No announcement yet.

MLB 2011!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buehrle's one of the few guys who I believe will not let a few million dollars sway him.

I'll be really bummed if the Sox don't at least compete for him. And I expect to be really bummed...
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Btw, no discussion on the new Red Sox Manager?

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• No.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• So it begins...with bad news for Tyler Colvin.

The Cubs signed free agent outfielder David DeJesus to a two-year, $10 million deal with an option for 2014, making him the first move of the Theo Epstein-Jed Hoyer era.

DeJesus, a left-handed hitter who turns 32 next month, has a career .284 hitter over nine seasons with Kansas City and Oakland, though he batted only .240 last year with the A's. He'll be the presumptive right-fielder, replacing Tyler Colvin and Bryan LaHair, and can move into the leadoff spot.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Yeah, too bad for Colvin, but you can't say he wasn't given the opportunity.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Great first deal. A very Theo/Moneyball under the radar play. For further analysis:

It appears that despite the move to the Windy City, Theo Epstein hasn’t lost his touch. In his first move since joining the Cubs as their President of Baseball Operations, Epstein signed*

A portion:

It appears that despite the move to the Windy City, Theo Epstein hasn’t lost his touch. In his first move since joining the Cubs as their General Manager, Epstein signed David DeJesus to a two year, $10 million contract today. The contract also has an option for a third year.

Just by taking a glance at DeJesus’ player page, it’s easy to fall in love with this deal. DeJesus is no star outfielder and his name doesn’t conjure up images of diving catches or towering home runs, but he’s a quietly productive and underrated player. He’s no whiz with the bat — .277/.349/.417 line over the last three years, which translates to a .334 wOBA and 5% above average — but he makes up for it by being an above average baserunner and defensive outfielder. DeJesus played the majority of the 2011 season in right field for the Athletics, and depending on what defensive stat you trust most, he was anywhere from a +10 to +13 fielder out there. He had one of his worst seasons at the plate last year — .309 wOBA, 5% below average — but even then, he managed to be a 2.2 WAR player in right.

So on the face of things, the Cubs just got a great deal. They signed an average outfielder to a below-market rate contract — they’re paying him like he’s a 1.0 WAR outfielder, essentially — and they filled their hole in right field. They also improved their team overall, as DeJesus is an improvement over 34-years-old-and-sinking-fast Kosuke Fokudome.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• The new big money Marlins strike:

Jose Reyes, 6 years for $106 million with a 1 year option for $22 mil at the end of it. Wow! I guess either him or Hanley have to be moved to 2B though.

Comment

• The fish are making some waves. In addition to landing Reyes, they reeled in Heath Bell and have been casting in the direction of CJ Wilson and Albert Pujols as well.
                  Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Apparently the SEC is looking at them at well because of concerns they may have bribed local officials for their sweetheart stadium deal.

Comment

• Whether there is bribery or not, city funded stadium deals are all crooked to start with.

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                      The new big money Marlins strike:

Jose Reyes, 6 years for $106 million with a 1 year option for $22 mil at the end of it. Wow! I guess either him or Hanley have to be moved to 2B though.
                      I hear Hanley is moving to 3rd and he isn't happy about it.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• I don't think it makes sense to piss off your biggest star, but whatev.

Comment

• One would think.

Comment

• Michael Young got his feelings hurt a couple of times, but has thrived at every turn. He went bonkers once named as "Super Utility", but then kicked ass.
                            Hanley can get over it.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• The difference is that Hanley can make a ton in Free Agency when his turn comes.

Comment

• I still don't see a difference.
                                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                                X