No announcement yet.

MLB 2011!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting. So Lee goes back to Philly. That's one sick rotation.

I have to hope now that the Yankees don't make a panic trade. I'd much rather they make every effort to bring Pettitte back and then roll with what they have. I think Greinke is a bad target (though generally I don't buy the whole "player X can't hack it in NY" Greinke has actually had depression/anxiety problems that kept him off the field).

The Red Sox have to be the favorites for the AL East, given their offseason. I'm still kind of amazed that Theo & Co. gave Carl Crawford 7/$142. Granted, that's paying for his age 29-35 seasons, so it might work out, but wow, that's a long, expensive deal. Crawford's good, but I guess the Sox have a lot of faith in his defensive value. I can't say I'd have been happy had the Yankees made that deal.

So the Yankees and Rays will probably be duking it out for 2nd in the East and, hopefully, the WC. At least so it seems now, in December, on paper.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• The Crawford deal was overly expensive, but after what Werth got, you know his price would shoot up.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian View Post
        Interesting. So Lee goes back to Philly. That's one sick rotation.
        See if you can spot Joe Blanton in this picture:

"Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
        "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
        "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

• Well, Blanton is apparently headed to the Red Sox.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Speaking of aces, Greinke gets dealt to the Brewers!

The Milwaukee Brewers are going all in for 2011, acquiring former Cy Young winner Zack Greinke in a trade with the Kansas City Royals.

The Royals announced Sunday that they acquired shortstop Alcides Escobar, outfielder Lorenzo Cain and right-handed pitching prospects Jake Odorizzi and Jeremy Jeffress from the Brewers in exchange for Greinke, shortstop Yuniesky Betancourt and cash considerations.
            The Brewers now have a top 3 of Shawn Marcum, Zack Greinke, and Yovani Gallardo. Very impressive indeed! The Royals get some good prospects, but I'm sure they would have prefered to keep Greinke.

Comment

• And the Brewers go all in. Cool.

All quiet at Imperial HQ. The Empire sleeps. I'm gaining confidence (that they will avoid some impulsive, stupid, short-sighted reaction trade).

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Roberto Alomar & Bert Blyleven

Morris & Trammell gaining ground.
                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Blyleven!!!! FINALLY!!!

And Alomar is a good entry as well, though Larkin should be gotten it as well. And the vote totals for Bagwell and Raines are just plain disappointing .

Comment

• Larkin is making good progress.

+1 for FINALLY BLYLEVEN!!
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• This is a a surprise, for some reason.

Ex-manager Green's granddaughter killed in Arizona shooting
                      CBSSports.com wire reports
                      Jan. 9, 2011

PHILADELPHIA -- The 9-year-old girl killed by a gunman who opened fire at an Arizona congresswoman's event is the granddaughter of former major league baseball manager Dallas Green, the Philadelphia Phillies said Sunday.

Christina-Taylor Green was shot outside a Tucson grocery story when she went to see Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, who was meeting with constituents there. Giffords was among 13 people wounded in the melee that killed six people, including Arizona's chief federal judge and an aide for the Democratic lawmaker. Related links

"The Phillies organization expresses our heartfelt condolences to Dallas and Sylvia and the entire Green family on the senseless, tragic loss of Christina's life," team president David Montgomery said. "She was a talented young girl with a bright promising future. Her untimely death weighs heavily on our hearts. Our thoughts and prayers are with all the families affected by yesterday's horrific shooting."

An uncle of the 9-year-old girl told the Arizona Republic that a neighbor was going to the event and invited her along because she had just been elected to the student council and was interested in government.

Dallas Green is a former pitcher and manager in the major leagues. He's an executive advisor for the Phillies, the team he managed to the World Series championship in 1980.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Ouch for the Cards:

St. Louis Cardinals ace Adam Wainwright will undergo Tommy John surgery on his right elbow and will miss the entire 2011 season, general manager John Mozeliak said Thursday.

Wainwright out of the year. With this and the Pujols saga, it won't be a good year in St. Louis.

Comment

• yup, big loss

Comment

• Eek, more details have come out in Cabrera's arrest. Not just drunk driving, but threatening to kill police and the manager of a restaurant. Ugh.
                            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Opening Day! Some great games today. I'm so glad baseball is back .

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X