Little League - 2010 Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little League - 2010 Edition

I love spring. The tryouts, the green grass on the fields, the mud puddles around home plate that need to be cleaned up.

So this year I'm managing Pony ball - that's 7 and 8 year-olds with a pitching machine (the manual catapult type). Looking forward to a fun season; hopefully my kid can catch a ball now that he has glasses.

Oldest son (12) just got his team roster, and it looks like a decent one. We got the manager I was hoping for, so at least the kids should have fun whether they win or not.

And my wife decided to manage a t-ball team that my daughter is on. Good luck to her.

I'll post updates when I feel like it. Happy Spring!!
    "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
    "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
    "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

I remember when my Mom dropped me off for the first time at munchkin league, I looked upon a massive field of green with several diamonds and what seemed like 1000 kids all trying out for various teams. I think I cried I was so scared.

and dont worry if your kid doesn't catch on right away. Seriously, until the muscles and coordination develop little league is strictly entertainment I played and I was lost out there, but that was all irrelevant when puberty hit

Comment

Ok - so one team in the 7-8 year old division is totally stacked. And it happens to be the commissioner's kid's team. Wow - what a shock.

How should I deal with this when I play them again?

1. Ignore it.
      2. Field the best kids in the best positions and make the best lineup possible while adhering to league rules. (Note that this means some kids will not be getting much playing time at all).
      3. Refuse to play against this ridiculously stacked team because my players realize there's something not right here.

Very interested in feedback. My first instinct is to go with number 3, but that's probably wrong.

Edit: I should note that we lost 30-2 last time we played them, the "30" being thanks to the mercy rule (5 runs an inning max, 6 inning game - you do the math)
      Last edited by Stuie; May 25, 2010, 22:21. Reason: bastards
      "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
      "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
      "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Given that you're from Philadelphia, I suggest stabbing the commissioner's son in the face.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Option 3.

Or the stabby-stabby thing.
          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I'd say Option 1. It's just kids having fun.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I agree.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

When I played little league, I didn't really give a **** about the score.

Except for when I played my little brother's team in the Contra Costa County championship. And he hit a game-winning homerun in the bottom of the 9th. I wish I was making that up.

Hated baseball ever since. Douche sport.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I nominate #3 to be renamed the Alex Burrows option.

Comment

Working...
                  X