifically prohibited.

It's important to remember that a lot of the juicing was not actually against the rules at the time.
                I think its important to point that out (both parts).
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• What about the fact that Rose's infraction was actually a support of the team, while the juicers were in support of their own interests?
                  To be honest, I watched him play and didn't really care at the time. This is Texas, it's football country. In remembering though, how he played the game and loved it, it's just not right.

What are your thoughts about Jim Thorpe? He broke the rules.

Comment

• Jim Thorpe was screwed monumentally.

Comment

• What Rose did, had no impact on the game, but it was specifically against the rules. He deserved to be punished but they went overboard.
                      The roiders had a big impact on the game but it wasn't specifically tested for at the time. I see it no different then the reds and greens of previous times. If baseball wanted them really not used, they should have tested for it. Now certain things are tested for and anyone caught deserves the strictest punishments. My opinion of those that used is slightly shaded but not that big of an issue. In my opinion, Barry was a HOFer prior and still should be. Sammy probably wasn't before and probably shouldn't be. If I was voting, I'd probably not vote for Barry the first year but would the second which I would consider my slap on the wrist.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Cincy signs Ryan Madsen to a 1 year deal for $8.5 million - a slight overpay, but the Reds seem to be going all in because they feel the NL Central is ripe for taking. With Latos in the rotation and Marshall and Madsen in the bullpen, not to mention their offensive prowess, the Reds are going to be a team to watch for this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                          Jim Thorpe was screwed monumentally.
                          Yes, he was screwed monumentally. The punishment didn't fit the crime. Ditto Rose. Ditto the SMU Mustangs and the Death Penalty they received, which I think all here acknowledge.
                          I have not one problem with discipline, but it needs to be a fair punishment.

Comment

• Tigers' Victor Martinez likely out for year with knee injury

By Mike Dodd, USA TODAY
                            Updated 41m ago

Victor Martinez, ready to settle into a full-time Detroit Tigers DH Victor Martinez could be lost for the season after tearing a knee ligament in training designated hitter role with the Detroit Tigers, is expected to be lost for the season after suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during offseason training.

Martinez, who hit .330 with 103 runs-batted-in last year, is likely to need surgery, the Tigers said. No specifics of how the injury occurred were immediately revealed. A MRI confirmed the injury and Martinez will be examined next week by Dr. Richard Stedman to determine if surgery is required, the Detroit Free Press reported.

Detroit acquired catcher Gerald Laird this offseason to free up Martinez from back-up duties to starter Alex Avila.

The Tigers thus went from prohibitive favorites to merely strong favorites in the weakened AL Central Division. Martinez, 32, is entering the second year of a four-year, $50-million contract.
                            Ah, nuts.
                            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Jeez, the Yankees. From a weekness in their starting pitching to a strength. Pineda (through trade) and Kuroda (through very reasonable free agency deal) as #2 and #3 makes them a scary team.

Though they will miss Montero, they had to make the deal for Pineda.

Comment

• I hope this guy is worth it.

Darvish, Rangers reach $60M deal

Comment

Working...
                                X