Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good match Imran, and thx for playing

Comment

• Yeah, I'm surprised he did so good with so few moves. Well played.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
        Torre to step down at the end of this season - Mattingly to take over for him - after a highly disappointing season:

Don Mattingly will replace Joe Torre as Dodgers manager at the end of the season.

---

Also with 16-17 games to go (depending on the team), the AL playoffs are virtually locked up with New York, Tampa, Minnesota, and Texas well in front. The only question seems to be who will in the AL East? Tampa has an easier schedule.

The NL is more interesting. Cincinatti looks like the only lock (The Reds? Really... how did that happen?). Philly has a small lead over the Braves and the NL West is all sorts of fun with the Giants have a half game lead over the fading San Diego and a 2.5 game lead over the Rockies. And in the Wild Card, the Braves have the same record as the Giants, so the Pads and Rockies are the same number of games behind. Should be a fun final few weeks in the NL!
        Tampa wins the East, and the ALCS, finishing off the Rangers and then Twins in eight total games (yes, the Twins take out the Yanks in 5). The Braves and Phillies both get playoff spots, the Rockies win the west and CIN of course wins the central. The Braves-Rockies series goes five games and is won by Ubaldo Jimenez and Troy Tulowitzki (but not the rest of that team...), while the Phils beat the Reds in four. COL hits a buzz-saw in PHI and Tulo only has five homers in the series, so they lose in seven. Tampa beats Philadelphia in a rematch of 2008, in seven games, behind solid pitching and great defense.
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fistandantilus View Post
          Yeah, I'm surprised he did so good with so few moves. Well played.
          To be honest, it's more of product of forgetfulness and neglect. I should have done more movies, but I guess I drafted well.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
            Tampa wins the East, and the ALCS, finishing off the Rangers and then Twins in eight total games (yes, the Twins take out the Yanks in 5). The Braves and Phillies both get playoff spots, the Rockies win the west and CIN of course wins the central. The Braves-Rockies series goes five games and is won by Ubaldo Jimenez and Troy Tulowitzki (but not the rest of that team...), while the Phils beat the Reds in four. COL hits a buzz-saw in PHI and Tulo only has five homers in the series, so they lose in seven. Tampa beats Philadelphia in a rematch of 2008, in seven games, behind solid pitching and great defense.
            I like the scenario. However, I think the Giants can hang on in the NL West. I can definitely see the Rays and Phils in the WS again, but the Twins and Yanks both look good.

How about awards (you own personal opinion, of course)?
            NL MVP: Joey Votto, CIN
            AL MVP: Josh Hamilton, TEX
            NL Cy Young: Roy Halladay, PHI
            AL Cy Young: Felix Hernandez, SEA
            NL Rookie of the Year: Jaime Garcia, STL (Jason Heyward, ATL a very, very close 2nd)
            AL Rookie of the Year: Neftali Feliz, TEX
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Phillies are ending the season really well. Sweep of the Braves, solidifing their "any day now" NL East title, and now the Braves have to be looking at trying to avoid losing the Wild Card.

Comment

• How about awards (you own personal opinion, of course)?
                NL MVP: Troy Tulowitzki, COL
                AL MVP: Paul Konerko, CHW
                NL Cy Young: Ubaldo Jimenez, COL
                AL Cy Young: CC Sabathia, NYY
                NL Rookie of the Year: Starlin Castro, CHC
                AL Rookie of the Year: Neftali Feliz, TEX

All of yours are quite reasonable, here's more of a second slate of possibliities. I don't think any of them are locks except perhaps AL ROTY where there just isn't another good option. I think Felix SHOULD get MVP but won't because of the west coast and bad team biases, and a 20 game winner is not common even on the Yanks anymore. I doubt Paulie will get too many MVP votes now that the Sox are out of it, but he's the reason they were in it, and would get mine Starlin should have a good shot at ROTY, he's had a great season; that should be a very competitive race between six or seven guys. If COL wins the west, Tulo will be the no-question NL MVP. Ubaldo and Roy are basically tossups for Cy Young this year, though his start last night didn't help the cause much.

Comment

• I don't know about Tulo being the "unquestioned" NL MVP if Colorado makes it. It'll be very close considering Votto's amazing year and the fact the freaking CINCINNATI REDS are in the playoffs.

Comment

• I think it will be a landslide. People have short memories, and they'll remember a record setting number of home runs in September as well as him basically willing them into the postseason. I suppose it requires him hitting a few more, but I think he will; and I think he'll win with 2/3 or more of the first place votes if that happens.

Comment

• Hopefully not. Votto is more deserving... I'm basing this not just on hitting stats (like OPS+ or whatnot), but things like WAR and VORP. Also Tulo missed quite a bit of time, which should diminish his votes not increase them.

Comment

• I'm not sure I agree that stats should specifically determine MVP. MVP is not necessarily 'best player', but should take into account other things like team leadership and even timing; and Tulo is doing it from a much 'harder' position. There are hitting awards that specifically award statistical performance; I don't think MVP ought to be a sabermetric award. I think if you take your team on your back and basically singlehandedly will them into the playoffs while setting a record for September HRs, you should get the MVP for that.

Comment

• I am of the opinion that stats should account for 75% of the MVP and then other things like where the team is in the standings can be considered. Tulo isn't even really the MVP of his own team, IMO.

Comment

• A .970 OPS, nearly 30 HR, nearly 100 RBI (both numbers may be reachable if he stays hot), 10SB from a shortstop who is a well above average fielder at his position (+0.6 RF/9 vs league average), in 120 games ... hard to argue with that I think, particularly when it came at the right time to carry his team to a division title.

Comment

• Votto has a 1.020 OPS (so .050 higher), in an offensive position, and only slightly more counting stats, again in an offensive position. He's a very good fielder, certainly, perhaps better relatively than Tulo, but not in nearly as difficult of a position to field... I think Tulo's stats are close enough to Votto's, particularly counting positional differences, that he'll win out (and should) as long as they make the playoffs and he stays hot.

Comment

• While he may, I don't think he should. Votto is better in WAR and WPA. His OPS+ is far higher, even though he is in a far less demanding defensive position.

Also Tulo plays in Colorado, and you know the impression of Colorado players and hitting.

Comment

Working...
                                X